• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Log: Aquatic PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice work! I'm wondering if the original Alphacool block have worked if you did the same mod to the heat shield?

Am I the only one who has realized that there's a rat nest next to a radiator with water, and that water + electricity don't usually like to play together?

Looks great, but I'd fix that.

Thanks GTXJackBauer. Yeah it was a long time, but I finally finished :p There were times that even I thought I never would. Life has an annoying habit of getting in the way sometimes... And yes, I know I lucked out. She's even curious as to how it all works so I even got to explain to her as I went along.

Nice work! I'm wondering if the original Alphacool block have worked if you did the same mod to the heat shield?

Not without fashioning hold down plates for it. In my other thread, drkknightsolano was able to get it to work by modifying the back plates that came with the PS3's stock cooler.

Am I the only one who has realized that there's a rat nest next to a radiator with water, and that water + electricity don't usually like to play together?

Looks great, but I'd fix that.

True, but the same can be said for any watercooled computer. Maybe I'm just deluding myself into thinking it won't leak :shrug: I really don't have any other place to put the radiator unfortunately. Should I really be concerned about leaks? I may just rearrange things and place it out of reach of the cords just to be safe.

Naa, you checked it well as you built it, your not a noob. Leaks can happen, but prevention and wire management can help. So can circuit breakers in the box.

Your good, we all deal with it.

Bahh, I'm a grumpy old man. I don't touch consoles, the controllers have way to many buttons.........

Until you see my master plan, the new PC is built, just gotta weld some brackets, and no, it's not a console setup with massive controllers on a huge-assed TV playing the new Mechwarrior.

Thanks tho, I'm a small cog in the wheel of helpers here.

Can't wait to see it. And I think you give yourself too little credit. But yes, thanks for taking the time to help. Others and myself included.

A new pc build / h20 system I'am hearing correctly? If so, than w00t w00t. Can't wait to see pictures.

So it seems all's not well in the WC PS3 world...

First major gaming session after having it WC'ed (about an hour and a half of Papo & Yo, a PSN game so no disc) and the thing just shut off. No warning beeps, no blinking lights, just off. Completely unresponsive. The same way it did when I had the bad thermal paste and no fan on the bottom... Crap...

Checked the top of the PS3 and it was unbearably hot to the touch. Next I checked the radiator and the water inside and both of them were lukewarm. This leads me to believe that the heat isn't being transferred from the chip to the block? It's too late right now to do any experimenting, but I wanted to see if anybody would have any idea of what it could be.

I'll be checking the thermal paste tomorrow to see if I can get any clues as to why this is happening. I'm hoping I won't have to install a fan on the top, but that might be my next option if the mount was indeed good. I've thought about installing a temp probe and thermometer, but every single one I found only runs on the 5V rail and my external PSU only gives 12V. I'd rather avoid using a battery powered thermometer as I don't want to keep replacing the battery.

I'm literally stumped as I thought I'd solved this. I had to wait for it to cool down, then I had to switch the PS3 off from the back and switch it back on for the red standby light to come back on... Bah! I don't know what I was thinking with this project...

10 year old post. probably you sold it already. or solved the issue.
but good to know the system was designed to cool every part with 1 fan. so air from the front goes through the psu, and then goes to transfer heat. but you know it by now probably. :)
Anyways. If you still have the package, can you measure the cooling alphacool unit if it is in a disassembled state?
every size matters, I'd like to ask a friend to cnc a block for me. thank you

Back