• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Log: Caselabs TH10 Dual 480 Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's been a little over two years since I built this rig. I'm still using it, but the time has come for the inevitable upgrade. So I am thinking of the following:

Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
Intel 4930K Ivy Bridge-E CPU
64GB G.Skill Ripjaw Z Series DDR3 2400 Memory
Crucial M500 460GB SSD
Western Digital Black 4TB SATA III Hard Disk
3 x EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper Video Cards

I plan to reuse most of my current water cooling set up. I have kept it clean...but it has been in use for over two years. So some parts will be replaced. The new build will get:

1. New pumps for each loop. I'll hang on to the existing pumps as spares.
2. All new tubing.
3. New CPU water block (obviously I need this)

The fans, radiators, and reservoirs will be reused, as will all of the compression fittings.

I'm probably about a week away from ordering hardware. When I get everything together and build it I will post benchmarks just like I did on my last build.

Once the new system is in place I will part out the old stuff on eBay to recoup a few bucks.
I'm jealous at how much money you have at your disposal :cry:

I would say get the Rampage iv BE

It isn't out yet as far as I know, only announced with no pricing and availability. If it becomes available in the next week or so then I'll consider it, but I won't delay my build for it.

The 800 series Nvidia cards are expected Q1 of next year, I have read. And I thought about waiting for them but decided against it. I would hold things up for a few weeks but not several months.

And the first thing I would update / throw out
Is the fans the CM fans suck get GT AP -15s or AP -00/45

Thanks for the suggestion, but the CM fans are just fine. They are just a little bit noisier than I was expecting but are more than acceptable, and certainly not a problem to the point where I would be willing spend $300 or more on replacement fans.

I changed my mind and decided against doing a complete system rebuild. After carefully considering the costs/benefits I came to the conclusion that investing in an X79 platform for two more cores, four additional DIMM slots, and PCI-e 3.0 really isn't worth it.

So I will stay on my Sandy Bridge 2600K processor and Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z until Haswell-e launches and then I will reconsider upgrading at that time. I'll bump the memory in my rig from 16GB to 32GB and that will tide me over for now.

I did, however, go for an upgrade to my triple SLI EVGA GTX 570 set up, and bought a pair of EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper cards and a new Dell U3014 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.

I did, however, go for an upgrade to my triple SLI EVGA GTX 570 set up, and bought a pair of EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper cards and a new Dell U3014 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.

Good move my friend. I would've waited for DDR4 etc next year and grabed what you did for that resolution. Of course budget permitting. lol I actually would've grabbed 2 Classified HC's. Only $30 more each but worth it. I do hope you got them at their new price cut. After only owning them for 2 months when they just came out I already lost my @$$. :bang head

There's been another change. The Dell 30" monitor was back-ordered and I considered placing an order elsewhere that had it in stock. But instead...yeah, you guessed it...I changed my mind again. I ordered a third EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper and three QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 2560 x 1440 monitors.

Now, I don't expect every game to run well at 7680 x 1440 even with three EVGA GTX 780s. But a fair number of them will, I estimate. And I didn't go for the three Korean 27" 1440p monitors with gaming mostly in mind. Having three monitors is a huge boon to my productivity at work (I work mostly out of my home office). Having some games run well at 7680 x 1440 is icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. For those games won't deliver a good experience at that resolution I will run on one monitor at 2560 x 1440. This is pretty much what I do now on my triple 24" 1080p monitor setup. The thing here is I am taking a little bit of a risk on these Korean monitors, but I suspect it will work out well. I bought three of them for slightly less than the price of the Dell U3014 2560 x 1600 monitor. It should be a lot of fun.

A few goodies arrived today. A 32GB memory kit from G.Skill and two EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper video cards. A third card is on order and should be here in about a week.

GTX780_CL_Hydro.jpg

A few goodies arrived today. A 32GB memory kit from G.Skill and two EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper video cards. A third card is on order and should be here in about a week.

GTX780_CL_Hydro.jpg

:drool: Wow, congrats.

Hope you know the 780ti Classified hydro copper is in works. Bummed I can't use the step up program towards a 780ti Classy HC only to get a reference one from one of those. :bang head

I'm aware of it. The 780 Ti is pretty much playing out as I expected. I bought the 780 Classy HCs because the price/performance ratio was attractive after the price cuts. So I could buy up to three of them and stay within my budget. Buying three 780 Ti HC cards would have put me over budget -- assuming they will be priced the same as the 780 Classy HC prior to the price cut.

I'm confident that I will be happy with this set up for the next couple of years.

I'm aware of it. The 780 Ti is pretty much playing out as I expected. I bought the 780 Classy HCs because the price/performance ratio was attractive after the price cuts. So I could buy up to three of them and stay within my budget. Buying three 780 Ti HC cards would have put me over budget -- assuming they will be priced the same as the 780 Classy HC prior to the price cut.

I'm confident that I will be happy with this set up for the next couple of years.

Oh right on. Just wanted to give you a heads up as some people didn't know. 3 780 Classy Hydros :drool:......should last you years! Man what I would do to have your setup for surround. lol

I'm sitting here sipping on a nice single malt scotch and am about to reverse myself on an earlier decision. I have now concluded that the best available platform today for triple or quad SLI/Crossfire is X79. So I'm back to considering an Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 6-Core 4930K Ivy Bridge, and 64GB of memory.

I'm sitting here sipping on a nice single malt scotch and am about to reverse myself on an earlier decision. I have now concluded that the best available platform today for triple or quad SLI/Crossfire is X79. So I'm back to considering an Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 6-Core 4930K Ivy Bridge, and 64GB of memory.

I would do the same. Those GPU's will no doubt bottleneck your existing setup. That new setup if you do buy would last you years. I like buying high end setups for 4-5 years of use till they start showing signs of slow down.

I have already placed the order. The Asus Rampage IV Black will be released on Nov 19th so I probably won't have it until the end of next week.

In the end I could not see putting three GTX 780 Classy HCs on a Z68 motherboard. And if I was going to spend over $2,000 on GPUs I might as well throw in another couple of grand and run those cards on the best platform I can.

I have already placed the order. The Asus Rampage IV Black will be released on Nov 19th so I probably won't have it until the end of next week.

In the end I could not see putting three GTX 780 Classy HCs on a Z68 motherboard. And if I was going to spend over $2,000 on GPUs I might as well throw in another couple of grand and run those cards on the best platform I can.

:thup: Agree, plus that type of platform will last years instead of upgrading every 2 years.

My next main upgrade components is what is left to do. CPU/MB/RAM/SSD Everything else has been upgraded every few years. Once the final upgrades are there I should be good for 5 years.

It's funny how a few upgrades can snowball into a major project, but I think I have it all worked out.

All of the additional PC hardware is on order. All told here is what I am upgrading to:

1. Intel Ivy Bridge-E 4930K 6-Core CPU
2. Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Motherboard
3. 32GB Gskill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2133 Memory
4. Crucial M500 480GB SSD
5. Western Digital Black 4TB 7,200RPM SATA Hard Disk
6. Three EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper video cards
7. EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply
8. Three 27" 2560 x 1440 IPS monitors

I'll start with 32GB of memory and add another 32GB in a month or two after the build. The cost of this system escalated as I changed my upgrade objectives so I had to stretch my budget a bit.

On the water cooling side I am going to do a complete rebuild. The only parts I will reuse are the reservoirs and 480mm radiators. Here's the bill of materials.

1. Koolance CPU-380I Water Block
2. Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing
3. Two Swiftech MCP 655-B D5 Pumps
4. Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnects (one set for each loop)
5. Bitspower Compression Fittings
6. Bitspower Dual Rotary Compression Fittings
7. Silver KillCoils (one for each loop)
8. IC Diamond 24 Carat Thermal Compound

If anyone thinks that 480mm of rad isn't enough for three GTX 780s let me know. It has proven to be plenty for my three overclocked GTX 570s. Under sustained full load my GPU temps never get higher than 56C.

The layout of the WC loops will change a bit (for the better, I think) and the QDCs will give me a convenient way to drain my loops. I'm not looking to create a visual work of art with my WC build and probably won't win any awards for aesthetics. I am far more interested in performance than I am in bling. The water cooling components just need to be smartly organized; in my world function is king. I thought about putting quick disconnects on all connections but changed my mind. It was cost prohibitive, and a video of someone who ended up with coolant all over his system when a QDC failed was also convincing. I also had concerns that such a set up might be too flow restrictive. I will be placing the QDCs on the reservoir/pump inlets, which will essentially be the lowest point in the loops. If they leak a bit when disconnected it will only result in some water in the very bottom of my case; it won't trash several thousand dollars in equipment.

While not really water cooling related, I will also order a set of DEMCflex dust filters for my Caselabs Magnum TH10.

I know the water cooling side doesn't look like I'm buying a lot but the tab came to a little over $600. I thought about buying new fans but decided that what I have is OK and the last thing I needed was to add another $200 or so in unnecessary costs.

Since this will be a lot of work I am taking the week after Thanksgiving off so I can do the build and spend some time with it. Once this is all done I will put all of the old hardware up for sale and get what I can for it.

Last edited:
I hope you buy this all on cyber week. Should be nice to the wallet. :D

You'll need more than a 480mm imo to cool 3 Classys. My classy with my stock 130w CPU is on a 120.5 of heat surface and when it I put the OC from hell, my delta gets 18c, 60c on GPU, and 45c-48c water temp with an ambient of 28c-30c. I would go minimum 120.2 per chip if you want a nice quiet operation with adequate heat dissipation. I would go with 2 480mm rads for your whole build. The more heat surface the better the temps will be.

What are your rad fans btw?

Also, take a look at the MCP-35X2 pumps. Great top comes with them in serial. PWM controlled if you pick up the wire from Swiftech. The wire harness controls both pumps as one. I got it and think its great.

Really? I find that somewhat surprising. Three GTX 780s overclocked to the maximum allowable power draw is 861 watts (and I don't plan to run my cards nearly that hard). A decent 480mm radiator should be able to handle that.

I'll need to research this more before I will commit to what you are recommending. Normally I would just do it...but the cost of this system is now approaching $6,000 and I am getting to the point where my wallet is starting to cry uncle. I am simply unwilling to add to my water cooling costs by tacking on a lot of stuff unless I am convinced that it's absolutely necessary. The water cooling system I have has served me very well and it is difficult for me to accept that my current GPU loop can't handle an additional 90 to 120 watts of heat dissipation. I'll do what I have to in order get what I need, but I also need to start putting the brakes on costs, which are starting to spiral out of control.

You can get all of the details on my current water cooling rig by jogging up thread.

Last edited:
There is something that I have not given much thought to when I did my first WC set up, and that is pump failure. I have two loops in my current build and each has one pump, and therefore a single point of failure.

So I am thinking of revising my design to put two pumps in each loop. I know this will add to the cost, which is something I was hoping to avoid. But I am starting to see redundant pumps as a necessity. I run my system pretty much 24/7/365.

With two pumps per loop I think a pair of XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay reservoirs might be the way to go. Given the cost to implement this change it makes sense to go a little bit further and add a 240mm radiator to the GPU loop.

I think you should slow down and touch up in our water cooling stickies as well as marintsliquidlab to understand what load you will be putting in that loop. I wouldn't do 2 loops with 4 pumps, especially when you're wallet is hurting. Read up and convince yourself is all I can say.

I appreciate the suggestion. I'll be fine. I'm confident that I'll sort it all out so I am not worried about it. I'm not planning on placing an order for the WC components until after Thanksgiving, so I am giving myself plenty of time to make up my mind. I won't be doing the build until December.

If my wallet was really hurting I simply would not spend the money and it's as simple as that. The cost of the build is getting close to hitting the high water mark in terms of budget and I really don't want it to wander any further north.

All of the PC hardware is ordered and most of it is already here. The motherboard, CPU, and power supply are on their way from Newegg and are expected to be here tomorrow. The monitors should be here in a couple of days. I have no regrets about buying the hardware even though it added a lot to the cost.

Last edited:
Back