• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Log (first WC build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Ok guys so some of my parts have arrived at work so i though i would start my build log now! XD

My rig is in my sig!

So I'm going to start off with a CPU loop. And to cut down on costs ( as it is my first WC build ) i decided to go with the XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling Kit. Which consists of:-

1 x XSPC Rasa Black CPU Waterblock
1 x XSPC RS360 Radiator
1 x CPU Backplate for 1366, 1156, 1155, 775
3 x 120mm Fan
1 x XSPC X20 750 Pump & Reservoir combo
2 x 7/16" Clear Tubing
6 x 1/2" Barb Fittings ( i have got 4XEK compression fittings for my block and rad cos i think barbs are a bit ugly. :p)
1 x 5mm Blue LED
1 x Velcro Mounting Pad for Pump
6 x Hose Clips
1 x 80 - 120mm Radiator Mounting Kit
1 x Thermal Paste
1 x CPU Mounting Kit
3 x 120mm Fan Grill

I have also got 5L of dionised water and a 10ML bottle of Mayhem Biocide. Im going to stick with clear water without any colouring for now. I'll probs swap my tubing for some primochill blue transparent stuff, If i can find any! grrrr. :bang head

I will also be adding my GPu into the loop when i upgrade it!

Anyhu

My EK fittings and biocide arrived at work! Excitement is mounting!:D

allwdg.jpg

ok so kit has arrived on my lunchbreak! ( couldnt take it all out and show it properly, but will replace with a better image when i get it home)

2wdrpjk.jpg

1zeurld.jpg
Hope you all enjoy the build!

Last edited:
The only issue i can see atm is getting the compression fittings on. They are 7/16 - 5/8 ones which is right its just they seem be pretty large ( the fittings ). Ie its hard to get the tubing on. But nothing a bit of hot water wont fix!

7/16" tubing will fit on 7/16" fittings easily. Have you tried and it won't work? Are you 100% you did not get 1/2" compression fittings?

7/16" tubing will fit on 7/16" fittings easily. Have you tried and it won't work? Are you 100% you did not get 1/2" compression fittings?

Yer thought that would be the case but I'm 100% sure i got 7/16 ones ( well at least that is what i ordered and thats what it says on the receipt. )

I just measured it and the ID of the fittings is defo 7/16 and the external 5/8. I Mean it isnt going to be impossible to fit it i just think i need to soften up the tube a little. I literally just tried to push the tubing onto the fitting to test it ( i did the same with the 1/2 barb fittings supplied and it was a dam site easier so im a little confused atm :S) Maybe the OD is bigger on the Comp fitting than the barbs which will cause it to be harder to put the tubing on?

Last edited:
You measure OD for compression fittings by the collar not the barn. ID is measure on the outside of the barb. Did you measure the inside? Or outside. I know it sounds weird but you measure the outside to get inside diameter.

lol wow im confused. The inside for both the tubing and compression fitting are exactly the same ( 7/16). The next fittings down is for 3/8 which is going to be too small surely? On the website i went under fittings for 7/16.

The tubing is pretty dam rigid when its cold so i had a bit of a difficult time getting it on. Just got home and cut a small bit of tubing off and dipped it in some boiling water, got it on with little or not trouble after that. Tightened up the fitting as much as possible. Gave it a good yank and it certainly aint coming loose anytime soon

Heres a pic of the bit of tubing i cut off+ fitting looks ok yer?

2uswx8i.jpg

the fitting is actually on tighter now cos when u screw it into the block you can tighten it up even more :)

Last edited:
Have no idea what the make of the tubing is. As I said it came with the kit. Its in the pic with the rest of the parts. I'll try and post a better pic tonight.

It's something I'm going to replace pretty swiftly. Seems of an orite quality though. Pretty rigid. Doesn't kink easily.

I'll post up more pics tonight! But there won't be many more till sat. One of my best mates is DJ'ing at fabric (a massive club in London) so its his big day! The build is going to have to be done mainly on sat!

These are the fittings i bought by the way

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=11310&cat=1623&page=1

It says they are for 7/16" tubing. Now ive got the tubing on and tightened it up im not too worried. If i cant pull it off using pretty much all my strength i doubt it will pop of while running the loop.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun.

Does the tubing have any writing on it? Take pics of the ends(sidewall thickness) and pics of it bending :)

okey here we go ( the pics you requested) :p

d457m.jpg

68d3d5.jpg

ok so before going out ( i have to leave in about an hour :O) ive managed to clean out my rad ( boiling water left to cool for 5 mins, 3 times left to soak for 10 mins them drain half and do the radiator shake! i also gave it a good rinse with some deionised water). I've also run de-ionised water through my cpu block and tubing to give it a good clean and make sure there is no bits in it.

33w0bno.jpg

Thats all ive managed to do tonight, but will post more pics/progress when im up and about tomorrow. ( be warned the pics will most likely be very blurry due to being terribly hungover!)

If people want me to post the images above rather than as i go please let me know :)

have a good night ppl!

P.S sorry i havent rotated the pic, running low on time! XD

ok so hazy and hungover ive started to to get things together. Ive installed the CPU Block and am about to slot in the rez/pump. Going to measure up the tubing and will post more pics when im done tubing!

23wkxea.jpg

fbg5lv.jpg

the posts will be a bit later guys! I just got a call saying ive got a free ticket to go watch arsenal Chelsea at the emirates ( for all you aUK footy fans :p So wont be installing tubing/ leak testing till later tonight! Peace

Thanks for the pics. The tubing looks to be of decent quality. That's a good sign. I love the way your CPU block looks. XSPC makes some clean looking blocks that's for sure!

Also: Just post pics as you go, the thread always seems to come out better so pages down, folks are asking questions about the very first post :D JMHO

Modz

The problem I had with that tank was with the channels cut out so it would slide into a dual 5.25" bay were 5mm deep and on my case the fins that stick out were 7mm so I couldn't get the tank in. Found a solution.

and I was thinking, if he used boiled tap water to clean the rad, could he of brought in more particles from the tap? causing more harm than good?

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    726.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
hey guys, ok so got home and done some work.

Installed everything, and im just about ready to leak test it!

neixjk.jpg

I'm just going with a push atm and will get another set of fans when i can afford the shroud for the top of my case!

Have done all my tubing too!

2m5e3rk.jpg

The problem I had with that tank was with the channels cut out so it would slide into a dual 5.25" bay were 5mm deep and on my case the fins that stick out were 7mm so I couldn't get the tank in. Found a solution.

and I was thinking, if he used boiled tap water to clean the rad, could he of brought in more particles from the tap? causing more harm than good?

i used boiled tap water then rinsed it with de ionised water after ( i was going on what the water cooling guide says in the forums!

Also ive had issues with the rez aswel. It doesnt clip in on both sides of my case. ( the 800d is a wikid cas, its just the locking mechanisms for the drive bays are WANK!)

It seems like the rez isnt wide enough for the bay so the little bit on the right hand side of the case doesnt slot into the holes in th side of the rez ( as sown below)

zix7ba.jpg

as a result it doesn't lock properly into place on the right hand side. so ive had to jam some cardboard in there for a temp measure to stop it from moving/ vibrating! ill figure something out more permanent later.

hvscpj.jpg

also i have no idea why all my pics are being rotated ( they are the right way up but when i upload them they seem to flip them i post it in the forum :S

well seems i have a dodgy pump people. Its making a horrible grinding noise. aparently its a problem with these pumps. Rather intolerable. really dont want to have to RMA it but seems like i will have to. erggggg

Wow that sucks having to RMA that pump. When working properly that pump setup is totally silent though.

That sucks about the pump, it happens though.

Your pics gave me an idea, is the tubing thin enough that from the res to the rad that you can run it through the grommets on the back side? That would clean up the tubing run somewhat.

Back