• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a gaming computer, need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Victoriusj

Hey, so I am trying to build an efficient yet cheap gaming computer, capable of handling current and near future games efficiently and well. I went onto multiple websites trying to find the best pieces for the best prices. I found a combo deal on new egg listing the following components:
# Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Model: BX80605I5760)
# GIGABYTE LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Model: GA-H55M-UD2H)
# GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (Model: GV-R577SO-1GD)
# AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner (White Box) - OEM (Model: A188)
# Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Model: CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)
# nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case (Model: 5000B)
# Thermaltake Black Widow 850W ATX 12V 2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power ... - Retail (Model: W0319RU)
# Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model: ST32000542AS)
# LITE-ON Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal BD-COMBO (Model: ihes108-29 - OEM)
# Thermaltake 92mm CPU Cooler (Model: CLP0534)

This goes for about 850 dollars. Will this be good enough to handle video games? Will this last me for at least one year? Is it really a good price? I can also buy those pieces separately so if there are any pieces you would replace please say so. Thank you so much.

I've been gaming on a dual core AMD and an 8800GT though not the highest of settings I've been able to game completely fine, I've just ran into issues with Black Ops, only game out of many of the current popular games. Your build seems fine considering you're on a budget. Have you considered going with an AMD build? Maybe a Western Digital Black Harddrive. Just my opinion. Goodluck on whatever you decide.

Seagates that are 1TB and over have really high failure rates.

Anyway, listing a Newegg combo is good and all, but read a little on the forums and stuff, see what others are buying, put together a wish list, and come back here. There's enough wrong with that combo that it's worth making another list.
Hint: An i5-750/760 is possibly the only thing I'd keep out of that. Possibly the RAM too, but as good as Corsair is, it's overpriced.

The Formula Gene is a microATX mobo, no reason for a small size. I'd rather get this Gigabyte, better bang for your buck:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412
Because it's cheap and has good components for the price. As it's a budget build I didn't see the point of more than enough expansion for the TV tuner and the video card. I'm pretty sure the MIIIGene doesn't have the new USB or SATA standard either. I just went with what I imagined this person was after which was a really stable OC, tv tuner, decentish HD, decentish video card. :)

Why not get the 300 Illusion and have the fan slots filled?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

Indeed :)

Back