• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building my 1st Rig. Opinions needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Douken

Ok so as the title goes I'm building a new rig to see the following:

-The so popular Dual Core Procesors (lets see why they are so famous)
-Get to see a game at full graphics running at 60+ FPS :confused: (have never seen that) & enjoy playing it!(at last)
-I need to feel good with myself...lol?:D

ok here it goes.

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor (Already have it here)
MOBO- DFI LANParty UT NF590 SLI-M2R (When they come out)
RAM-Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit
GPU-ATI Radeon X1800XT 256MB GDDR3
HDD RAID 0- SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
HDD Storage-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Case-APEVIA X-Navigator ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX aluminum
-PSU- was planing on using the one that comes with the case, but, u recomended on not using it so I'm full of ears

later on will buy theese, or maybe now depending on income

CPU cooling- ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Price...hurts
GPU cooling- ZALMAN VF900 - CU LED 80mm Blue LED

Opinions Welcome

You already have the processor but I would have said to get the 4400+ because the cache is twice as large.
You should be able to find hard drives with 16 MB buffers.
PSU may be OK if you do not overclock.

Everthing else looks good.

Personally I would spend the money to get a better PSU, I am not familiar with great and relatively inexpensive PSU's but I am sure someone around here will chime in and give their opinion.

Other than that I think the system is pretty good. I would also find a 16MB cache version of the 160GB drive. I am interested to see how it works out overall for you.

~jtjuska

K2Grey said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001

How much does the rest of your rig cost?

Just because you don't see PSU benchmarks for speed doesn't mean it's of little importance.
Thanks, I was looking at that PSU anyways. Will probably get that. about the total cost is I think around $1200+300 shipping or maybe more...who knows

and no no, of course I know PSU is very very important as a weak not very good PSU can fry ur components, not give the power as advertised and can fail easily resulting in waste of money.

now, a PSU that can Power up the second rig (the one I'm building shortly=hope) and just to mention it, I don't think I'll be doing Crossfire nor SLi and most probably will upgrade in the future to R600 or better

Last edited:
Douken said:

I would get the card discussed in [url='http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=473739"]this[/url] article but thats just me. link to the card

Douken said:

Why not just get two of the seagates as opposed to two samsung drives for raid 0 and one seagate? It will cost about the same and should perform far better, the only problem is that you wouldnt have a backup drive to mirror your data on incase the raid array fails. That seagate drive is mind blowingly fast for a 7200 rpm drive and even faster in raid 0. Some info on the performance of the seagate 7200.10 is here to bad you cant run intel matrix raid.

Last edited:
BossBorot said:
Why not just get two of the seagates as opposed to two samsung drives for raid 0 and one seagate? It will cost about the same and should perform far better, the only problem is that you wouldnt have a backup drive to mirror your data on incase the raid array fails.
that's why; I'll only make the array for things like OS, games and programs that I could easily download again or grab from the 7200.10;) and I saw that guy array with Intel Matrix wich is exagerated fast; thats why Im getting that HDD.

Last edited:
fabulouscoops said:
You already have the processor but I would have said to get the 4400+ because the cache is twice as large.
You should be able to find hard drives with 16 MB buffers.
PSU may be OK if you do not overclock.

Everthing else looks good.
Originally I was getting the X2 4000+ but I didn't have my shipping & billing address equal so the company where I bouth it ask me to add the address in PR to their records in the mean time the 4000+ were going and going....OUT OF STOCK. So they send me the 4200+ wich I won't complain cause now to find a 4000+ with the 1MB cache is imposible at $200 and will be imposible to even find it in a couple of months since they top doing it with 1MB lvl 2 cache.

What's your total budget for this build? Any reason that you're going with AM2 instead of conroe? Conroe outperforms AM2. I'd go with the ocz600w gamexstream. I have one and love it

Dragoon42 said:
What's your total budget for this build? Any reason that you're going with AM2 instead of conroe? Conroe outperforms AM2. I'd go with the ocz600w gamexstream. I have one and love it
oops, srry to no replies in a long time, any ways I picked AMD cause I have been with intel all my life I just want to give it a try, and anyways I will see performance since my current rig... if it can be call that, is a Celeron machine (northwood) wich u can see in my sig. I don't care about conroe now, I picked AM2 and thats what Im getting.

Ohh and total cost is around $1300-1500 incluiding the $350 shipping cost

Back