• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building my own video card heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawnmcc

I decided to build a heatsink out of my old cpu heatsinks. I am going to first course make mounts for the gpu. Nothing new there but one thing new I am going to do is put heat pipes for the memory on it. I am going to run the heat pipe through the heatsink and on to the memory. I might even extend the copper piping up wards to reduce the heat even more. So what do you think of this project. I will post pictures when its done.

Mounting cpu heatsinks on gpu has been done many times in the past with great results.
Sounds interesting but i would like to know how you propose to build your own heatpipes.

I have some copper pipes that I will bend and put together with electrical solder. I don’t know what kind of fluid to put in it I heard plain tap water can work or some of the more expensive water cooling water can work to.

Not sure I'd go that route.

In theory the idea sounds good, but I see a potential drawback:

The GPU is going to be much hotter than the memory. It would appear to me that you would be spreading the heat from the GPU onto the memory, not so much removing it. Perhaps a separate heatpipe just for the memory? (I suppose it depends on the card and memory layout.)

I have seen some commercial companies that sell heatpipes. No idea on the cost, but in principle it wouldn't be impossible to make one. The idea is basically lowering the pressure inside the pipe to match the boiling point of the liquid inside to the temperature point that you would want it to be most efficient at. I wouldn't say it'd be easy to do, but not impossible either.

As a side I did modify a Zalman Z3100 flower to go on an old Radeon 9500 Pro. Worked great. In fact it's still in use today.

I felt that if I created a small vacuum it would make up the difference in pressure. Now that is solved I am going to atach it to the fins of the heat sink to avoid chip temprature. So I can get the fan cooling I was hoping for.

Back