• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maximus V Extreme & PWM

When building my latest, like most people, I tired to plan the best cooling solution, and it was during this planning stage that I came across this thread. It took me a week to read the entire thread as it existed at that point in time.

In a summary, it was clearly started by people who's main interest was in air cooled overclocking, and the need to tightly control great server type PWM fans in their systems. The first areas that seemed to be covered were in discovering and building simple electronic circuits with manual control. Of later times there has been a divergence into using other sources of control, such as Arduino style items, and then even marrying this type with a micro-controller.

I started with a belief, shared consistantly through this thread, that PWM was the way to go for all the reasons that we are all aware. To that end, I bought a Maximus V Extreme MB, as it clearly showed 8 fan pinouts, all 4 pin PWM type. I built a watercooled system in a Silverstone TJ 11, and later discovered that the pinouts were not as PWM friendly as I had origonally wished. The amount of Duty % control is minimal in the BIOS for 5 of the 8 pin outlets, and for 3 can only be set at one % duty cycle.

Much hype surrounded the latest Fan Xpert 2 from Asus, including TJ making vids with people such as Newegg and Anandtech. However, I discovered that although this software is absolutely great to use.......has excellent visuals and settings, it controls the CPU_FAN outlets (CPU_OPT) via PWM, and converts all other pinouts to 12v DC variable. Further, I have yet to discover what temp source is being used to vary the outlets. I tried to gain some assistance to various question from Asus tech, and the best answer of three I received was to RMA the MB......:shock:

I had a chat with a friend of mine, and we discussed what would be the most suitable temp control for modern PWM water-cooled systems. We concluded that three independent cooling controls are needed. One of the pump, one for the fans, and the third for the remaining case fans. Further, the pump speed should be minimally changed according to CPU temp........the Rad fans should be changed according to water temp variation, and the case fans to motherboard temp changes. ..........and for lazy people like me, an automatic speed change to each area, as temps rose or fell.

Although Asus has and is selling motherboards that clearly are made with watercoolers in mind (Maximus V Formula), there is nothing offered either via their BIOS or software to assist the watercooling crowd. Even after market software controls such as Speed Fan, do not suit the MVE as Speed Fan it does not see OP_TEMP 1, 2 or 3. (http://www.bugtrack.almico.com/view.php?id=2050)

So this thread has been the best source of encouragement that I will finally be able to complete a goal commenced months ago. I have the small controller built, that I will use for the PWM pumps, I will control the rad fans via the CPU_FAN PWM outlet, and the remaining case fans via the BIOS.

Meanwhile, I am watching this thread as it advances, and hopeful that those more clued in the electronics and software field will connect a PWM controller with the PC itself. I enclose a couple of photos... one of the rads being used, and another after first firing up the PC.

Last edited:
So this thread has been the best source of encouragement that I will finally be able to complete a goal commenced months ago. I have the small controller built, that I will use for the PWM pumps, I will control the rad fans via the CPU_FAN PWM outlet, and the remaining case fans via the BIOS.

correct me if I'm wrong (my head is getting pretty dull lately :D)
you're intending to build the PWM controller to solely control the pump speed?
as for the rest of your fans (case and rads) will be controlled via your cpu and chassis fan header?

I had no experience with asus mobo, but for my previous DFI mobo, I did something similar with the above idea.
it had 3 fan header with control via bios consist of: system, NB, and cpu header.
I used the NB header to control the speed of my exhaust case fan, and the system for intake case fan, as the cpu as is.
the NB and system use the 12v to regulate the fan speed.
so you have a better luck with your ASUS mobo since it has PWM controlled style.

all you need is a power splitter and PWM splitter, since you surely don't want to overload your mobo fan heaer (power rail),
I suggest you build something like this:
View attachment 117937

omit the top row, as it's a 3pin header row.
the reason why I use a 6pin vga header is they are quite easy to get, and took smaller space than the regular molex header (not to mention that I don't need the 5v rails :D),
the PWM from the mobo (or a controller) is connected to the header on the right most and were distributed trough all the 4pin headers.

I quit using the mobo's bios controller since they offering was very limited to satisfy my curiosity in air bending :rofl:
although you may get a better luck with your mobo ;)

and you also might want to add two of the inverted schmitt trigger in series (one will change the phase to inverted) to amplify the mobo's PWM signal just in case you connect too much fans for a single header.

and much pretty soon, I think you'll want to switch to that arduino or MCU based controller to suffice your need, me think :chair:

Capacitors

Hello All,

I've been trying to get this working for a while as per the original how to:

http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fan-controller

I dont seem to be able to get it to work and have some doubt about the capacitors im using 3 of which are the ceramic disk type except the 10uf capacitor.
Are these ok to use, most of them are 50v but i see that other people dont seem to use these?

Any advice anyone could possibly give me about the capacitors they would recommend (and why if possible and thats not not big of an ask) would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, i have looked through this lengthy thread quite abit and dont seem to be able to find what im looking for.

Many thanks

As long as the capacitance of C2 is correct and all the capacitors are rated for at least 7.5v, it really doesn't matter much what caps you use. The sizes should be kept somewhere in the same ballpark, but the voltage can be anything you want, as long as it's over 7.5v.
Polarized capacitors can be used for any of them, just before they are oriented correctly.

@Jasonarronfax:
Ultimately, I would use Fan Xpert 2 if it did two things that are missing at this instant. (1) Control on each and every fan output pin being PWM, and (2) ...to be able to nominate the source temp to vary each fan pin output.
To answer your question then, I am looking to control three separate cooling sections:
1. 3 waterpumps; each is a Swiftech MCP35X. Two are in a MCP35X2 and the 3rd is in the CPU block..an Apogee drive II. Total max power= 54 watts. 4 wire PWM with 12v and earth going to PSU, tacho and PWM to motherboard and controller. Speed change dependent on temp of CPU. Preferred duty cycle between 20% and 30%.
2. 10 rad fans all PWM ..make Noctua ..model NF-F12 total combined power = 6 watts. 4 pin PWM with 12v and earth straight to PSU, tacho and PWM to motherboard and controller. Speed change dependent on water temp. Duty cycle from 50% to 100%.
3. Remaining fans..all case..4 in total.. 2 x 180... 1 x 80...1 x 120 pwm. Speed change dependent on motherboard temp. Duty cycle 50% to 100%

It is a tad sad that the Super IO in the MVE motherboard; a Nuvoton NCT6779D; can already cater for all the above, but as Bing mentioned in a previous post in this thread, the motherboard manufacturer has failed to impliment all it's abilities. A nice description of this Super IO family of chips can be found here:-
https://github.com/groeck/nct6775

@ inVain:
The reason at this instant that I intend to use the controller for the pumps alone is that I can then use the PWM signal from the MB's CPU_FAN outlet for the rad fans, and the remaining four case fans via Fan Xpert 2. This is far from the best outcome because the radiator fans would then have their speed changed as the CPU temp changes........rather than water temp. The single loop which cools the CPU also cools 2 EVGA 690 Hydro Copper GPU's. I can envisage that it would be possible to see the water temp rise as a result of the GPU's....say while playing a game that is more stressful on the GPU's than the CPU. The rad fans would not increase speed in such a scenario.
I do have a nice area in the bottom of the case.........you can see it in the above case photo...behind the 120 x 4 rad. Further, there is a plate just behind that can be removed for rear access, and for fitting any splitter, such as the photo of the one you included. My difficulty here (Melb Australia) is obtaining the board to build the final splitter. Which software do you use to plan these tiny boards..and where do you get them made?

I was very much taken with Zryder's board and ideas (thread #1493 and #1499),
and although I don't particularly go for the bling of case lighting...a great deal of the rest of his ideas reflected in those schematics, would be very suitable.
I had quite a few questions in relation to his controller, such as whether it was able to control the pumps and fans sepately and from separate temp source inputs. We haven't heard of any final result.

@Jasonarronfax:
1. 3 waterpumps; each is a Swiftech MCP35X. Two are in a MCP35X2 and the 3rd is in the CPU block..an Apogee drive II. Total max power= 54 watts. 4 wire PWM with 12v and earth going to PSU, tacho and PWM to motherboard and controller. Speed change dependent on temp of CPU. Preferred duty cycle between 20% and 30%.
2. 10 rad fans all PWM ..make Noctua ..model NF-F12 total combined power = 6 watts. 4 pin PWM with 12v and earth straight to PSU, tacho and PWM to motherboard and controller. Speed change dependent on water temp. Duty cycle from 50% to 100%.
3. Remaining fans..all case..4 in total.. 2 x 180... 1 x 80...1 x 120 pwm. Speed change dependent on motherboard temp. Duty cycle 50% to 100%

Are you running a server? lol, insane setup. What are you pushing, 5ghz??

The biggest issue in setting this up is the one thing you left out. What kind of signal are you getting to signify "temp" for cpu, motherboard, and water?

If it is a 0v-5v output, soooo easy to work with. If it's a digital signal signifying the temp based on duty cycle, that's a little more tricky.

Long story short it would be painfully easy to make three separate controllers that work in unison, or one more advanced controller that handled it all. Personally I think it would be easier to make three small, independent, controllers for the project that communicate together as needed. From what you're showing, there's not direct need to communicate with one another, as the three areas of your system depend on three different temperature sensors.

If the temperature is an analog signal I can modify the program I've written, or instruct you how to, and you can have it set duty cycle based on a continual check of the adc channel. (Adc - analog to digital converter.) It will take a signal in between 0 and reference voltage, say 5 volts, and convert it into a digital number that can be used to determine your duty cycle. Very very easy. If the input signal from the temperature sensors is digital, it will be more complicated and I will have to look into it a bit. It would involve using a microcontroller with 2 pwm channels. One for capture and compare, to determine the temperature, and another to output your pwm duty cycle to the elements in use by said controller.

Long story short, what kind of temperature sensors are you using, and what signal do they give?

@Jasonaaronfox:
lol @ the server Q. I can run 4.8 with furmark 1.10.2 and Prime 95 running for about an hour with temps rising to 55C or so for the CPU and 60-70C for the GPU's.(ambient was 21C) I have run 5.1 ghz, without stressing, but have gamed at that. Until I settle all this cooling frustrations, I will run at 4.6 with the two 690's set for 100fps. The photo above shows the system when it was first fired up. The other photo shows the rads. The framework holding the Alphacool NexXxos UT60 full copper 480 and 360 I designed from http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...at_-_15mm_Spacing.html?id=V5ETZgJd&mv_pc=1157 and http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ng.html?tl=g30c95s1731&id=V5ETZgJd&mv_pc=1710

The MVE motherboard has 3 temp inputs and I am using two of these:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...er_-_2-Pin_-_71155.html?id=V5ETZgJd&mv_pc=672
and one of these:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...able_-_2-Pin_-_28.html?id=V5ETZgJd&mv_pc=1962
My guess is that they are straight analog type sensors. I am using these simply as a method to check temps....not to control any fan or pump speeds.

So at this instant:- the pumps are being run and speed controlled via the PWM_FAN outlet...with power directly coming from the Corsair 1200i PSU;
......................... the rad fans are running full speed at 1500 as they are connected directly to the PSU as there is no other feasible PWM MB output;
........................ the 4 remaining case fans are being controlled by Fan Xpert 2, a voltage control....even though they are PWM fans.
I suspect that the pumps are being controlled via CPU temp.....but have no idea what temp sensor Asus uses for their Fan XPert 2.

I have put together one of Bings controllers.....the one using two 555's and a 311, and it worked great. I have written previously including some photos re that.

The first two sensors are fantastic to work with. They are variable resistors, I.E. the same as a 10k potentiometer used in an analog controller. For that matter, you could incorporate their signal into an analog controller.

As for going digital, it would be as simple as using an ADC channel to receive reference voltage through the 10k resistor of the temperature sensor. Then simply adjust duty cycle based upon the data received. With a little work you could program it up easy.

there's still some saving between various duty cycles :D

and finally a friend has made a power consumption video of an Delta TFC1212DE 3.9A.

~56watt during start up
~10watt during idle
~42watt on max speed

The Delta seems to print out their max. power on their label :D

beautiful :thup:
did you etch your own PCB on that?

I got my first rev. full of bridges :bang head
just received my second rev. yesterday, and had its pads masked by tin manually (thanks to your solder wick tips :D)

:thup:

- inVain
- bing
- andrepraz

Last edited:
Hey guys, fairly new to the overclockers.com and currently building a 3930k/x79 build...
So I ended up purchasing 2 x TFC1212DE fans and with my "learn as I go" method...my build has unfortunately taken a lot longer than expected. Browsing through the forums, it seems as if there are a lot of specifics involved in running these PWM fans from different brands and models. Could anyone help direct me in the right direction for my specific situation...I also have 2 x AFC1212DE (1.6 amp version)...I may go that route if the TFCs are too intense.

To be honest, if someone would be willing to take the task of building me one, just let me know the compensation required plus shipping etc...I would like to try building one but everything seems so foreign to me. I don't mind trying anything though, as there have been many firsts for me with this build...such as water cooling...kit of course.

Anyways, much thanks in advance.

Hey guys, fairly new to the overclockers.com and currently building a 3930k/x79 build...
So I ended up purchasing 2 x TFC1212DE fans and with my "learn as I go" method...my build has unfortunately taken a lot longer than expected. Browsing through the forums, it seems as if there are a lot of specifics involved in running these PWM fans from different brands and models. Could anyone help direct me in the right direction for my specific situation...I also have 2 x AFC1212DE (1.6 amp version)...I may go that route if the TFCs are too intense.

To be honest, if someone would be willing to take the task of building me one, just let me know the compensation required plus shipping etc...I would like to try building one but everything seems so foreign to me. I don't mind trying anything though, as there have been many firsts for me with this build...such as water cooling...kit of course.

Anyways, much thanks in advance.

ups, I think you've bought the PFC, since your thread mentioned it :D

you can use breadboard to prototype your controller build for the first time.
many of us had working results after breadboarding the design ;)

I had a bunch of controller that I'd be happy to share with you,
but I live in Indonesia and I know nothing about foreign exchange :bang head

Ok, so if I am going to make an attempt at building one. I'll obviously need a soldering iron. Seems like Bing's 555 kit is fairly popular around here, but it uses a 5v supply. Is that sufficient to run any fan?...as in the 250+ cfm deltas. Better safe than sorry? lol.

So from my understanding I need to purchase:

-555 timer
-Capacitors: c1 - 0.01 uF, c2 - 680 pF, c3 - 10 uF, c4 - 0.1 uF
-Resistors: r1 - 1k
-potentionmeters - p1 - 100k
-diodes - d1 and d2 IN4148
-circuit board
-bread board
-solder + flux
-soldering iron

Probably will need some connectors such as 4 pin pwm and 4 pin molex power.

Also...im guessing it is pointless to do "push - pull"
2 deltas on a 240 radiator so far (both in push of course)

Ok, so if I am going to make an attempt at building one. I'll obviously need a soldering iron. Seems like Bing's 555 kit is fairly popular around here, but it uses a 5v supply. Is that sufficient to run any fan?...as in the 250+ cfm deltas. Better safe than sorry? lol.

So from my understanding I need to purchase:

-555 timer
-Capacitors: c1 - 0.01 uF, c2 - 680 pF, c3 - 10 uF, c4 - 0.1 uF
-Resistors: r1 - 1k
-potentionmeters - p1 - 100k
-diodes - d1 and d2 IN4148
-circuit board
-bread board
-solder + flux
-soldering iron

Probably will need some connectors such as 4 pin pwm and 4 pin molex power.

add a breadboard to your shop list and it's done ;)
you can buy the soldering kit later, and buy more parts than you need (at least buy for two sets, just for worst case scenario)

the fan itself will be feed directly from the 12v PSU molex line ;)

Also...im guessing it is pointless to do "push - pull"
2 deltas on a 240 radiator so far (both in push of course)

yep, 2 deltas on a 240 radiator is all you need :salute:

The trick is, you power the fan off a Molex 12v, the PWM signal is 5v (and 12v on the PWM line will kill most fans).

I do actually make and sell 'em occasionally, but that would need to be done via the classifieds.
It's really not hard to make.
A $15 radioshack soldering iron will do you fine for soldering it up, before that though I highly recommend getting a solderless breadboard for testing.

Bobnova,
can you recommend me an programmer for an Attiny chip, preferably with usb interface..

I'd like to taste some digital experiments, google gave me to much schematics that I don't even know which one to choose :chair:

Back