• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@kchiefin29
gonna mind you, that the timer on your link is the 556, it's the dual version of the 555 (mean dual 555 in a single package), but yes it's the needed part to build the 2-98% version

c2 -> you choose the wrong value for it.
the required is 680"p"F (means pico farrad),
the one you choose is in "u"F (micro farrad), it can varry the required working frequency too low for the controller to working properly
you can use this -> http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...Name=Type&filterValue=Ceramic+disc+capacitors

c3 -> we need the 10"n"F (means nano Farrad),
something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...Name=Type&filterValue=Ceramic+disc+capacitors

c4 -> we usually use a non polarized capacitor for this kind of task.
this should be enough: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...$3.99&retainProdsInSession=1&filterName=Price

1uF = 1.000nF = 1.000.000pF

and this would be working as C1 (different value, but it's still okay, it even better) -> http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...Name=Type&filterValue=Electrolytic+capacitors

resistor
you selection is okay, but I'd rather a smaller one, something like 1/4watt should be fine -> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062343

potentiometers, I'd go with it ;)

diodes -> you can't go wrong with the part you've choose :thup:

@Bobnova
thank's a bunch :thup:
they even share the schematic and f/w on the link :droll:

and to make things better, I already had that ATtiny 2313 :D

Last edited:
Here's a Digikey.com list:

The basic single 555 controller requires these digikey parts, listed with part numbers for easy searching.

1 296-1411-5-ND IC OSC MONO TIMING 500KHZ 8-DIP 1 $0.45
1 CF18JT1K00CT-ND RES 1K OHM 1/8W 5% CF AXIAL 1 $0.09
1 987-1312-ND POT ROTARY 100K OHM 16MM SOLDER 1 $0.84
1 399-6100-ND CAP ALUM 10UF 63V 20% RADIAL 1 $0.16
1 399-4453-1-ND CAP CER 10000PF 100V 20% AXIAL 1 $0.27
1 1293PH-ND CAP CER 680PF 1KV 10% RADIAL 1 $0.22
1 478-5741-ND CAP CER 0.1UF 50V 20% RADIAL 1 $0.24
2 1N4148TACT-ND DIODE SS FAST 100V 200MA DO35 2 $0.20

If you want to do the dual 555 flavor, either buy a second 555, or buy one 556 (which is two 555s in one IC):
1 296-6504-5-ND IC OSC TIMER DUAL 14-DIP 1 $0.52
Note that it costs a whopping $0.07 more than the 555, might as well go 556 IMO.

kchiefin29, again, don't know how many times I mentioned these before in this thread, buy more sets for these components since they're dirt cheap, trust me, you won't regret it. :D

when i built mine with a 555 timer, i just followed the instrctions on the back of the bag and entered the settings into a virtual circuit thingy online until i got the magic frequencies from low to high and bam! i had a controller :D idk what range i had but it was close enough :)

Capacitors

Hi Guys,

Thought id setup my account to email me about posts in this thread but didn’t seem to get one, will have to look into that.

Didn’t think this thread was quite so alive but thanks for your responses about my capacitor Q. I'm using mostly 50v ceramic disk type caps as these seems the most "cost effective" - (that’s right I’m a tight arse).
But it seems this may be what’s letting my circuit down, thanks for the parts list and recommendation, ill have a look for some of these.

Cheers

My project is on delay due to new car purchase, wooh! turbocharged, water/methanol cooled, 3.8 gm v6 in a 1987 pontiac fiero gt. Nothing like pushing between 320-400hp in a 2500 lb car. Can't wait for the dyno shop to finish and get my final numbers.

After that I might finish the project.

got my controller fixed, well partially fixed :D

it seems that the the resistor on the pots network doesn't like the 1/8 watt rating.
slapped a pair of 1206 SMT resistors as a replacement for the previous 0805 and got the controller run stable for more than two weeks.

View attachment 119471

it's still on the 0805 pads on the PCB, but will be fixed on the next revision.
and this is how she looks ATM

View attachment 119472

still struggling to get the kick-start working though :bang head

Finally overclocked. Hooked the Sanyo Denki to a Crucial H60 sealed water cooling system and pumped my 3.4ghz Athlon II X3 455 Rana to 4.0ghz, stable. Temp under load 62C.

Speedfan to read all temps, prime95 torture test to push it as high as it will go, and speed shows up in bios and on numerous freeware progs.

whoa....
so you got that 62 @full load with that 1.6v thing :shock:
did the monster denki running full blast at the time?
awesome temps :thup:

your clearance for the denki seems quite thingt, any unexpected noise?

To be honest I'm only running the Denki at 10-15%. The self contained corsair h60 water cooling works amazing with that fan mounted to it. Also, the custom case i made vents heat very well. The temps go from ~60C to 38C within 1 second after I stop the CPU stress test (prime95)

Also, my processor was originally a phenom ii x4, but the factory disabled one core for being defective and sold it as an Athlon ii x3, so there is a whole core worth of chip not being used. That has to lower the temp, the chip is designed to run four cores. Sadly that fourth core is unstable and I had to relock it.

I couldn't recommend the Sanyo Denki enough, it's amazing. I think it helps that I have the fan blowing up through the radiator and sucking fresh cold air directly across the motherboard to feed it.

Since the fan is blowing through the radiator there is a little more noise, but it is muffled an not high pitched. I prefer it to air only cooling.

Whoaah :attn: I just realized that this thread has been active for almost > 2.5 years (started in April 2010) with today at > 120K views and > 1500 posts , time really flies ... :eek:

Amazing, its almost like a cult in this cooling section. :chair:

Keep 'em coming guys :clap:

Whoaah :attn: I just realized that this thread has been active for almost > 2.5 years (started in April 2010) with today at > 120K views and > 1500 posts , time really flies ... :eek:

Amazing, its almost like a cult in this cooling section. :chair:

Keep 'em coming guys :clap:

All hail bing and the PWM controller!! :D

So I've been digging through this thread, but I'm having a hard time matching the parts lists which are occasionally provided up to the schematics which are also occasionally provided.

I've got someone in the service emailing me who would like to have some of these details from this thread, but the size of the thread, and the quality of his internet connection sucks. I would like to help...

But at the same time, my internet connection is good, but I'm still having a hard time picking out from the thread a couple examples which he might be able to choose from. I think a couple schematics options, and a couple parts lists to go with it would be really nice to give him if anyone could help. I basically need one post that presents these, then I can email them to him as an attachment and link, which hopefully he'll be able to open at least one of them.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and sorry half this I don't understand so I'm not sure what to put together for him.

Last edited:
Back