• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is pretty much the essence, the staple of this.

All the circuits around here are based on that design, with some modifications (different caps for different frequencies, inverted signal from some Deltas, kickstart...).

Best match, really, is the one in the frontpage article. It and its schematic match, for starters :D

If you're after the 0-100% version, I can do some digging and put together a parts list combined with a schematic in one post.

EDIT:
Didn't see the post right above mine on the new page. That's definitely the best post as far as schematics goes, and a parts list can be built off it.

Is this still considered the "best" design to develop a simple PWM signal booster?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6791950&highlight=booster#post6791950

Edit: I took a closer look at the circuit. Assuming I already had a PWM signal (say from my mobo), could I bring that into a single 556 ? (I have very little experience with electrical diagrams, but I believe the first 556 on the post above is the design for generating the signal in the first place with the pot and then boosting it.)

Last edited:
Whoaah :attn: I just realized that this thread has been active for almost > 2.5 years (started in April 2010) with today at > 120K views and > 1500 posts , time really flies ... :eek:

Amazing, its almost like a cult in this cooling section. :chair:

Keep 'em coming guys :clap:

Yes indeed, just popped in for the 1st time in ages, & I was amazed to see that it's still active! :shock:

Yea, lovin' this thread! It's content made me happy with my pc. Built several pwm-controllers in 2011 and they still working yet. Love it! I'm using a twin circuit controller to controll two delta's seperately. You can see the two knobs at the front of the silverstone-case:

img_93428lx26.jpg

PWM Signal Booster

Is this still considered the "best" design to develop a simple PWM signal booster?

That is not the suitable if you just want to boost the PWM signal from the mobo header to your pwm fans or pumps "without" using a pwm controller.

Use this alternative below, you only need single 555 chip to perform that, while if you have spare 556 chip, it can even give you two outputs.

About how many per pwm devices (fans or pumps) per output, its better to go through trial and error, but I believe for non hardcore, it should be more than enough. :D

Just becareful when wiring this thing up, it uses +5 volt from the red cable from the molex, NOT the yellow one which is 12 volt. The Ground from the obvious black cable.

Always do check, re-check and re-check again all made wire connections before powering things up.

Excellent! Thanks. I have a spare PC with PWM output on it's mobo that is older that I can test with instead of my main rig. I'll let you know how it works out when I have a chance to work on it.

If you're in the USA, Digikey.com is a good bet, that's where I get all my stuff.

I like how you've wired the booster Bing, that's creative :D

I am new here but am looking into building one of these PWM controllers with the approach of summer, need to get the temps down in my Mini P180.

Was browsing around and came upon this little chip, was wondering if anyone has any experience.

EDIT: The chip is a Microchip Technologies TC642CPA: IC PWM FAN SPEED CONTROLLER 8DIP

http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...d=PLA_442591&gclid=CNyn9oqgybUCFYqk4Aodnw0AiA

I am a mechanical engineer so I only know the basics of electronics, but it looks like it could simplify the circuit fairly significantly looking at the data sheets for what it needs. But then I could be overlooking some fairly significant factors, so that's why I came here.

For anyone interested, my build currently consists of
MSI 890GXM-G65 (I know, but no other mATX AMD boards for CFX)
AMD FX-8350
16GB Corsair "Vengeance" DDR3-1866
2x AMD Radeon HD 7870 in CFX
2x Samsung 830 256GB RAID 0 system drives
2x WD Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 storage drives
Antec Kuhler 920 w/ 2x Cooler Master Xtraflo
SeaSonic X Series Gold 850W PSU
Antec Mini P180 Case
2x Antec TriCool intake fans
Kingston HyperX Ram Fan
3x Sunon 40mm fans on the NB and MOSFET sinks

Currently looking to upgrade my intake fans to something PWM and have those manually controlled, as the Kuhler 920 can take care of the CPU fans just fine, and I do not really have a problem with my CPU temps. I am more concerned with getting more cool air in for my MB as it is notorious for having the power transistors fail (I have personally blown out 3 of them).

Last edited:
Started my PWM Controller, check it out, the PCB is ready. Has 3 channels. First is 25Khz for my normal deltas, second is 16Khz for siwtching between my delta and Sayno 9SG1212P1G01, and the last is 5khz for using the Nidec G1238.

View attachment 123992

Actually have 2 PCB's

Looks pretty clean!
I'm using my mobo header with the splitter cable to control my Nidec Beta-v's and it works nicely, but those use the standard pwm freq and curve. (luckily for me)

That's an interesting chip Jenson, looks like it's built for controlling non-PWM fans via PWMing the ground pin, not ideal but functional.

Nice PCBs Arkade! Very clean.

Replacement Sayno 9SG1212P1G01 arrived. Controller construction starts Monday. Still moving stuff around here.

That's an interesting chip Jenson, looks like it's built for controlling non-PWM fans via PWMing the ground pin, not ideal but functional.

Nice PCBs Arkade! Very clean.

Interesting, glad someone else was able to figure out what it actually did.

Time to read through this thread to find the best way to get PCBs made.

Interesting, glad someone else was able to figure out what it actually did.

Time to read through this thread to find the best way to get PCBs made.

Almost killed my Arms when I tried making Demetori the PCB's, Acid is BAD apperantly. Just be careful when you do it.

Hey Bob, Thats where I used to get my boards. Place was great. I forgot all about them. Thanks for the pointer, I finally can go back to not burning my arms off :D

Back