• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bulldozer 990FX / 9xx Motherboard Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intel is much worse than AMD for socket changes. They change sockets with every generation. Heck, at one time they had sockets 775, 1156 and 1366 all on the market and current at the same time - and all of them require different heatsink mounting!

To be fair, AMD has two right now (FM1 & AM3+), but only one for enthusiasts. The difference between FM1 & AM3+ is vast. If nothing else, at the very least AMD lets you transfer heatsinks from socket to socket without making you buy a new one of those (or new mounting kit) every time. They've had the same heatsink mounting hole spacing since before my first Athlon X2 5000+ BE. :)

Intel is much worse than AMD for socket changes. They change sockets with every generation. Heck, at one time they had sockets 775, 1156 and 1366 all on the market and current at the same time - and all of them require different heatsink mounting!

Oh, I know. I was trying to be funny. AMD is by far the kindest when it comes to sparing you expensive upgrades. I'm a long-time user.

I'm going to grab that Sabretooth for sure now. I need stability for my Hex-core right now, and I can at least get the 1st gen Bulldozer working on it when the time comes next year.

Hah...d'oh. Sorry, my humor / sarcasm sensor always has its sensitivity turned way down on Monday mornings.

i cant wait to the Bulldozer is out i have all the thing i need or close to it ^_^

My Super PC

Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI
Mainboard : Asus Crosshair V Formula
Chipset : 990FX/SB950
Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 265 @ 3300MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5970
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD753LJ (750GB)
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD103UJ (1000GB)
Hard Disk : Seagate ST310005 (1000GB)
CD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVDWBD SH-B083L
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 24 inches
Network Card : Intel 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P14 FLX - 140mm 1x Noctua NF-P12-1300 - 120mm 3x Noctua NF-S12B FLX - 120mm 1x TurboFan, rød 1000rpm 140mm
Fan Panel: Aerocool FP-01

Pulled the trigger on the Sabor and a 555 Black Callisto to play with until the Dozers are out for a while. As for the Gigabytes, they are great boards but the last one I had was a dud so I went back to ASUS. The Sabortooth just looks like a killer board and heat control is one of the primary features on it which is my main interest. Not sure if I'll put 2 vids in it but I do want to OC the balls out of it. If we can get anywhere near 5G on these boards then I'll be :D

Pulled the trigger on the Sabor and a 555 Black Callisto to play with until the Dozers are out for a while. As for the Gigabytes, they are great boards but the last one I had was a dud so I went back to ASUS. The Sabortooth just looks like a killer board and heat control is one of the primary features on it which is my main interest. Not sure if I'll put 2 vids in it but I do want to OC the balls out of it. If we can get anywhere near 5G on these boards then I'll be :D

I've had my Sabertooth for about a month. I think you'll love the board, it is awesome. Plus, if you're an Nvidia guy it's one of the only AMD boards you can run SLI on, like I am doing :D

I've had my Sabertooth for about a month. I think you'll love the board, it is awesome. Plus, if you're an Nvidia guy it's one of the only AMD boards you can run SLI on, like I am doing :D

Does any gigabyte 990fx run SLI too?

All of them run SLI AFAIK. 990FX chipset = native SLI.

I'd steer clear of the UD7 until Rev. 1.1 makes it to the states though. Rev. 1.0 has Vdroop issues that can only be addressed with a hard-mod.

I'd steer clear of the UD7 until Rev. 1.1 makes it to the states though. Rev. 1.0 has Vdroop issues that can only be addressed with a hard-mod.

Did you try beta bios with LLC for UD7 ? I know it's not public but maybe you got it. There is also missing option to disable APM / avoid throttling under load. I'm not sure if it's in that beta bios but it's possible to disable it in AOD simply by enabling and next disabling TurboCore ( I already mentioned about it in UD5 thread ).

If ANYONE can get their hands on that beta BIOS, PM me, I know at least one person on here has it, and have seen screenshots of the LLC options!

Deleting my previous post b/c I'm adding pics and wanted the thread to register my new post. Here was the original post:
Sorry to disappoint mxthunder, but the screenshots you're seeing are most likely from Rev. 1.1 of the board. They physically changed the hardware to add LLC control. If you want to improve a Rev. 1.0 board, you have to do the volt mod I'm sorry to say.

...and here is why I think that.

Rev. 1.0

990fxa-ud7-rev-1.1-01.jpg

Rev. 1.1

990fxa-ud7-rev-1.1-05.jpg

On the plus side, the mod is just a single 100ohm resistor. I plan on making a video of it and adding that to the review before it publishes when time allows.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. All I know is that when I asked for a beta bios for the board I had (rev 1.0), instead of a bios, they sent a pack of resistors with instructions to hard mod followed closely thereafter by a rev 1.1 board. I did not ask specifically if there was any hope for rev 1.0 yet.

With certainty, no. You can definitely see components added to the power control circuitry though.

hey hey i never said anything that would disprove that, i just don't want to comment directly on the matter, as the board isn't even available for purchase.

The mod to change the tiny 0K resistor to 100K works and I actually did it with one of my boards, the issue was when I did it with a Phenom II it greatly reserved the Vdroop, i just can't test BD with that board b/c i didn't have a chance to update its BIOS. Hokiealumnus can you try it? i have one board with updated BIOS and BD and the other doesn't have the proper BIOS and I don't have that phenom CPU to test out the board I did the MOD too.

if you look at both those pics there are some more components there that are not on the rev 1.0, but that 100K would reverse the Vdroop, according to the intersil Spec for the PWM:

0K=Vcore Droop ON, CPUNB droop OFF
25K=Vcore droop ON, CPUNB Droop ON
50K=Vcore Droop OOF, CPUNB droop ON
100K=Vcore droop OFF, CPUNB Droop OFF

Or something along those lines. CPUNB on the UD7 has no droop at stock.

its that black resistor by the arrow and number 1 pointing at the PWM.

Heh, I had an unfortunate incident when trying the mod and am sad to say my Rev. 1.0 board is (likely) no more. Those resistors and contacts are tiny. I'm no n00b with a soldering iron (it's hard to be when you are an amateur radio operator), but this definitely made me feel like one.

yes indeed, i actually had to solder to the end of a trace i had to dig up and redirect to a pin on the PWM, i thought that those empty pads where not connected when infact one set of them are, so i tried my best to unsolder the short between the two, i ended up getting rid of their connection and having to dig up a trace and then solder a wire to a trace lol and then solder that wire to a pin on the PWM through its closest contact. it works, but its not the prettiest thing.

Back