• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bulldozer 990FX / 9xx Motherboard Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What has me confused is that some of these 9xx boards don't even mention HT 3.1. I'm wondering if thats reserved for the server market...?

Hmmm... you're right a lot of them don't mention it. Maybe its just not a very big selling point? As far as I know it's just an increase of speed from 5.2 mt/s to 6.4 mt/s, I think all it really allows for is higher bandwidth for more RAM and more expansion cards :shrug:

I got FXA-UD5 as I said some posts ago. I'm not sure if it's good result but I was able to set stable 300MHz FSB/HT ( whatever you call it ;) ) and max about 315 for some tests. Phenom II x2 560 unlocked without problems but isn't stable on 3 or 4 cores. Can call it benchable ;) Now running @3.9GHz with box cooler - something like this Next I will try to drop memory timings. I think I will be able set my 4 sticks @1600 6-7-6-20 1T. I already checked that 2000+ can be hard to reach and max memory clock for now is something near 1900.

Has anyone had experiences with the major Vdroop issues of the UD5 and UD7 yet?
Was just about to buy one today, but luckily I read of all the issues people are having.

Bumpity bump. Crosshair V Formula replacement is back with all its ICs in place and running splendidly. I think it has settled on a solid 24/7 overclock for testing purposes.

4093_24-7_linxstable-cwm.jpg

Still being put through its paces but so far I'm definitely a fan.

Well damn hokie! I like your vcore at 4.1Ghz... I wish my 1090T would go that low. Is it under water? And is the chip just good or is the mobo helping alot?

Should have mentioned that, whoops. LLC is set to "Extreme", so my loaded Vcore is more like 1.452. It's not a magic chip; in fact it's rather average and doesn't do well at all under cold. It's clocking pretty much the same as it did on a CIVF, and it's entirely the chip; not much to do with the board.

It is definitely water cooled. No way could my air cooling (VenomousX) keep this chip < 40C at 1.45Vcore. :p

The Xfi audio is not Xfi. It is a realtek chip with Xfi software. Also while the Intel NIC is superior to, say, your average Realtek nic, it still isn't as good as something like a Bigfoot Killer NIC card. Ultimately the sound should be the same. I'm fairly certain that the ST and CHV have a similar VRM layout. The CHV does include a full version of Kaspersky and ISO mounting software, which is nice. Don't know anyone who'd need a five year warranty. Most replatform after 3.

I can't remember the website (I'll look for it) but I saw some benchmarks of the realtek and the intel NIC being compared. While the intel naturally used about 3% less cpu, the throughput was actually higher with the realtek NIC by 10mB/s. It was like 985mB/s for realtek and 975 for intel. Not really much of a difference but it sort of debunks the argument that the intel NIC is vastly superior. In terms of CPU usage, well it definitely is more efficient no question. My question to everyone is if you even think that matters anymore with quad cores becoming the norm. I just don't see how anyone would care about the realtek's CPU overhead with multi-core solutions. Also I think for a realtek chipset some of those gigabyte boards have an impressive onboard sound solution now. With a SnR of 108db, thats superior to some old audigy/audigy 2 solutions for example. The quality of the onboard stuff seems to be going up slowly over time.

I can't remember the website (I'll look for it) but I saw some benchmarks of the realtek and the intel NIC being compared. While the intel naturally used about 3% less cpu, the throughput was actually higher with the realtek NIC by 10mB/s. It was like 985mB/s for realtek and 975 for intel. Not really much of a difference but it sort of debunks the argument that the intel NIC is vastly superior. In terms of CPU usage, well it definitely is more efficient no question. My question to everyone is if you even think that matters anymore with quad cores becoming the norm. I just don't see how anyone would care about the realtek's CPU overhead with multi-core solutions. Also I think for a realtek chipset some of those gigabyte boards have an impressive onboard sound solution now. With a SnR of 108db, thats superior to some old audigy/audigy 2 solutions for example. The quality of the onboard stuff seems to be going up slowly over time.

Yeah I am glad to see these changes in onboard mobo devices. The new gigabyte G1 -series boards have a built in creative sound blaster x-fi system and a bigfoot killer e2100. I wish more boards would have such good onboard stuff.

I want ot upgrade to Asus M5A99X-EVO 990X AM3+ motherboard using my existing Athlon 2 X4 635 CPU not sure what speed of ddr3 ram i can use with this cpu on this motherboard or if still limited to ddr 3 1333mhz? anybody got any ideas?

I want ot upgrade to Asus M5A99X-EVO 990X AM3+ motherboard using my existing Athlon 2 X4 635 CPU not sure what speed of ddr3 ram i can use with this cpu on this motherboard or if still limited to ddr 3 1333mhz? anybody got any ideas?

Its limited to what your IMC can handle, what frequency your RAM can run at, and what RAM dividers your mobo has. AMD's spec for max supported mem speed of 1333 isn't anything you should worry about. If you buy DDR3-1600 RAM and your board has that RAM divider it is usually just plug and play.

I am starting to plan a BD build. Is the CHV gonna be the board for benchers and extreme cooling? Anyone benching one of these yet?

Last edited:
I am on ambient. It's giving me fits with high Vcore (> 1.6V) but that's most likely b/c I haven't had time to tinker with Digi+VRM enough to figure out the right settings. Aside from that, it's a very solid board with more overclocking/tweaking options than you could ever want.

I am happy with my UD7 now. Idle voltage is a little high but it drops under load. This board is rock solid, SLI works "good", OC's like a beast, a much more stable platform than my old GD70.

I just got a new board in for a review and I noticed something right away. The CPU bus does not jump around as much as the 890GX or 890FX boards. I am wondering if this is the same for all 990FX boards or if its just the board I have.

Added note, the CPU bus (HTT) does not jump around at all. I loaded my 1090T (at stock) to full using benches, and did not see the bus change at all in CPUZ. It was hard locked at 200 MHZ.

Bulldozer

The new chipsets for these are not due out til September, from what the salespeople at Fry's told me...
Hope they get these Bulldozer chipsets in soon (USA)...I'm waiting till these chipsets prove good, before getting the crosshair V Mobo...and only one pci e slot really???

Yeah Dolk your right got mixed up a little but still if the cpu's not out, to match this mobo
why get it yet??? The cpu needs to prove itself and according to zdnet this cpu is going to be $320 USD, will be the most expensive thing on my rig when built...

Looking at AMD/Asus crosshair v, possible bulldozer cpu, seasonic SS 560 Atx12v PSU, WD black Caviar HD, maybe Auzen xfi sound card, maybe Radeon xfx 5570 GC, and a red NZXT Phantom case

Hey Dolk .... ran prime and CPU-Z and kept and eye on the HT Link ...... pretty much steady at 2257.6MHZ (+-) 1 on my Asus Crosshair V.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this one Dolk. After staring at CPUz for five minutes, I saw literally 0.0MHz bus speed deviation. HT freq deviated max 0.3MHz and CPU-NB freq deviated max 0.2MHz. I'd call that a vast improvement over the 890FX fluctuations of the past.

Did I mention I love water cooling? :)

priming-bus-test.jpg

Back