• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying new mobo, RAM for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demidrol

Registered
Hi currently I have this PC http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...docname=c00068941&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

AMD Athlon64 3200+ ClawHammer

I decided to buy new video card cause I was fed up with lag in games.
So I thought since Im at it I could buy new mobo and overclock my Athlon64 3200+ so it could last even longer?

I want to buy these:

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820144114

Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814102688

Do you think it's going to work / good set up? Or should I do something else? Like buy higher RAM speed?

Suggestions are highly appreciated, first time oc noob here :bang head

:welcome: to the forums. :)

That's not a bad looking setup there.

Do you know what kind of options the BIOS gives?
(mfg's web site & dl the users manual)

The ram doesn't look too bad. I don't know how Kingston OC's personally.

Check out that mobo 1st, make sure you have the available options
to set things up in the BIOS.

:attn:

Thanks for the welcome :cool:

I checked manual, and found jumpers settings where you can either lock memory or manually adjust voltage to it. Didnt see any BIOS settings except BIOS errors. But like I said im a newb :shrug:

this is mfg website of this model http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=tforce+6100

this is the manual ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/TFORCE 6100/TForce6100manual.pdf

It says:

• Hardware Monitor:
CPU / System Fan Speed
CPU Voltage
AGP Voltage
CPU Temperature
System Temperature
Vcore,+3.3V,+5V,+12V

and it has overclocking guide
"1 x Overclock Guide"

I don't have the mobo yet, thats why I asked if the mobo and RAM i picked would overclock good.

this is what im getting right now

cpu0zs.jpg

Well, you should post your current setup, or put it in your signature, just to avoid confusion. Also, I believe that motherboard and ram, AND video card, will be quite a nice upgrade. I haven't personally used that motherboard, but from the reviews it got, it seems to be quite good. (But don't buy a product JUST on the reviews, Newegg is kinda wishy-washy on posting all reviews equally).

Thanks for the tip, it's in my signature now.

Anyone else think my CPU is running on high voltage?

demidrol said:
Thanks for the welcome :cool:

I checked manual, and found jumpers settings where you can either lock memory or manually adjust voltage to it.
You have to be able to adjust CPU speed, HTT, Multiplier, and Memory clock and Divider as well as voltages in order to overclock. I don't see any of that in the manual...perhaps some lurking in forums will answer your questions.

I searched on the web for BIOS features, and found this review http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1805136

BIOS:
I'll just mention the "interesting" options.

Phoenix - AwardBIOS

Advanced Chipset Features:
Frame Buffer Size (for IGP) 6/32/64/128MB and Disabled
NB-->SB HT Speed 1x-5x
NB<--SB HT Speed 1x-5x
K8<->NB HT Width 8/16
NB<->SB HT Width 4/8/16
Spread Spectrum available for CPU, PCIE, SATA and HT (disabled if any are overclocked)

PC Health Status:
Shutdown Temperature 60/65/70ºC and Disabled
Smart FAN Control by Always ON/SMART
when set to SMART:
CPU Fan Off(ºC) 0-127 (16 default)
CPU Fan Start(ºC) 0-127 (24 default)
CPU Fan Full speed(ºC) 0-127 (64 default)
Start PWM Value 0-127 (40 default)
Slope PWM 0/1/2/4/8/16/32/64 PWM value/ºC (1 default)

CMOS Reload Program - lets you save different CMOS configurations for later retrieval, a great idea

OverClock Navigator Engine:
*Overclock Navigator Normal/Automate Overclock/Manual Overclock
Watch dog time(times) 1-31 (5 default) - I think this is to reset CPU speed if system doesn't POST
Integrated Memory Test DISABLED/ENABLED - run Memtest on next POST

*Overclock Navigator on Automate V6/V8/V12 - doesn't say how much it overclocks

*Overclock Navigator on MANUAL
CPU Voltage Regulator 0.800V-1.500V in 0.025V increments and up to 1.800V in 0.050V increments
Memory Voltage 2.6/2.7/2.8/2.9V - note that there is a memory overvolt >3V jumper on the motherboard - make sure your memory can take it before trying it
CPU Frequency 200-450 in 1MHz increments
HT Frequency 1x-5x and Auto
PCIe Clock 100-145 in 1MHz increments
Memclock Frequency Auto/100/133/166/200 - pretty standard, may change with E3/E6 chip installed
1T/2T Memory Timing

DRAM Configuration submenu - suffice to say that it has the regular latencies plus more options that I don't even know whta to do with, a total of 13 different configurable options. I'd recommend to not fiddle with anything beyond CAS settings unless you know what you're doing.

A couple of things to note:
-The only thing that's really missing is a way to boost chipset voltage. Sometimes that is needed to hit really high HTT speeds.
-Haven't played with it, but the CMOS Reload Program sounds really neat.
-There's no way to turn off the Biostar splash screen on POST, irritating.
-I really love the CPU fan control which along with being able to undervolt can make for a very quiet machine, plus you get to change the parameters of the temperature points and how fast the fan ramps up in speed. Awesome!!!
-Some CMOS settings cause the system to not POST, so unless you're into troubleshooting down to which exact settings causes what problems, leave advanced settings alone. For instance, changing the HT Width settings will sometimes cause no POST.

So, is this mobo worth getting for possible future overclocking?

Looks like it has alot of features. But Im not familiar with them to say if its a good board or not. I seen that you posted in the "other boards' section of the mother boards forum maybe someone who has this board or tried it can help. But just because it has certain features does not mean its can perform well. If it were me I would try a borad that is recomended in the price range for you. I'd hate to see you get a board that will not be what you wanted and have to send it back or just deal with it. Never a fun thing.

And the reported voaltage is really really high. I think its got to be wrong. Either that or its going to burn a hole in your case lol.

Back