• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can dell xpz 15z take 8 gig sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snapsalot

Registered
Hi all. I just got a dell xps 15z laptop. By default it has two 4 gig sticks. I wanted to see if the motherboards in xps Z can handle 8 gig sticks (so i could put in 16 gigs total)

the processor is a i7 2640m

Im pretty sure after some research it only supports upto 8gb Max, i could be wrong but, for further info search on google.

I've searched a lot already. everything I see says its dependent on the processor (i7 2640 is capable) However sense dell does not offer 8 gig sticks directly it makes me wonder.

Surely someone on the forums has tried with the xps z series?

well i havnt lol im not to big with lapytops :D lol but well as far as dell offering that doesnt mean anything lol dont be discouraged on that my friend. :) well. ill do some more deeper research and get back to ya. sorry for the wait.

Yeah they could just as easily not offer it because by their tard memory prices they would charge like $400 for 16 gigs of ram and everyone would know thats a scam They charge like 150-200$ for 8 gigs lol...

chat with dell support:

23:10:01 Dante V Hi Jose! How may I help you today?
23:10:33 jose canseco hi. i'm wondering what is the max memory supported for the 15z with an i7 processor
23:11:16 Dante V I am glad that you chatted in today, I will be more than happy to help you. Please give me a couple of minutes to check..
23:11:22 jose canseco k
23:13:46 Dante V Thanks for patiently waiting. We can get up to 8GB RAM on a configuration that has an i7 processor.
23:14:19 jose canseco thank you
23:14:47 jose canseco but does that mean the motherboard only supports 8gb or that dell can only put 2x4gb sticks in it?
23:15:31 Dante V Yes, the motherboard only has 2 RAM slots and the maximum for each slot is a 4GB RAM. Have you already selected a configuration?
23:16:03 jose canseco nope, just doing research. thank you for your time

They only read off a sheet Kraven. I have had the Dell people tell me countless things that where wrong and had one sales guy contradict the other many times.

Unless you get a Dell engineer on the line don't bother believing them. Trust me anyone on this forum knows more about computers then the dell sales team.

Last edited:
Yeah I was hoping to find someone who had already tried, after all the xps and xps z are pretty popular laptops.

Thank you for all the effort Kraven (how the heck did you find all this?)

I get my laptop in 2 or 3 days so I may indeed end up being the guini pig and test it myself. If I do any we have not got an answer beforehand from someone, you can bet I will post the results so everyone can know.

Point is that memory controller supports 16GB without problems but producer have to make BIOS that supports more than 4GB sticks and in this case DELL doesn't have BIOS like that or they won't guarantee that this config will work ( maybe they tested some kits and not all worked , hard to say ).
So probably it will work but noone will guarantee that.

Back