• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I disable the pagefile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd keep a minimum size page file. Many programs are not programmed to go into memory and stay there, many will want to stay in the pagefile. Weird but true. Just keep a small one and you should be ok. I'd say 100mb would be enough.

I tried running with out one for a while and I didn't notice any difference. Ecxept having to go turn it on for prime95 and other programs. But yeah you can disable it. Check out number 5 on Black Vipers super tweaks.

I tried running without one and a buncha my programs complained. Some said I was outa RAM and others said they couldn't work without a page file, I would agree and just make a small one.

Hey Guys, don't mean to hijack the post, but I've tried to turn off my page file (1G ram, and I know everything can fit in mem) - I've set it through system properties, clicked set, ok, restarted... but I still have a page file!
When I go back to the setting, it IS set to zero, and the status shows current page file - 0MB.
BUT, when I look in task manager, or through SiSoft sandra, it shows my page file is 980MB.. has anyone experienced this problem or have any idea how to go about solving this?

Thanks!

yeah same prob here iono why it happens but when you disable the pg file you still have... lol a page file. maybe someone knows why/what it really is?

You might have to manually delete c:\pagefile.sys. It is a protected + hidden file, so make the neccessary setting changes in folder options before you try to find it.

You sure its showing you your pagefile size and not virtual memory size? I might be wrong, but I think virtual memory is how much physical memory is being used + how much pagefile is being used. Compare how much physical memory you're using to the "pagefile" size you see on taskmanager and sandra, and see how close they are.

Back