• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I ziptie a fan to an HIS Radeon HD 6570?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure, zipties work great! I say go for it! :thup: Just ziptie it so it blows air towards the fins of the sink.
Cool. So if I just buy some zip-ties and a cheap fan, I can zip-tie the fan on there without removing the heat sink?'

Also which fans would you recommend for around $20?

Alright. So I just bought a TriCool 92mm fan and a couple of zip ties. Now that I've done this, how would I go about actually zip-tying the fan on the GPU?

Sure, I hade a 120mm fan zip tied to an Arctic Cooling Accelero years ago, works fine.

Yes, but once I have all the stuff... How do I zip-tie the fan to the GPU?

Zip tie it too the heatsink or the card, not the GPU. Don't take the heatsink off.

Do you have photo's of the card you can link to?

I found a diagram on ati site explaining this mystery

Zipties to the PCI slots holding the fan blowing perpendicular to the card might work a bit better, theres not many places to wrap zipties around the card

his_radeon_hd_6570_2gb_passive.jpg

I would consider zip tieing diagonally, completely around the front/back of the card and heatsink:

ziptie.jpg

Or possible, just horizontally completely around the top edge of the heatsink, hanging the fan so to speak by the top:

ziptie2.jpg

For either of these, your zipties may not be long enough, so you could hook a couple together if needed.

Through the screw holes for the fan, yes.

There are no screw holes for the fan that I can see?

If you have large zip ties such as you get in a hardware shop you could put the zip ties around the entire card

EDIT: What I had meant was through the screw holes ON the fan, however that will be of no use in your case. I'd go with the 2x large zip ties diagonally like I.M.O.G. has shown.

Last edited:
Hmm... I don't know. I may just put the fan aside. This card seems too hard to zip-tie.

I might remove the heatsink.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are overcomplicating this in your head, or the pictures aren't clear. This is how you'd hang the fan on there from the top - except your heatsink sticks up above the top of the card a bit, so you could just go all around the top section of the heatsink:

DSC03533.jpg

DSC03534.jpg

DSC03535.jpg

The fan I have on there is obviously too large for my little card, but it demonstrates the idea. It is just a mockup, but this doesn't have to be built to withstand an earthquake - just enough to keep the fan positioned in front of the heatsink.

Do not run it with out a heat sink. Just blowing air on the die is not going to dissipate heat fast enough. (or at least I'm very doubtful)

You could also look at improving the airflow in your system overall.

Removing the heatsink will kill the card, or if you are lucky, the card will throttle down to keep itself from cooking... More likely the GPU will overheat and go dead.

And here's the diagonal. I didn't tighten up the zip ties, so that I could get them back off and not waste them, but even loose and done in 60 seconds, it was enough to hold the fan in place.

The important part to remember is that it might look a little hillbilly, zip ties have a way about them, but the point is they can get the job done:

zip.jpg

zip1.jpg

zip2.jpg

zip3.jpg

^^^ No, running without the heatsink would fry the chip in no time
Well, it's running 90c even with the heatsink. I think that even if I did get on though, I'd have to buy new wires.

The fan uses like 4 pins or something like that. Are those supposed to plug into the psu or what?

If it is a small 4 pin connector, its made to plug directly into the extra fan headers on the motherboard. If you only have 3 pin headers, that is fine to just plug it into a 3 header.

Back