• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can somebody clarify

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wtx5

I have recently purchased an AsRock board and find it has an option for untied overclocking. I understand this option and it really works great, it even overclocked cpu better than my asus m4n82 deluxe sli board. My point of confusion is; is this proprietary to asrock or are other manufacturers using this feature under another name? My asus board is not that old and does'nt have this feature. The reason I am asking is that I want to step to a ddr3 board and would like to have this feature so am I forced to stay with asrock to get it?

What is untied overclocking? Do you mean ganged, and unganged for the memory? Which motherboard specifically do you have? CPU?

An option in bios that allows you to adjust cpu freq. or bus speed without effecting other settings. for example without bumping up NB. I would have to install other desktop and go into bios to tell you exactly which ones are not affected.

In order to not touch that stuff, you would need a CPU that has an unlocked multiplier so the bus stays the same.

This gives the option for manual adj. sync. and async.
Thats what I am saying somehow (and not by cpu) it allows adj. FSB without adj. or bumping. Hence the name "untied overclocking"; other settings not connected to FSB. In a few hours I will be able to say specifically what it doesnt adj.

If you google untied overclocking You will get asrock's vague statement. I can give specifics in a few hours.

Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses

It only locks the PCI/PCIe bus. Thats it. Otherwise, adjusting the HTT(FSB) will raise NB/RAM frequencies.

Same as what they call "async" in other boards' main overclocking options, I think.

OK after getting home and reviewing the manual I will have to conceed and say you were right and other boards DO offer this because I know my asus board can do the samething. I do however have to say that I must have been fooled into thinking something was special by the ease and over all good job in unlocking and OCing that this asrock board did.

ASRock until recently was a division of Asus. Both make some good stuff. I like ASRock's website better than all the other board makers. Very user friendly and fast.

Back