• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone help me organize my mp3's!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz4rd

If your like me you love mp3's, I have 14.5 gigs worth. I need to organize these hummers bad. I use foobar2000 as my player because lets face it, it's sweet. The problem is in the naming convention. Seems each song is named differently, DAMN KAZAA!. Some with the artist first some with the song, some with a number like 07. I have to hunt through my playlist to find all the songs of 1 artist. I have used the "organize by this criterea" options in media players, still I have a hard time locating files.

I recently tried using the creative players organization features that came with my audigy2 platinum, it looks at them all and names them, but now some got named and many got named with the word "Unknown" infront of it. I'm mad now.

Can someone suggest a software that will automatically rename these files so they all match. I could careless what they are named as long as all my "staind" is in one area and "POD" in another, ect.

I hope someone has an idea what to do, this really sucks searching for 20 minutes for 1 song. :(

well i dont know of any software that does that, but M$ media player sorts em out for you (media library)
and by the way to prevent this problem in the future, save all songs of a certain artist/album in a folder.... that way you just find the folder and listen to it
btw i have 14.7 gigs
beat you! :D

i always rename mine to the same format:

artist- song title

ex: Thursday- Cross out the Eyes

if you do it as soon as you get the file on your computer, you won't have to go back and rename 14 gigs worth at once. all other information can be held in the id3 tag of the specific file.

i have mine grouped in folders of techno, punk, hip hop, alternative, and other (for stuff like jazz and classic rock that i don't have too many of). organizing like this saves a ton of time trying to find specific files too, and when you make a playlist of the whole directory, you can sort your playlist in order of directory, so songs will be in order of which folder they are in.

Last edited:
Actually I have 14.8 gigs, I did a rough estimate. This sucks I gotta find a way to rename all these suckers.

Sorry I wish I knew of a program that would do that. Wiz4rd can I use your avatar? I hate the RIAA.

Music Match Jukebox has a feature which allows you to search the CDDB database and it automatically renames the songs and adds the tag info for you, works pretty darn good to!

Ok I will try musicmatch. And yes you may use my avatar, we need more RIAA haters.

21.6 here, I renamed and organized all of them by hand (ID3 tags, too); I just take some hours late at night and murder them mercilessly with massive organizing

whats the point of having so many songs
?

i mean hell do you really neeed to listen to all 20,000 songs lol

my solution: delete the crappy ones, and rename the good ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back