• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot OC FX 8350 / M5A99FX Pro R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atlus

Hello Everybody!!!

I have little to nothing experience with OC. Only tried to OC my old system (Phenom 955) up to 3.8 to daily usage. (never up from 60c)

Just upgrade my PC to a AMD combo:

CPU: FX 8350 @ 4.0 Ghz + Coolermastar V8
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
RAM: Corsair Dominator XMS3 2x4 GB @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v
PSU: Thermaltake 700Watts
CASE: Thermaltake V9
Fans:

- Front (intake) :
120 x 120 x 25 mm 1300rpm, 17dBA
- Rear (exhaust) :
- Top (exhaust) :
230 x 230 x 20 mm 800rpm, 15dBA

Video: Shaphiere 6870 (No OC)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

GOAL: -reach 4.5 Ghz on all cores at good temps fully stable.

PROBLEM: - Higth temps even at 4.1 :(
- errors on Prime95 and y-cruncher (I suppose due low voltages)
- Strange thing is that It have nerver crash, not sure if Win8 is super or what, but even a 4.5 low voltaje PC have never never crash.

Note: Screenshots where taken during Prime95 execution for about 30 minutes...

Attachments

• CPUz1-at-4.0.PNG
    CPUz1-at-4.0.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,420
  • CPUz2-at-4.0.PNG
    CPUz2-at-4.0.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 989
  • CPUz3-at-4.0.PNG
    CPUz3-at-4.0.PNG
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • HWmonitor.PNG
    HWmonitor.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,040
Last edited:
I little offtopic, Currently using Old RAM, because the new one was faulty. Corsair Vengane 2x8GB @ 1866 Mhz.

Is the second time I got problems with Corsair RAM, I have already buy: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB (2 x 2x8GB @ 1866 Mhz CAS 9.

Your core temps are maxing out at 62c which is already 2c past what we preach around here as the limit for stability and you CPU (socket) temps are maxing out at 72c which is also 2c over what we tell people is the stable temp limit for that parameter. The Coolermaster V8 is woefully inadequate for overclocking an 8 core FX CPU. You really need to look at something like the Corsair H100.

And you state you have a 12 inch fan in the front of the case and a 12 inch fan in the back? Did you mean to say that? Is your case actually that wide?

You also left out an important picture from CPU-z: the "SPD" tab which shows manufacturer recommendations for ram timing and voltages at various frequencies. Need that to compare what you are actually running the ram at in the present which is shown in the Memory tab.

Sorry just edit first post, update current FAN sizes.

Corsair H100 is too expensive, any other methoth to lower temps? Even at stock 4.0 Ghz, cannot stay on the recomended temps (core 60/ socket 70)

I have read that I can upgrade the FAN within the V8 to a Noctua. Will it work?

Using over recommend temps (core 60/ socket 70) will degrade the CPU? I can run Prime95 for hours at that temps without crash?

Your case may be suffering from inadequate ventilation as well, i.e. hot air build up is not being removed fast enough. You might try taking the side panel of the case off and setting a household fan to blow into the open side of the case. If temps go down, then that tells you you need better ventilation. In that event, you could replace the two case fans with more powerful ones if you can live with the noise.

Getting back to your question, if you install a more powerful fan in the V8 it would probably help a little but I doubt if you will see a large difference. Maybe enough to get your temps back under control at current frequency and voltage levels.

Get and use the newest freeware version of HWMonitor. You are using an older version. Some have found it to read a little different. But no matter that you need to use the latest HWMonitor free version.
RGone...

62c at 1.42 vcore that must be a stock cooler. that temp just has to come down.

CD .... I believe he is using a coolermaster V8 for his CPU cooler ...... If so not a bad cooler in it's time but might be a bit light for any type of OC with an FX CPU. If you are planning to try changing the fan inside the V8 you can sub in any 120mm fan you will just loose your LED light on the cooler. If you decide to do this I would suggest a fan that is known top moove allot of air like Gentle Typhoon AP29 or AP 30, there are other fans that will work as well.

I have read that I can upgrade the FAN within the V8 to a Noctua. Will it work?

his cooler is listed with his cpu, yea, I missed it.
a 120mm noctua or the fans bassnut has listed.

oh, hey bassnut, good to hear from you again, it's been a while.

Yes CD it's been a whille this have just been to busy to do much of anything for a bit now. Hoping that will change a bit now ...... we'll see what happens.

OP has this >> FX 8350 @ 4.0 Ghz + Coolermastar V8.
And this >> - Front (intake) :
- Rear (exhaust) :
- Top (exhaust) :
230 x 230 x 20 mm 800rpm, 15dBA

With it all housed inside this >> Thermaltake V9.

But he has this goal >> -reach 4.5 Ghz on all cores at good temps fully stable.

And the OP says he has this problem >> Higth temps even at 4.1
- errors on Prime95 and y-cruncher (I suppose due low voltages)
- Strange thing is that It have nerver crash, not sure if Win8 is super or what, but even a 4.5 low voltaje PC have never never crash.

So let's break down what we can really see from his list of parts and pieces.
1. Look at the case fans and their RPMs and db ratings. What do we see? Yep, they don't move any air. Problem number one.

2. He has errors on P95 Blend at low cpu speed but we see that the Vcore has gone to 1.42V at some point in the P95 test because HWMonitor has logged it as so. Are the errors too much temperature induced?

3. He says he has only overclocked a P2 955BE to 3.8Ghz for daily use. previous to getting this 8 core monster cpu. Well he is in for a shock much like the one he has already received. What he has today and what was before are not even in the same book much less the same page. Vcore to make stable at speed and HEAT to get rid of after raising Vcore to push the cpu speed.

4. So what has the OP got to do first? I would say get heat out of the computer case. Job One? Looks like it.
RGone...

Thank you guys for all your replies.

I can confirm I no longer get errors on Prime95 or y-cruncher after manually set the vcore voltage on AMD Overdrive to 1.325 and on BIOS offset LLC to MEDIUM. Still on stock speed (4.0 Ghz, x20 multi)

As advised updated my HWmonitor to latest one. (pics updated)

Currently Testing with CASE opened I see a slight improve but not enough to get temp below 70c/60c.

What FANs do you recommend to replace the ones on my CASE?

Where do you live? What vendors are available to you and is purchasing online a reasonable option where you live? It's hard for us to make recommendations without some geography info because availability of products varies tremendously from one part of the world to another.

Amazon. Good! That will give you lots of choices. 22-24c is not that bad. Our overclocking brothers who live in places like Indonesia, the Philippines and India often have 30c ambient temps.

So, to answer your question about case fans, you would want to buy fans that move more air than the ones you presently have. So the first question would be to determine what you presently have and how much air they move. Fan power is rated in CFM (cubic feet per minute). Could you look at each of your present case fans and check the model number on the label. Google each model number and find out these specs if you can:

RPM and CFM and noise (db).

For a better CPU fan, this is what I would recommend, again it has an adjustable speed controller: SILVERSTONE FM121

Last edited:
yea he has heat issues there as trents is saying, get more airfow through the case.

Back