• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get ram up to speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Draven25

Registered
I was told I should post this here.

I have a Crosshair V Formula Z
16GB Trident X 2400
and a FX 9590BE

Problem I have is that the ram only seems to work at 1338.

I don't need to get the 2400 but it would be nice as it was recommended by AMD and Newegg and I paid for it. Even closer to 1800 would be good but can't even get that. Here is what CPU-Z shows.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    20 KB · Views: 294
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 276
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 271
Yea the memory controller needs a little kick in the butt.

Aaaand you needs to set your rig up manually.

IF the memory controller can handle 2400, we'll get you there.

What have you tried so far so we can get a grip on how much you know. Sounds like your kinda new to overclocking and such which 2400 would be a considerable OC. 2000 would be a good number to look for hopefully with better timings than what you have now.

TBH I have OC'd in the past...P133 past. I basically just tinkered with the presets in the BIOS. Nifty things.. if it would have worked. I see on the back of my Trident X pack. CL 10-12-12-31 1.65V needless to say when I tried to manually put this in, There were soo many more fields that could be modified,that I got scared I was going to input these numbers in the wrong spots. I called Asus who told me to call G.Skill and G.Skill said call, guess who, Asus! BTW call to G.Skill cost me $55 as it was an overseas call.

Needless to say I decided to RTFM and then got smarter and decided to hit the forums. Just as 8 cores are better than one. Collective knowledge exceeds the knowledge of one.

Edit: From what I have been told the N/B CPU and RAM should and can handle 2400 but your right, I would be happy at 2000. Oh and CPU case cooling should not be and issue. I have an H100i cooling the CPU that is running under clocked and plenty of intake/exhaust fans. All fans are highflow and when I crank up the RPMs I swear a jet is in my room.

Last edited:
Draven, thanks for starting your own thread, I wouldn't start at 2400mhz as some Fx's just cant handle the memory that high, mine is one in particular. I would start at trying 1866, setting your timings manually to the XMP-2400 profile, we can always try and lower them later. Make sure the DRAM voltage is set to at least 1.65, you may want to give it a little bump say 1.675, but since were not going to try and run 2400 right now it may not be necessary. Also manually set the Cpu/Nb voltage to 1.225 it may help get it stable.

Was it really that easy? Or does the timings need tweaked? Just ran a few tests and seems to be stable!

Attachments

• fixed voltage.png
    fixed voltage.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 265
Bring your timings down to CL10, and yep that's it ;)

What about tRas and those? The back of my package shows CL10-12-12-31 Should I bother? And when I was tinkering with the voltage I didn't see an area that mentions the CL timings. Any idea where they are hiding?

What about tRas and those? The back of my package shows CL10-12-12-31 Should I bother? And when I was tinkering with the voltage I didn't see an area that mentions the CL timings. Any idea where they are hiding?

Yep squeeze tRAS to it's 31 clocks like it should be.

You have the voltage at 1.65v right?

Maybe you can help me understand this. Cause I sure as F*** don't know where to go from here I have the CL tRCD tRP and tRAS times. But where on earth do they go??

Attachments

• IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    479.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    611.3 KB · Views: 266
In the top screen change the top 3 lines to 10 13 13 32 respectively, then on the second screen at the bottom change command rate to 1T.

Top 4 lines of ss 1 should be:
DRAM Row Cycle time 43
DRAM Command Rate try 1T and see if it works.

Top 4 lines of ss 1 should be:
DRAM Row Cycle time 43
DRAM Command Rate try 1T and see if it works.

Ran with these settings 6+ hours with memtest. No issues. BUT... I went to reboot and got a bios message that I have been getting from day one. It says that the memory is ok and to press f1 and save the settings in the bios. Problem is that it reverts to 1333? I entered everything back in. Booted back into windows ran memtest for another hour no issues. Kind of afraid to reboot though.

You should try setting your CPU_NB up to 1.25~1.27v. I have the trident X 8Gb kit and did some testing with it and my 9370. What I found had to do with BIOS revisions not setting ram properly. To be honest with the newest one I had a h**l of a time getting my machine to run. It kept defaulting to 800MHz for the ram before it would even start. We'll work with what you have so far and the higher CPU_NB should help your current issue. Could you tell me which BIOS version you are running

Ok will give this a shot.

BIOS Date: 12/24/13 15:23:58 Ver: 04.06.05

I can't nail it down from what you gave me. When you go into bios it should have it at the top of the screen. From the date you gave me I'd guess either 1801 or 1901.

Your memory should work at 2400 10-12-12-31 Command Rate 2N/T, 1.65V. If you notice any instability then raise CPU-NB voltage. Also you can set manually DRAM Ref Cycle time to 300 or 350ns. All other options can be at auto.
10-13-13 read is wrong and as Johan suggested you can try different BIOS version ( newer or older ). Latest version is not always best.

On some FX CPUs there are random bluescreens while running memory at higher clock ( like 2400 ). If you notice something like that then change memory settings to 2133 9-11-11-28 ~1.65V or 1866 8-9-9-28 ~1.65V.

Thing is I don't get blue screens or performance hits. Right now I am at 2400 10-13-13-32 tRC is 46 1.66v CPU/NB is 1.25 Command Rate 1T. What happens in when I first reboot is windows logo animation will not start I just get the window loading screen text. 2nd hard reboot I get the bios telling me to save the 1333 speed. I go back into BIOS enter in the values all over again and it works. Run a quick 10-15 min. memtest and it seems stable. I wish I could record it so you all can see what I mean. I will be out for a few hours and will get the correct BIOS version when I get back.

Back