• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't OC E6750

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

piltungr

Hi to all! I have problem with OC mine e6750 procesor. I have GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R motherboard and two different memory 2GB sticks Patriot (CL5) and Kingston (CL6) on 800MHz. I did everything like in tutorial turned off those CPU features, set CPU clock on 400 and memory multiplier on 2 to get 3.2GHz but when i save those setup and restart, computer do another restart and get back all default settings. First thing i thought that can cause problem was memory but when i try to OC with just one memory stick (Patriot) i have same problem, i can't get FSB on 400MHz. Here is CPU-Z ss

9New1.jpg

Anyone have some suggestion?

I used to run my E6750 at 500x8 :D It's a really good CPU.

Don't know what your problem might be, but have you tried raising memory voltage and chipset (MCH) voltage? 800MHz @ 1:1 was always quite tough on intel chipsets, and you might also need to increase the FSB voltage too.

I had the P35 DS4 with thie CPU and it was great. :thup:

Yea my P35-ds3l took my e6550 up to a 500fsb. Any bios shots of your settings (MIT)

Nah he shouldn't need more vcore for 3.2GHz. My E6750 was 1.3375 VID and could do 3.6GHz on stock vcore, and all the high end 65nm CPUs I had or saw did 3.2GHz on stock vcore.

By all means try raising vcore to 1.3v or 1.325v. Check Core Temp for the VID (min required voltage) of your CPU.

Here is the pics from bios

Settings which i save to cmos
CGZq1.jpg
comp get two restarts and get back these settings
VbaBA.jpg
img of advance set
bNtZO.jpg

I dont think you need a +2v on everything. I only need a +1 on mch when i was going over 400fsb and a +1 when my ram was getting to 900+mhz Overclock if i remember right.

Also i just read that you have 2 different types of memory and that might be whats causing your problem. The two brands have different timings. Do you have 1 2gb stick of Patriot and 1 2gb stick of Kingston? Are they both 800mhz or is one stick 800mhz and 1 stick 667mhz?

Last edited:
Yes two different sticks, Patriot 800MHz (CL5) and Kingston 800MHz (CL6) you can see that on ss from CPU-Z, two lower SS show info about memory. But as i said even if i leave just one stick i have same problem it always put back def settings.

Last edited:
What timings do you have saved in bios? I would probably still try overclocking w/ just the CL5 stick because i think you will still run into problems trying to overclock when having the two different sticks w/ different timings.

This is what another member had me do when i was overclocking my E6550 . It will help you determine what your limits are or whats holding you back in your overclock.

RealTemp is using 100*C as the TjMax value, and I think that is more accurate. The key value is the Distance to TjMax, though, and you want to keep that above 20 if possible; the higher the better.

Your RAM doesn't have any higher SPD values than DDR2-800, but it still might have some OC in it if you feel like giving it a little extra voltage.

There are 3 basic components that you need to worry about in OCing 775 (RAM, FSB, CPU). From this point on all 3 are being OC'd, so it helps to try and isolate the components and work on them 1 at a time.

First see what your RAM will do. Lower the FSB back to 333, and drop the CPU multi to 6. This takes the FSB and the CPU out of the equation. Then increase the System Memory Multiplier (RAM:FSB ratio) to 2.4. This will put your RAM back to 800.

Now start increasing the FSB; 340, 350, etc. Each time make sure you can boot into Windows, and then try to run P95 large-fft for 5-10mins. If you get no errors for that time frame try to go higher. If you do get errors try increasing DDR2 voltage to +0.1v. You want to see how fast it'll run. Once you get back to 400FSB then your RAM will be at DDR2-960. If you can get to DDR2-1000 then that means that when we start on the FSB w/ the 2.00 ratio you will have the opportunity to get to 500FSB w/o worrying about the RAM. So, drop the FSB to 380, and switch to the 2.5 RAM:FSB ratio. Try to climb again to hit 400FSB, DDR2-1000. You may not get that high, but it's just an example. You can also try loosening timings to 6-6-6-18 as that may also help you get them running at a higher speed. As you zero in on your top RAM speed start running large-fft for longer periods of time. Ideally you'd want it to make P95 large-fft come full circle; if you watch the fft sizes you'll see them increase from 1024k, and once they get back to 1024k you know it's made a full cycle. This usually completes if you leave it running overnight. Take notes so you know what your RAM can do at various timings and voltages.

Let's assume you get to DDR2-1000. Now we start on the FSB. Since we know the RAM can get to DDR2-1000 we know we can potentially make it to 500FSB, but we also only know that the CPU is capable of 2.8GHz, so w/ the 6 multi we can only be sure of being able to reach 467. Put the FSB to 400, and change the RAM:FSB ratio back to 2.0. Now work up slowly again; 410, 420, etc. Use Large-fft to test again, and use the same method of 5-10min intervals to get yourself in the ballpark. If you fail note how long it lasted until the failure. If was instant then drop your FSB speed 1MHz and try again. Basically you want it to last at least a minute before failing, so that you can make voltage adjustments and see if their helpful in a relatively short amount of time. FSB and MCH voltages will be the options to try. Try +0.1v on FSB, and if that doesn't improve your fail time, then put it back and try +0.1v on MCH; trial and error basically. Again, try to get it so that you can pass a Large-fft full cycle. Again take notes so you know what voltages are needed for certain speeds.

Let's assume you make it to 467FSB. We want to get to 500 if possible, so let's make sure the CPU can do 3GHz first. Put the FSB at 400 again, and put the CPU multi back up to 7. Now increase the FSB again and see if you can get to 3GHz (429FSB). This time use small-fft to test. Just run it for an hour or so to ensure basic stability, and use a little more vcore if you need to.

Once you get there go back to 467FSB and the 6 multi, and start where you left off on the FSB OCing and try to get to 500FSB if possible.

Let's assume you make it 500FSB stable. It's time to work on the CPU now. At this point we know the FSB can do 500, and we know the RAM is capable of DDR2-1000, and we know what voltages/settings are needed to achieve these levels. Go back to 429FSB and the 7 multi. Slowly increase the FSB again. Use the same methodology as before except w/ small-fft instead of large-fft. Use vcore to stabilize.

I was able to get to 3.8GHz on an E6750 w/ 1.4v stable. I'm guessing your 6550 might get to 3.5GHz w/ ~1.35v.

Of course, you try higher if you want, but this is just an example.

I tried this with just one stick, put fsb on 333 multiplier on 6, and memory multiplier on 2.4 but again it just get back default settings. Maybe something wrong with motherboard, bios?!

Yea my guess is that the ram you have is holding you back. Its not meant to be overclocked in my opinion, its just standard ram.

I personally have this ram and i was able to boot into windows w/ it overclocked to 1000mhz. Other people in the reviews have had good results when overclocking it.

Im running 3GB of this because i got xp 32-bit and it wont recognize a full 4gb. Gskill is also good because it runs off 1.8v which is default on my motherboard and is probably the same for you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

If you have a 64bit OS then you can run a 4gb or more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

You might also check out the memory section of the forum and see what others recommend.

Also do you have a good overclocking heatsink?

One other thing that i noticed is that in you bios shot where it says "Init display first" you selected PCI. PCI is if you have a PCI graphics card and PEG is if you have a PCIe graphics card. If your running PCIe like me then you can change it to PEG. Besides that you bios looks good, its almost exactly the same as mine.

Last edited:
Both his ram kits are PC6400 which means they can run at 400MHz (DDR 800), so with 400MHz FSB the ram won't be what is holding him back.

It's possible however that the ram might need more voltage than stock 1.8v - I would suggest trying 2.2v and see what happens.

Back