• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't open harddrive Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkspine

Registered
Hi,

I have a problem with one of my harddrives, I can't open it. If I try to open it it says that it's not reachable and that the catalog can be damaged and can't be read.

If I enter bios I can see that all the HDDs are there. It's SATA-disc that I'm talking about. There is a total of 3 discs but only 1 of them that I can't access. It contains various music programs and plug-ins.

The OS is Windows XP and we use it as a studio computer, for music making. So we havn't had ANY internet connection to it, nor has it been connected to our home network. We have been away for two weeks and during that time we pulled out all the electrical items from the walls, including this computer. When we started it now the date had changed back to januray 1st 2000. Can this has something to do with it?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe... correct the date in the bios and find out. That said, try the drive in another PC. If it doesnt work there, it may just have went bad.

Maybe... correct the date in the bios and find out. That said, try the drive in another PC. If it doesnt work there, it may just have went bad.

Everything seems to be in order in the bios. I'll try the driver in another computer tomorrow and get back with an answer then.

Thanks!

But doesn't make sense that the driver has gone bad just because we unplugged it from the wall for 14 days. I'm hoping that it's something else. But I will check back with you tomorrow when I have tried around some more.

Thanks again!

It doesnt, but I have seen more strange things happen. Set the date properly, and if that doesnt work, try it in another PC.

I had two perfectly working Seagate 160Gig drives that I pulled from a system and set aside for about 9 mos. Set aside the same as my Hitachi drives. Plugged the two 160Gig Seagates up and watched what looked like the controller go up in smoke. Or it might have been wiring to the motor. Strange stuff can just happen to electro-mechanical devices. Obviously sitting did my two Seagates no favors but the two HItachis that were sitting on the same shelf both fired right up and I blanked them without issue.
RGone...

Hi,

I have a problem with one of my harddrives, I can't open it. If I try to open it it says that it's not reachable and that the catalog can be damaged and can't be read.

If I enter bios I can see that all the HDDs are there. It's SATA-disc that I'm talking about. There is a total of 3 discs but only 1 of them that I can't access. It contains various music programs and plug-ins.

The OS is Windows XP and we use it as a studio computer, for music making. So we havn't had ANY internet connection to it, nor has it been connected to our home network. We have been away for two weeks and during that time we pulled out all the electrical items from the walls, including this computer. When we started it now the date had changed back to januray 1st 2000. Can this has something to do with it?

Thanks in advance!

There's a couple of things you could try.

Replace the sata cable. As silly as this sounds, they go bad.

Reseat the power plug on the drive.

reseat the sata cable on the board and drive if you don't have an extra to replace with.

I got some news. I opend up the computer and found not 3 but 4 HDDs (I did not build this computer). And when I use the admin tools to see the HDDs as well, I can see 4 HDDs. One of them were not online. The disk that is broken is supposed to be 600 GB, but when I open up the computer, all of them are 300 GB. Does that mean that two of the discs have been raid discs?

This is how it looks like. On the middle picture two of the discs doesn't have power plugged in, I had to plug em out in order to take the picture. Kinda tight in the box.

And yes, Im from Sweden, hence the language. Hopefully you understand, if not I will translate. :)

If the discs have been raided, which I have no idea if they have, is it still safe to try the discs out on another computer?

Yes, it appears that 2 of the drives are in raid.
Yes, you can remove the drives and test in another unit, just don't wipe/alter them or you break your array and lose the data.

Okey. And if I want to start up the raid again on the computer? What do I have to do then?

Just plug them back in the same spots and make sure they have power.
I have a feeling you're going to find that one of the drives is bad.

Sorry for my lazyness. But now I've tried all the discs in another computer and this is what I get up from the ones that have been raided. It's basically the same as on the other computer.

So again I can't open the one that it actually finds and that shows up under 'My Computer', it wants me to format it before I use it.

The other one says that it's 'Unallocated' and doesn't show up under 'My Computer'.

Thoughts? Or is it all gone? Nothing to save?

The one that says 'unallocated' / raw, is no longer formatted. If it was part of the raid array, the array has been broken and that data is now lost.

The one that says 'unallocated' / raw, is no longer formatted. If it was part of the raid array, the array has been broken and that data is now lost.

Okey, thanks. Sucks that the data is gone.

So one of them is completely damaged then? I could just format the one that says raw and use it again, right?

Back