• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matt180

Registered
Am upgrading to an aftermarket CPU cooler, Noctua NH-D14.

Would it be wise to install 1 or even 2 120mm case fans on top of the inside case, Since it has the option of adding these to suck the heat out?. Case is a Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced.

It can't hurt, but don't expect huge differences. It's quite a nice case with decent airflow.

Adding top fans makes a massive difference. That's where most of the heat wants to go anyways due to convection.

BTW a D14 isn't necessary on a Thuban, much less a Deneb. It's more for bragging rights than actually making a difference. You would fry that CPU through overvoltage before you even got close to 55 celsius on a D14, if you even could :).

So, you're spending money unnecessarily. Buy it if you want. You just don't need it. Neither do I. Had a 950 CPU before. Needed it. Now not so much.

I cant get past 3500MHz without temps rising to near 60 Celsius. Although I do know now that my CPU is limited with its ability to overclock. I do plan on overclocking regardless, Even if I have to buy another AMD CPU later down the line.

I do have a cheaper tower cooler, But somehow i don't think it will make much of a difference to temps. Im going to try get my hands on a Coolermaster hyper 212+, But have to order it from overseas.

Back