• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fans powered down ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

Has anyone ran into this issue before ? I have a Sabertooth 990fx in a HAF 922 case. I have , 1 - 220 fan for front inlet air , 1 240 side mount fan for inlet air , 1 220 top mount fan for exhaust air and 1 120 fan for rear exhaust.
Also note , I just upgraded to a Corsair AX 650 psu. This issue has only happened once so far. My top fan came to a stop and the front , rear and side fans powered down to very slow. AI suite gave warnings about fans rpm. I restarted the computer and all fans came back to full speed. All fans are connected to motherboard. And I am running latest bios ( 0901 ). All quiet and cool for both cpu and case fans are disabled. I am using a NH D14 cpu cooler and cpu fans never lost power or rpm. I opened HW Monitor before I restarted computer and it did not show any voltage drop. At a loss on where to start looking for the problem.
Thanks
jshake:bang head

Sounds like you're pulling to many amps off the mobo bud. Be careful trying to pull that much power from your mobo it'll kill it.

Generally speaking something is heating up to the point where it's starting to fail hence the reason the fans are slowing down.

Get the specs of the fans first. I'm only assuming at this point. Without hard evidence there's nothing concrete to go by.

Like he said, sounds like to many amp trying to be pulled from the 3-4 pin connectors, casue caps to get to warm.. I'd swap the front, side, top to PSU molex and see what happends.

Fixed , I Think

I just bought a NZXT Sentry Fan Controller. Moved all of my fans to it , Except for the cpu fans. I have not had a issue yet. I had already down clocked from 4.0 Ghz @ 1.45 Vcore to 3.8 Ghz @ 1.35v. for 24/7 use. That lowered my over all load temps from 52c ( load core temp ) to 45c max. I just removed the 240 mm side fan. There was no rise in temp. I believe that fan was little over kill anyway.
Thanks to all for the advice.
jshake :clap:

Has anyone ran into this issue before ? I have a Sabertooth 990fx in a HAF 922 case. I have , 1 - 220 fan for front inlet air , 1 240 side mount fan for inlet air , 1 220 top mount fan for exhaust air and 1 120 fan for rear exhaust.
Also note , I just upgraded to a Corsair AX 650 psu. This issue has only happened once so far. My top fan came to a stop and the front , rear and side fans powered down to very slow. AI suite gave warnings about fans rpm. I restarted the computer and all fans came back to full speed. All fans are connected to motherboard. And I am running latest bios ( 0901 ). All quiet and cool for both cpu and case fans are disabled. I am using a NH D14 cpu cooler and cpu fans never lost power or rpm. I opened HW Monitor before I restarted computer and it did not show any voltage drop. At a loss on where to start looking for the problem.
Thanks
jshake:bang head

That's like trying to jumpstart a Mac Truck with a Vespa battery.

Err I'm actually going to go back on what i said earlier bc if those are the stock fans, they don't' draw much current at all, no more than many 120mm. Maybe at startup they do, due to the rotational inertia the motor has to overcome, but at speed they don't draw much

Back