• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

Ok I haven't got a new case in several yrs and after spending the last 4 hrs looking at the Leet Systems thread, I'm ready for a new build.

I got a Lian Li v2000 now but I don't necessarily need a big case like this for my next build.... I know I kinda like the Coolmaster Sniper & Lian Li k62...... color I think its either black or silver... I do like how cases now come painted black inside. I think that looks much better than a unpainted inside.

If you guys were gonna get a new case what would you recommend?

how much can you spend on new case?
cooler master haf 922 is a good case, but it isnt small, its a little bigger but the price is really good:santa2:

price isn't really a issue maybe 200-250max for the case but the more I save here is the more I get to upgrade somewhere else., I mean I cant afford a magic mods case or anything crazy like that.

Before I always got the parts then found a case to work, trying to find the right case and build around it this time, color coordinate and everything so it looks sweet..... Aslo thinking of loosing the water since im basically running stock now a days so air cooling will be fine probably. I dont OC anymore like I was before on the verge of a meltdown at anytime..

The Sniper is a great case. It truley is a lovely case. It's great for LANs and just for general use. Keeps things cool and dayam does it look cool.

I think my 922 looks nicer and the 932 looks even nicer but for practicality the Sniper beats both. Cooling wise, as far as I know, it goes like this: Sniper < 922 < 932

I don't think there's much difference between the 922 and the Sniper but the 932 is quite a bit better.

NOTE: All of ^ is as far as I know so it could be very wrong =P

^
He's looking at the sniper... He hasn't got a ridiculus amount of money to spend...

Also check this out for my cable management in a HAF922
I can't see how you can get much better than that no matter what case you have.

P1010134.jpg

ya I'm all about cable management, ill see if I can find a before and after pic of my rig now.. it was terrible and right now I'm quite proud of it but now its perfection and the silver inside of the case take away from the looks I think thats why what ever case I get ifs the inside isn't painted it will be before I get it setup.

Another Haf 922 with cable management... will soon post with new vga cooler :)

myrigh.jpg

I <3 the 800 d and cant wait to finish building this engine for one of my cars because then my next purchase will be the case of my dreams and im finnaly going to be cooled by liquidz.

I have yet to see any other case that made me say "no way.. its got that to!" so many times while looking at reviews.

I think the CM Storm scout is awesome, very nice price with lack interior. But it might be to small considering th case you are looking at.

Posted in another thread...

I second the HAF 922. HAF stands for High Air Flow. Whilst I have no personal experience of this case myself I strongly considered getting it only to find out it was 3mm to wide for the space I have for it. Same goes for the CM Storm Sniper - Yeah I 'spose I could do something about that, but then someone pointed me to the CM 690 II. Which is on order.

Personally I prefer the understated looks of the CM 690 II over the HAF 922. No side window, plenty of features, plenty of airflow. Funnily though I like the mesh side window of the Storm Sniper even more. For me the CM 690 II won out on price (similar to the HAF 922 and cheaper than the CM Storm Sniper) and features (even though it has fewer 5.25 bays than both and 2 less front USB than the Sniper).

Price wise, the CM 690 II and the HAF 922 are currently available through Newegg, all for ~$100 US where as the CM Storm Sniper is ~$130 US.

Here is a quick round-up of the 3 together. NB: the fans supported lists only the max number of max size fans, certain places have options for smaller fans instead.

Code:
			CM 690 II Advanced	CM HAF 922		CM Storm Sniper		HAF 932

Dimensions (WxHxD mm)	214.5 x 511.8 x 528.8	253 x 502 x 563		254.6 x 551 x 566.6	243 x 560 x 564

External bays		4x 5.25"		5x 5.25"		5x 5.25"		6x 5.25"
			1x 3.5" (from 5.25")	1x 3.5" (from 5.25")	1x 3.5" (from 5.25")	1x 3.5" (from 5.25")

Internal Bays		6x 3.5" (4 removable)	5x 3.5"			5x 3.5"			5x 3.5"
			2x 2.5" (from 3.5")				1x 2.5" (from 3.5")

Front I/O		2x USB 2.0		2x USB 2.0		4x USB 2.0		4x USB 2.0
			1x eSata		1x eSata		1x eSata		1x eSata
			1x Mic			1x Mic			1x Mic			1x Mic
			1x Audio		1x Audio		1x Audio		1x Audio
									1x IEEE 1394		1x IEEE 1394

Expansion slots		7+1			7+1			7+1			7

Fans supplied		2x 140mm, 1x 120mm	2x 200mm, 1x 120mm	3x 200mm, 1x 120mm	3x 230mm, 1x 140mm

Fans supported		5x 140mm, 3x 120mm	3x 200mm, 1x 140mm	3x 200mm, 1x 140mm	3x 230mm, 1x 140mm
			2x 80mm			1x 120mm		1x 120mm		1x 120mm

Additional Features	eSata HDD Dock					Storm Guard
			VGA Retainer

Price (Approx USD)	$100			$100			$130			$150

My CM 690 II [link] is coming tomorrow.

Good for cable management, all black, few extras out front (though no storm guard), great for airflow, cooling and water cooling (can accept TWO 240x120 rads). And it is a little slimmer than the storm (though lacking that sexy mesh side panel)

Well I agree the HAF series is very very cool, and alot of people love the interior. But the styling isn't everyone's cup of tea and some people say they get sick of it. I personally love the Lian Li cases, and a PC-K62 is really a great case, too bad it's not aluminum though. The PC-K62 has soooo many convenient features that the HAF doesn't. Almost everything that can silenced, is silenced. The drive bay mounting is amazing, the tooless PCI mounting is amazing, and the PSU mounting is awesome, and there's plenty of cooling with all 140mm fans that are included. Maybe a CM690 or a CoolerMaster scout case. It all depends on whats going in it I guess. I'd say the PC-K62 just becuase of all the awesomeness for only about $120.

ok you guys are posting some awesome cases, here is what I got now.... its looks ok but lacks that something that sets it over the top.

edit to resize pics.

Attachments

• comp cleanup 036.JPG
    comp cleanup 036.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 465
  • comp cleanup 031.JPG
    comp cleanup 031.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 450
  • comp cleanup 038.JPG
    comp cleanup 038.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 435
is that the $5 digi clock from walmart on the second one?

I have the same thing on my lil valet stand at work :p

is that the $5 digi clock from walmart on the second one?

I have the same thing on my lil valet stand at work :p

ya I took it out just tonight as I was taking the pics, it was there since I was redoing my wires as i didn't have a clock in the room. Didnt really fit in.

Another Haf 922 with cable management... will soon post with new vga cooler :)

DAMN YOU!!!!! Whenever I think my cable management is perfect you always have to post and show me how it's done ;_;

@rcillig
Oh! Your watercooling! Well go for an Antec1200 if you don't want to spend to much but the 800D is IMENSE for watercooling (EarthDogs review is on here somewhere)

I started this thread looking for a new case for a new build but now i think I'm going to replace my Lian Li v2000 with a new case right now and get my new build case next month.

ok so after looking over all the cases you guys recommended. I love the Corsair but its very pricey, I think my second favorite is the HAF 932 but I would have to paint the inside or it witch I don't think would be too hard. Pulling in very close at 3rd in the CM690 Advanced in fact not having to paint the inside may just bump this one up. But I'm thinking of getting the CM690 II for my new build pc next month.

Man it always so hard to make up my mind with stuff like this.

If you paint the inside of the 932 it's going to look sick!
I think the 922 is actually better for cable management but that's just personal experiance.

Just 1 thing, the 922 and 932 don't have any sound proofing so if your running loud fans or loud HDDs then be prepared to turn your speakers up (it's only noticable to me when there's nothing coming out of my speakers)

Back