• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CC "To Do" for the Weekend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just cleaned out my window ac unit in my computer room yesterday, and it sure needed it. It almost made me vomit, looking at all the crud in the inside blower section of it. And both sets of coils were damn near plugged up with lint and dirt and cat hair and whatnot. Now it's cooling at least twice as good as it was and I know that airflow has at least doubled.

Should be ready soon.

so all we do to change the name is add/edit the current folding instance in v7?

also, anybody have a lga775 board i can stick a core2quad 8200 in? currently averaging about 6k ppd but hoping for a little more if i can overclock it.

Great to have you with us, Cultie - whatever you can add in points. YOU were instrumental in bringing a large portion of the Rosetta team over, and pulling our fat out of the fire last year, with just one post.

Just like an Irishman - must have kissed the Blarney stone! :D

@ihrsetrdr: THAT is certainly clean! :D

Glad to hear my post made a difference :)

All I can say is, if I had kissed the Blarney Stone God help the other member here on the forum as there would be :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah: in every single thread :p

This is part of my weekend to do :)
Pictured: Koolance radiator with two 82 CFM Aerocool fans and one universal GPU water block. Not pictured: second Koolance GPU water block, EK Supreme LTX CPU block, Swiftech MCP655 pump, cyclone res.

Temps will not be an issue for this race ;)

Speaking of V7 client. Are there any core differences, AKA performance differences? I'm setup pretty nicely with v6 and GPU3 in Linux and I'm not sure if v7 GPU will be a battle to setup prior to the race. I'd rather focus on OC'ing everything with a water block on it rather than client config unless there is a performance gain.

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 75
No, there is no performance gain with V7. The cores that do 99.9% of the work, are the same.

What V7 offers is a common interface for a lot of different things, using a GUI instead of a console terminal, and it has a "download the next wu when the current work unit is 99% done" feature. (Which can be adjusted somewhat lower). So it allows the cores to work while the finished wu is being uploaded.

I actually think it would be slower, except for this upload before you finish, feature. Seems to do too much updating/busy work, but it's a joy since it autoconfigures the folding client, for a lot of systems.

For someone with experience and a good set up with the older client, I would not change to V7. There are differences in the wu's available based on your OS, with Linux being favored. The degree of difference varies.

Cooling pr0n! :clap:

Yes it will handle it. If it hasn't folded before, set it for stock speeds, and be sure it's getting good cool air.

If you see that the temps are consistently low enough, then overclock it a bit higher, and repeat. You don't want to lose any work units.

Everything depends on the temps it has while folding, and that in turn depends on the specific design of the card, and the amount and temperature of the air that is being used to cool it down.

What a cute avatar pic. Yours?

That is my daughter with a grasshopper a few years ago.

Would running the gpu be the best way to fold on that machine?

Very cute!

It can easily do both. Go with the V7 client, and it should set it up automatically.

The only problem with the gpu folding set up, is the drivers, and the settings for your monitor shutting off automatically.

Some drivers quit folding at that time, and don't start folding again, until you start them up again.

Both 2500k's and 590's are good folders.

Yes it does. Still getting the same points per day.

Will you be joining us in the Chimp Challenge folding race?

For this weekend:

<< Install Linux (Ubuntu 11.10 recommended) or VMPlayer + Linux >>

For all those extra points! :clap:

The 6.34 folding client as a console, is recommended for Linux.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

and click on the Linux or "Other Platforms", button.

Beginners, and Families without Geeky teens, stick with Windows V7.

Yep! Don't have the fancy machines you guys do but I'll be there :D

There's more to a folding race than a fancy machine** -- much more. In fact, I'd say the biggest part of the Chimp Challenge, is getting the kind of invitations out there, so people will want to join in and race.

Can't have a team race without a team showing up to race!

It's a great time to introduce the subject with a friend too. "Hey, I'm in a folding race later on, you want to help me out?"

Giving F@Home that kind of exposure is fantastic, regardless of the race or it's outcome. Well, that and FUN! :thup:

**That 2600k rig could be a strong folder. Still got it?

Yeah I gotta overclock it back up to speed, it's running stock right now and I lost the settings for stable OC :rain: Guess that on my ToDo list for the weekend :D

I was told to do some folding a different forum and after looking here looks like it could be fun
Also what is this "team"

Setup is
[email protected]
SLI gtx590s
I could clock higher since its all on water

I have started it a few times but I think I am having ram cooling problems or something
After a 20 mins or so the motherboard beeps

I was told to do some folding a different forum and after looking here looks like it could be fun
Also what is this "team"

Setup is
[email protected]
SLI gtx590s
I could clock higher since its all on water

I have started it a few times but I think I am having ram cooling problems or something
After a 20 mins or so the motherboard beeps

Howdy and :welcome: flyjum!

It sounds like your system is not able to run Folding@Home at that high a speed. Can you slow it down to 4.2 or 4.3Ghz, and try again?

Where did you fold before?

A Chimp Challenge captain I met, told me they were going to be sending "scouts" out to other teams, to fold with them. So I guess you're a "scout"?

Fascinating idea!

You are welcome to race with us in the upcoming race, using your own passkey. Do you have a passkey from Stanford Folding@Home yet?

Back