• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing windows boot drive sata config from "raid" to "ahci"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

Changing windows boot drive sata config from "raid" to "ahci"

So I have an AMD A88X motherboard in my htpc. For a few reasons I want to change the bios config for the sata controller from RAID to AHCI. I followed the instructions in this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-you-change-the-sata-mode-of-the-boot-drive to have windows load the ahci driver, but now I can't boot. If I switch the bios option back to RAID, it boots fine. If I boot in safe mode, the system hangs on loading classpnp.sys then reboots (probably because it loads drive.sys right before). If I run the start-up recovery, it has no problem loading the storage drivers and mounting the drive since I can access it from the command prompt. What can I do to boot properly? I'd rather not reinstall windows. Doing a repair type installation is an option but I have to get a bootable USB drive so a simpler solution would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Are there any other drives connected? Fixing a boot drive works best if it's the only drive connected. For some reason Windows likes to hide bootmgr.exe on a separate drive if it can.

Are there any other drives connected? Fixing a boot drive works best if it's the only drive connected. For some reason Windows likes to hide bootmgr.exe on a separate drive if it can.

There were but I disconnected them and still no luck. Interestingly, in the startup repair its mounting the drive as D: instead of C:...

I can do that in startup repair by using diskpart, but the startup repair window still lists it as D: (C: is initially assigned to the 100mb system reserved partition)... (when I boot into windows, the correct partition is assigned to C: )

This is win7. Its definitely failing on the driver load I just can't seem to get it to load the right driver...

I have the ahci file for W7 registry, but the forum engine doesn't seem to want to accept it. I can email it if you want. Just DM me an email address.

My bad for forgetting the AMD ahci driver. AMD's SATA and ahci tend to be persnickety about being included their chipset driver packages.

Back