• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap amd gaming pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

hey everyone, i am looking at building a new gaming pc but want to go amd, i want to reuse my powersupply, case and ddr3 ram, so really i just want to upgrade cpu, motherboard and video card but i dont want to spend to much anyone got advice?

sorry about that i would like to stay at or under $500 if possible

I'd put emphasis on the GPU. This Nvidia 970 will do every you can think of better than any other chip in this price range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125806

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113399&ignorebbr=1

MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565&ignorebbr=1

While I didn't add it up, this might even hit your price point.

NOTE: This is meant as a starting point and a start of your search.

thanks if it wasnt for the fact my current PC is a 5 year old intel i5 i would just minimum upgrades but i think all of this will suit me just fine, is there a motherboard you might reccomend that is full atx?

If you have an i5 now, you might be happy with just a GPU upgrade. In that case, an Nvidia 980 would rock your world.

A GPU that is in the same price point at the Nvidia 970 would be the R9-380 I think and would have DX12. I don't know when DX12 will be a "thing" but it isn't yet. My experience with getting GPUs for a DX level that isn't mainstream yet is abysmal. I personally will not buy a GPU for a DX version that is not yet mainstream.

In terms of recommending a full ATX MB, I don't have a recommendation. Most will be fine especially if you don't OC. If you do OC, then your budget is toast. I've had great luck with MSI MB but horrific results with MSI GPUs.

If you have an i5 now, you might be happy with just a GPU upgrade. In that case, an Nvidia 980 would rock your world.

A GPU that is in the same price point at the Nvidia 970 would be the R9-380 I think and would have DX12. I don't know when DX12 will be a "thing" but it isn't yet. My experience with getting GPUs for a DX level that isn't mainstream yet is abysmal. I personally will not buy a GPU for a DX version that is not yet mainstream.

In terms of recommending a full ATX MB, I don't have a recommendation. Most will be fine especially if you don't OC. If you do OC, then your budget is toast. I've had great luck with MSI MB but horrific results with MSI GPUs.

the i5 i have it might be an i7 i cant remember but either way its 5 years old now and even with my 6950 it can just barely run fallout 4 on the lowest settings possible

So you pick probably if not the worst 970 ever made and claim there is nothing else in the price point?
that 970 was one of those mini 970's with a single 8 pin connector on it, blower style complete with noise and coil whine

spend the little extra and get a 970 that's not junk
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-487-088-_-Product

or from amd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150729&cm_re=r9_390-_-14-150-729-_-Product

I don't upgrade often so I would like to get long life out of any part I buy, not just something that good for right now but poor support for upcoming software

Last edited:
Tough crowd....:)

That isn't a mini 970 (in fact the 970 you picked is smaller than the one he did!), and coil whine varies from card to card. Though to be fair, some models have more of a propensity to whine than others. Also, some people prefer that blower fan, as loud as it can be, in small form factor cases where getting more heat out of the case is a good idea (not in this case).

Where I do take exception to his suggestions is with the motherboard. That mobo will be lucky to run an 8370 at STOCK speeds... there really are only a few that are reccomended by the AMD guys and a $50 board with 4 phases for the CPU sure as heck isn't one of them. ;)

$500 really isn't going to get you much. You can see the GPUs we are recommending are already $330 leaving you $170 for CPU and mobo...I would really look to increase your budget a couple hundo so you can get maybe a GTX 980 or a R9 390 as well as a decent CPU and mobo. If you upgrade that infrequently, you will be thanking us two years down the road.

Last edited:
So you pick probably if not the worst 970 ever made and claim there is nothing else in the price point?
that 970 was one of those mini 970's with a single 6 pin connector on it, blower style complete with noise and coil whine
Good information.

NOTE: This is meant as a starting point and a start of your search.

- - - Updated - - -

Tough crowd....:)

Anyway, what is your budget for the parts you want to upgrade OP?
$500

- - - Updated - - -

the i5 i have it might be an i7 i cant remember but either way its 5 years old now and even with my 6950 it can just barely run fallout 4 on the lowest settings possible

You'll be GPU limited not CPU especially if you have an i7. I'm still gaming with a Core i7-920 and have no issues. I use a 7990 which is a dual 7970's and 24 GB DDR3. Ultra high on all settings for the games I play. An AMD 6950 unfortunately is long in the tooth.

not looking to start arguments or anything, just voicing my opinions :p

maybe i'm missing something because this looks like a mini card to

I lived with a blower cooler for almost 8 years, it was not pleasant
I don't know if the op still has the antec 900 which has decent airflow and can vent out the top

not looking to start arguments or anything, just voicing my opinions :p

maybe i'm missing something because this looks like a mini card to

I lived with a blower cooler for almost 8 years, it was not pleasant
I don't know if the op still has the antec 900 which has decent airflow and can vent out the top
It's not a big deal. It's not what you said but the delivery of that information.

I only picked that card because it was the lowest priced 970 on the site and for no other reason. It was simply meant as a starting point. Your information is helpful here.

LOL yes, the PCB is small, but the cooler is not. THIS is the true mini card (what I was thinking).

It's not what you said but the delivery of that information.
+1 (and something I need to work on more times than not too, LOL!

$500 really isn't going to get you much. You can see the GPUs we are recommending are already $330 leaving you $170 for CPU and mobo...I would really look to increase your budget a couple hundo so you can get maybe a GTX 980 or a R9 390 as well as a decent CPU and mobo. If you upgrade that infrequently, you will be thanking us two years down the road.

I'm going to jump back and say that if indeed the OP has a core i7, just get a good GPU and call it done.

Agreed all around on that point.

Jediobi1, look at cleaning the dust from your machine and get the best card you can afford.

Back