• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest but stable/trustable Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IMO if it wasn't made for overclocking then they wouldn't make it in z77 chipset.

Your manual on your motherboard says it wasn't made for overclocking or something to that effect. Check it out it's one of the first pages.

Anyways I normally only buy 8+2 or better power phases but with the Intel boards they can def push the 2500K and 3570K chips to 4.5GHz because I have used the cheapest AsRock boards on several builds usually with an OEM 2500K or a 3570K whichever was cheaper at microcenter at the time I build the computer for the person.

I would not chance an unsinked 4+1 phase on an AMD cpu that you are planning to OC though. That is just my 2 cents... I caught a 970 MSI board on fire and that was with aftermarket copper sinks on the board. It took the CPU with it when the VRM lit up like a flare.

I am not gonna bother with this setup in my sig anymore, I am gonna try to sell it on Craigslist for 500-550 and buy Intel. Also, I am gonna go with this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...157295&RandomID=32624702156921520130613152335 ASRock Extreme6. Comes with RAM (I know the RAM won't have much potential) but that saves me 60-70$, which is like buying the motherboard for 75$ or w/e. Newegg is so good at sucking people into their deals that don't want to buy stuff

I could not find that in the Z77 Pro3 manual.

I'm not judging anyone's knowledge here, but I think if it couldn't overclock, that it would be better for their rep to not mention it, than to specifically say it can't overclock. Just makes sense. But who knows, there are many weird people in this world, its possible haha

Yeah I am sure I will lose some multitasking speed, but I'm also sure it might not even be noticeable going from a AMD quad to a i7 lol. But thanks for the input. If I do notice some lag I will definitely have to pick up the second stick

Last edited:
I could not find that in the Z77 Pro3 manual.

I looked it up and I apologize greatly. They say it just isn't there fault if damage is caused. So I apologize about that... it has been well over 6 months since I read that manual.

Regardless... you can unlock and overclock AMD CPUs on super cheap unsinked MSI boards... just because it is z77 doesn't mean the board itself has any special merits.

That said... I have had no problem hitting 4.2 - 4.4GHz with that board every time I have used it in a build. So nothing wrong with it that's for sure. Plenty of people have gone higher but I usually don't go for big OC's on other peoples rigs.

Well I ordered the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 and when I searched the RAM that comes with it for reviews, I only found reviews for the same RAM but it runs @ 1.5v default and it made it to 2133 with 1.65v. So it only makes sense that RAM starting at a lower voltage could go just as high if not higher. Well, I am not sure when I am buying the CPU. I kinda want to wait until I sell this PC, but I am not sure if I can resist finishing the build when the last piece needed is the i7.

I've always been of the mind to spend more on the motherboard and PSU, since they will be the basis of the whole build and are -- "generally" -- the components that will be upgraded least often.

But, if at the end of the day you are happy with your build and it does what you want, more power to you.

I've always been of the mind to spend more on the motherboard and PSU, since they will be the basis of the whole build and are -- "generally" -- the components that will be upgraded least often.

But, if at the end of the day you are happy with your build and it does what you want, more power to you.

Yeah I know what you mean. But the thing with me is, I don't need the best performance, parts, scores, fps, etc. Like some people that SLI GTX Titans, 690s, 680s that is just for bragging rights. Unless playing Crisis with a 3 or more Eyefinity/Nvidia surround, it is so useless to buy such things. If you buy one and wait 1-2 years, the price stays the same but the performance goes up by large amounts. Funny thing is, my GTX 260 is still going strong. I haven't tried Crisis 3 and I haven't tried battlefield 3, but I have tried others like Bioshock Infinite, Resident Evil 6, NFS:MW 2012. And the performance is very much acceptable. 30-60fps with maxed settings @ 1920x1080 and I only spent 200$ on that videocard 4 years ago. I'm all about good deals haha. And yeah I am gonna get a i7, which clearly is not needed for any videogame, but I render videos and since microcenter offers them 100$ cheaper than online sites like Newegg, its a steal. That processor will have me set for another 4 or more years.

Thanks for the reccommendations, but I actually received the motherboard today, I went with the Extreme 6. It looks very nice and the packaging was kinda nice. I guess that's what manufacturers do when you start spending a bit more. I spent only 100$ on a Gigabyte board and it was just a normal box. But the ASrock box had a handle, was bigger and just looked like they spent time on it, rather than throwing text on it and selling it

You really shouldn't have gone with that Extreme 6 with only one stick of RAM. Running in single channel will mean some performance loss. Get into a 2 stick configuration asap.

You really shouldn't have gone with that Extreme 6 with only one stick of RAM. Running in single channel will mean some performance loss. Get into a 2 stick configuration asap.

Yeah I kinda assumed that. But I am just upgrading with good deals and selling this old PC to pay off most of the new one. I got a nice Bitfenix case for 33$ after rebate (usually 100, then shipping ), 1TB WD external USB 3.0 for 20$ (normally 100$), Mobo with free RAM (saved 60-70 there. Corsair CX600 was like 70, but after coupon and rebate it came to 38$. Lastly I just need to pickup a 3770k from Microcenter and save 80-100$ over Newegg/other sites. Hyper 212 also had a rebate and I used a 15 or 20% off coupon haha. Very low price for nice upgrades

Back