• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheapest way to get to 16GB of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I currently have an ASUS M3N78 PRO which is maxed out with 8GB of ram. For most uses this is enough memory, but I have been running some simulation software that started to use all of the memory and it brings my computer to a halt.

I have been looking around for motherboards that support 16Gb of ram, the problem is they only have 4 dimm slots. I currently have 4x 2GB modules, which would require me to ditch them and purchase 4x 4GB modules. I checked the prices, and that is about $700-800 of ram, when my 8GB of DDR2800 memory cost just under $100 (well i just checked the current prices, the same exact ram doubled in price to just under $200 this year).

So, are there any motherboards out there that have 8 dimm slots? Is there any solution to obtain 16GB of memory with out spending about $1000 for an upgrade?

A server based board would have 8....

Thanks for the info, that's what I suspected. It would require me to ditch my CPU too. So I guess the answer is there is no way to get 16GB in the desktop price range yet. I should be happy I was able to get a cheap quad core system with 8GB while memory prices were low.

I guess upgrading to a motherboard with 4 dimm slots that supports 16GB is the best idea. When/if memory prices drop, I can just add some 4GB modules.

Something like this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157159 should do

The most RAM slots you will find for single CPU board so far is on Intel Core i7 with 6. A server board will have 8, but that's most likely with dual CPU sockets and 4 slots per CPU. So to get 16GB you will need 4GBx4 sticks. The new Opteron G34 server boards will be released with quad-channel DDR3 support, 8 RAM slots per CPU. :D Click me to go to Dolk's post, that has a picture of it towards the bottom.

When/if memory prices drop, I can just add some 4GB modules.

DDR2 is past it's extremely low price point. Unfortunately it's on is way out, so over supply will not be a factor in forcing the price to very low levels again. I'd expect DDR3 and DDR2 to swap places shortly, on a price/quantity scale.

Have you priced out a server style setup?

DDR2 is past it's extremely low price point. Unfortunately it's on is way out, so over supply will not be a factor in forcing the price to very low levels again. I'd expect DDR3 and DDR2 to swap places shortly, on a price/quantity scale.

Have you priced out a server style setup?

Thats good to know, so that would not be an ideal solution.

If these simulations become routine, I'll price out a server but the price of server level components vs desktop components is well out of my price range. I can possibly get my school to pay for it if other students will use it as well.

I spent under $500 (not including monitor) putting together a 3.4GHz quad core system with 8gb of ram using desktop components. I imagine the server alternative will be over $1000.

Thanks for everyone's input. I never thought I'd reach the day 8GB is not enough ram. :(

Back