• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CHECKSUM ERROR help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woundedrider

Registered
Hello everybody
I have a really annoying problem with my Gigabyte ga-ma78lmt-s2 mobo for 6 months.
It's ok until i cut the electricity. When i do this it gives me "bios checksum error" when booting, and after windows starts, date and clock shows 01/01/2010 00:00
-I changed the battery, nothing changed..
-I sent the mobo to gigabyte service twice (it took my 40 days) and they've send it to me again saying "NO PROBLEMS FOUND"
At first i thought that they are kidding me or something. But then i remembered that before giving my case to service, i took my harddisk.So they tested my pc with their own harddisk and windows, and they found nothing wrong.
It means the problem is win7 i have right? If this is true, which file is corrupted? what can i do? and how can i fix this without formatting my pc? (because i don't have a win7 cd)
I need help overclockers, thank you.

Woundedrider, I removed your duplicate thread in the General Motherboards forum. Please only create one thread per topic.

Yeah, the fact that this only happens when you cut the electricity points to the CMOS itself as the problem , not Windows or the HD. And I would put no stock in the fact that Gigabyte tech found no problems. Who knows if they even "cut the electricity" to simulate the condition which caused the problem to manifest itself. The fact is, your experience of having the faulty motherboard returned is all too common. I don't have a lot of respect for any of the major motherboard manufacturers' tech support. If you traffic this forum a lot for a long time you will read plenty of posts by disillusioned customers with regard to motherboard RMAs. I'm kind of to the point that if I have problems with a board I'll just buy a new one rather than hassle with RMAs and unresponsive, incompetent motherboard mfg tech support departments. I'm not sure if the problems is they are short-staffed, under-trained or what. I think a lot of them just try to wear you down hoping you'll give up.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact that this only happens when you cut the electricity points to the CMOS itself as the problem , not Windows or the HD. And I would put no stock in the fact that Gigabyte tech found no problems. Who knows if they even "cut the electricity" to simulate the condition which caused the problem to manifest itself. The fact is, your experience of having the faulty motherboard returned is all too common. I don't have a lot of respect for any of the major motherboard manufacturers' tech support. If you traffic this forum a lot for a long time you will read plenty of posts by disillusioned customers with regard to motherboard RMAs. I'm kind of to the point that if I have problems with a board I'll just buy a new one rather than hassle with RMAs and unresponsive, incompetent motherboard mfg tech support departments. I'm not sure if the problems is they are short-staffed, under-trained or what. I think a lot of them just try to wear you down hoping you'll give up.

I will NEVER buy anything from Gigabyte again! :bang head
B*stards do everything not to change a f**** 80$ mobo :mad:
I will buy a new one so which brand do you suggest for amd?

so you say it has nothing to do with windows right?

If it were the OS or a HD with a bad sector, why would this only happen when you cut the power to the computer?

I'm assuming you get this checksum error at the first part of bootup before Windows starts to load. Right?

You could check this another way by downloading Ubuntu Linux and burning it to a CD. Then try booting into Ubuntu from the live CD and see if you still get the checksum error after having cut the power. If you don't get the error then a corrupted OS or HD sector is back in the picture.

Last edited:
If it were the OS or a HD with a bad sector, why would this only happen when you cut the power to the computer?

I'm assuming you get this checksum error at the first part of bootup before Windows starts to load. Right?

You could check this another way by downloading Ubuntu Linux and burning it to a CD. Then try booting into Ubuntu from the live CD and see if you still get the checksum error after having cut the power. If you don't get the error then a corrupted OS or HD sector is back in the picture.

Yes i get the error right after i start the pc (before windows come).I think you are right, windws is ok.Gigabyte lied to me not to change the mobo..Curse them!

But I would still do the Ubuntu Live thing I talked about to eliminate a bad HD boot sector.

And why is it you don't have a copy of Windows to do a reinstall? Was the HD you are using in another computer with Wndows already on it? If so, you need to know that anytime you install a new motherboard, a fresh install of Windows is necessary for it to configure itself to the new mobo components. So realize that if you buy a new motherboard you will need a Windows install disc to make it work.

Last edited:
But I would still do the Ubuntu Live thing I talked about to eliminate a bad HD boot sector.

And why is it you don't have a copy of Windows to do a reinstall? Was the HD you are using in another computer with Wndows already on it? If so, you need to know that anytime you install a new motherboard, a fresh install of Windows is necessary for it to configure itself to the new mobo components. So realize that if you buy a new motherboard you will need a Windows install disc to make it work.

ok i will give it a try, what can i lose? :)
windows cd was a friend's. I can find a cd again but not before a week. should i stick with ultimate or professional is just fine?

Assuming your questions about operating system refer to Win 7, here is link to breakdown of the features for each of 6 versions of Win 7. If you want to use 8gigs of ram then you need the 64 bit version and most of those versions of Win 7 are available in eiher version. Very few need the Ultimate version for home use according to most sites and their recommendations.

Windows 7 Editions Features Comparison

I would check the voltage of the battery, I would also make sure it is not upside down.

So, you installed Windows using someone else's disc? That's a little illegal isn't it?

All the disks are the same, that doesn't matter. As long as one key is being used on one system, it is perfectly legal.

All the disks are the same, that doesn't matter. As long as one key is being used on one system, it is perfectly legal.

So, you installed Windows using someone else's disc? That's a little illegal isn't it?

I have my own key don't worry :)

I would check the voltage of the battery, I would also make sure it is not upside down.

I changed the batery twice, it's not upside-down. But i don't know how to check battery voltage. How can i do that? what is the standart voltage?

Assuming your questions about operating system refer to Win 7, here is link to breakdown of the features for each of 6 versions of Win 7. If you want to use 8gigs of ram then you need the 64 bit version and most of those versions of Win 7 are available in eiher version. Very few need the Ultimate version for home use according to most sites and their recommendations.

Windows 7 Editions Features Comparison

Thank you for url bro, really helpful :thup:

Take a multimeter/voltmeter and measure the voltage between one side and the other side of the battery.
If you don't have a multimeter, harbor freight sells 'em for $7 if you're in the US.

Take a multimeter/voltmeter and measure the voltage between one side and the other side of the battery.
If you don't have a multimeter, harbor freight sells 'em for $7 if you're in the US.
No man, i live in Turkey
and i don't know what a multimeter is :) I'm just an economics student, i don't know much about electricity and overclocking :rain:

Back