• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

choosing an overclockable mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twelvenine

Registered
I'm putting together a new machine and i want it to be overclockable. I've been looking at mobos on newegg and stuff, but none of them list the bios in the specs. I figure that if they would list the bios, I could just look it up and see what kind of overclocking features it supports. How do you go about making sure a board is overclockable before you buy it? is just buying it from a certain manufacturer enough? or is it better to just to buy the bios separately?

also, what are the standard features that I should make sure to get? System clock, multiplier, and ram control for sure, but what about voltage control and bus dividers for controlling pci/agp/pcie speeds?

The last motherboard I bought was from ECS and it only had clock and clock:dram ratio control. do a lot of motherboards manage pci speed and voltage on their own? i was able to crank the clock up pretty high on that box without my pci cards malfunctioning and the processor must have been getting more voltage somehow.

Last edited:
any recent motherboard from the main manufacturers out there (abit, gigabyte, asus) will have a plethora of BIOS options, more than enough for even the serious overclocker. also, I don't think you can buy the bios separately?

system clock is controlled by multiplier and FSB speed, so that won't be a BIOS setting. multiplier control, fsb speed, fsb:dram divider, cpu voltage/vcore, memory voltage/vdimm, northbridge voltage, southbridge voltage, PCIe bus frequency, etc etc, ALL of those are found in pretty much any BIOS nowadays

Back