• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing RAM for X99-E WS with i7-6850K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desertsweeper

Registered
So I pulled the trigger on an ASUS x99-E-10G WS board along with an i7-6850K and a Corsair H115i Cooler. And now I need RAM. I don't game at all - this is for my work so I am going to use a mild overclock to say 4Ghz or whatever is absolutely stable. I need 32GB of RAM but would happily throw 64Gb in there. I run several VM's at all times, and many monitoring apps. I want a stable, high-performing rig. Price is not overly important to me - reliability is key. I have scoured this forum but most of the threads that relate to my build are from 2014 and it seems the memory landscape has changed since then. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated?

Any compatible ddr4 are going to work just fine quite honestly. A good mix of speed and performance for that platform...id look for 4x8gb or 8x8gb ddr4 3400/3600mhz cl15/16 and call it a day.

I use gskill trident z.

I found Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit on Amazon for $308
Will that do the trick?
The G.Skill part number you mention is not available on Amazon

Many thanks EarthDog, just curious about one thing. They list this product in different speeds with different latencies. And the higher the speed the worse the latency but also the higher the cost. Is it not all the same thing - performance wise?
So for example the 3200Mhz kit is C16 and costs $308 while 2133Mhz kit is C13 and costs $270
what am I gaining by going with the higher frequency, and more expensive kit, when it has worse latency?

Its the same thing performance wise for all intwnts and purposes. On in specific situations does ram speed help much of anything... iGPU, Ryzen, and some applications. But with intel cpus and gaming, or normal use... not much. Id still get the 3200mhz though. :)

Back