• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing the best GPU for a Custom Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thunderecho100

I currently have an "ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 980TI Overclocked" and I am looking to do a custom water loop in the next year.

I am trying to decide if I want to spend the $100 plus for the EK waterblock and then have to take apart my very expensive graphics card or if I should just sell it and buy a 980ti with the waterblock already built in.

I have been looking a the Poseidon,Hydro copper, and Arctic Storm.

Are these cards largely just the same / reference cards with a block thrown on? In other words I am assuming none of them are OC from the factory and should be pretty much comparable besides the water block.

Also are there other pre waterblocked 980TIs that I am missing? I didnt see one from MSI or Gigabyte other than AIO.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

The choice is going to be on you but I look at it this way. You paid X amount for the 980ti if you try and sell it, unless you can get within $100 of what you paid for it, it doesn't make sense to sell it and buy one with a block on it. The other option is to just water cool the Cpu and leave the Gpu on Air. Unless you're overclocking for benching in most cases you're not going to "need" to water cool the Gpu. If you're doing it for aesthetics if it were me, I'd buy a Gpu block and just water cool the card you have.

The choice is going to be on you but I look at it this way. You paid X amount for the 980ti if you try and sell it, unless you can get within $100 of what you paid for it, it doesn't make sense to sell it and buy one with a block on it. The other option is to just water cool the Cpu and leave the Gpu on Air. Unless you're overclocking for benching in most cases you're not going to "need" to water cool the Gpu. If you're doing it for aesthetics if it were me, I'd buy a Gpu block and just water cool the card you have.
Agreed.

Putting a waterblock on is not rocket science. I would get one on what you have instead of going through the hassle of selling the card and losing money.

Like others said, you're going to lose at least $100 selling your current card, and buying the new one will probably be more expensive than what your current card costs. Could be a $200 swing.

I think I saw that evga does make both a all in one card and a card with a water block on it. It's not cheap though.

If it were me I would just buy a block for your current card. It's not any more complicated that installing a cpu block, just more screws to get the gpu exposed.

Buy the block for it, it is easier to install a waterblock onto a GPU than to install most AIR CPU coolers. Most blocks come with a manual aswell.

It really is simple. If you were cautious like I was the first time, I watched videos on the tube on how to do these installations to ease my nerves and it did just that. It's not brain surgery.

Back