• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chrome paint??????????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sigh,
around and around we go.

Again,
this is a thread about chrome paint not about chrome. If you want to start a debate thread "Chrome vs. Alclad2 paint" then so be it.

as posted by the thread topics starter in the his second post:
"I am not trying to make it look EXACTLY like real chrome... as I know there is no duplicating that with a spray can. Just want a chromy effect. So is it doable? Thanks"

vonkaar,
you seem to be taking this rather personally and then retort by talking down about a paint that is a quality product while knocking my own work with it and that I do take personally.

Alclad2 chrome is a paint.
It will give a reflective mirror'y surface to most any smooth surface short of said surface being a couch or the carpet below your feet or the neighbors cat...
Its all about the prep work, again, as is any painting work.
vonkaar, no offense but if you have seen a shop that gets paid to use Alclad2 chrome and cant get a reflective surface with it, that shop shouldn't be using it or the shop needs someone who knows a little more about the prep work or maybe the correct surface paint hasn't been applied. I use regular old Krylon high gloss black spray paint from the Home Depot near my house as a surface coat.

"Alclad2 is as close to chrome as you will get short of being actual chrome"
I also said that in my second post which also baffles me as to why we are still having this discussion.

"I have never said that Alclad looks like crap"
But that's what you have been insinuating even after you have seen my work with Alclad2 which, again, is why I take this a little personally.

If you did not intend to knock my work in the pictures above, then I apologize for taking offense to your comments.

I have posted what info I can to help those in search of a chrome paint that is as close to real chrome as possible that they can get cheaply and do at home.
If someone wants real chrome, spend the money and send the part to a shop.

wow.... I read most of your posts... well almost :D theres not much point in arguing about this Alcad2 seems to look awsome and be rather cost effective which is the reason this thread was made :D so arguing the merits of something that costs alot more but looks better is kinda off topic. If I buy a diamond it will look great but if I cheap out and get a cubic zirconia I'm still getting something that looks good enough for my budget :D

Sigh... this is getting silly. Of every piece I've ever seen done in Alclad, yours is the best... easily. I said that earlier but it didn't come out that way...

Cliff notes:

My original statements were on 'actual' chrome. I was asking about his budget in hopes that I could offer a cheap alternative to Krylon chrome or something stupid. There *are* $29 chroming kits that can have amazing results. People asked about various chroming techniques and I answered to the best of my ability. You then asked why anyone would go to the trouble of getting a 'real' chrome finish when they could simply follow your handy guide. I answered with, "because it looks better."

Every discussion past that became relevent to *that* very topic. there was no dialogue between you and me until I made that simple statement. Your *next* post basically inferred that you think Alclad is better looking, or at least 'as good.' Aaaand... 10 posts later you are back saying that you basically accept the fact that chrome is superior, however 'for the cost' or 'in a can' Alclad can't be beaten. While that may be applicable to the original post, it doesn't defeat my simple opinion stated as, "Because it looks better."

And... by the way... Your assumption that I've never seen any actual Alclad in person is just as insulting as my possibly not falling over in awe of your paintjob ^_^. As a matter of fact, I was more impressed with your Terminator arm than ANY sample of Alclad. I never said anything negative about your work, I just said that I'm still not 'won over' in the 'fake chrome' vs 'real chrome' discussion we were having. I'm not sure why you would find offense in that... none was intended.

In short, we could have avoided all of this fun if you had simply said, "True, it doesn't look quite as good. However, for a paint, it can't be beat!" That's when I would have said, "I agree! Go Alclad go!"

Yay! Happy day!

Steve978 said:
wow.... I read most of your posts... well almost :D theres not much point in arguing about this Alcad2 seems to look awsome and be rather cost effective which is the reason this thread was made :D so arguing the merits of something that costs alot more but looks better is kinda off topic. If I buy a diamond it will look great but if I cheap out and get a cubic zirconia I'm still getting something that looks good enough for my budget :D

Shrug... there was more than one post talking about various electroplating techniques. Questions were asked, answers were given. In the end, it is surely more economical to use a paint than pay for real chrome. But, the question was asked, "why go with Chrome when you can use paint?" I answered, "Because it looks better." And... here we are ^_^.

It appears that everyone agrees that Alclad is a great product and can save you a lot of money if you don't *have* to have the best finish possible. Yay! We are all happy then =p.

Wow, to think i started this thread expecting minimal response. :D Thanks everyone, but if I may just kill this thing right now, that would be great. My question has been answered, and I think we have covered EVERY aspect of chrome and chrome painting. No sense in arguing anymore.

I never said chrome is second best to Alclad2 chrome paint.
You can go back and read my first posts and every post after, I never once condoned real chrome but you seemed to condem Alclad2 chrome paint, thats what made me upset since I work with it, sometimes, on a weekly basis.
Its a matter of online attitude thats all.
The written word is lacking emotion in any form.

I know its hard to believe in Alclad2, like I said, I didnt believe it myself until I first used it.

As far as electroplating looking better than Alclad2, I dont know about that one. I have seen some electroplating that is pretty shoddy, uneven and full of "orange peels" yet being only months or even weeks old.
I have first hand seen items done in Alcad2 after years of use and abuse hold a shine as if it was a day old.
Maybe I am a tad old skool but real chrome is something done on metal and can be polished.

"It appears that everyone agrees that Alclad is a great product and can save you a lot of money if you don't *have* to have the best finish possible"

And thats what this thread was all about.
One thing I think we do agree on is chrome is cool.

alclad.jpg

Ok, I don't see a price on there website. How much is it??? I mean, it looks like I would have to buy SEVERAL bottles to do...say...the inside of a computer case.

One bottle would be enough to cover the inside of a standard ATX case and then some.
Typical cost for a bottle of Alclad2 chrome is about $8.00.
Do a google search for "alclad chrome paint price" and see what you come up with. Never pay more than $10.00 a bottle, I have seen it sell as low as $6.00 and as high as $30.00 a bottle (damn pirce gougers) before so good luck.

I've been thinking, is there any reason why the Rust Oleum Chrome paint wouldn't be working because of prep work? Like, what if it needs to be applied to a glossy surface, like AlClad?

Nope.
Alclad2 is its own monster unlike any other paint on the market.

Spraypaint chrome is just crap, will never be durable and most importantly, it will never give a chrome like finish. I have tried color sanding, polishing, undercoating with gloss paints of numerous colors... I have tried it all with less than par results.

Chrome spraypaint is misleading in the name alone.
It shouldnt be called chrome but instead classified as a simple "metalic".

Prep work with chrome spraypaint will give you a better and smoother finish but still, the paint will mar, dull and look horrid before too long due to the paint itself. Its just no good to work with and will end up an uneven looking silver.

Anyone that reads this I hope they avoid chrome spraypaint at all costs. In the long run you will have to redo the part with another product. If you cant use Alclad2 but are dead set on using store bought spraypaint, use Krylon bright aluminum. Its still a metallic paint and will also rub off a little but its a world of differance in durablity and longevity.

Back