• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning Chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bogie

I have been trying to clean the factory thermal pad off of a dfi chipset, i have tryed articlean, and 70% alcohol, and i am not sure what else i can safely use, i did a serach, but those 2 seem what most use, i am just wondering if there is anything else i can try, thank you

if its hard and crusty i use like a plastic knife to break the stuff off then clean it with 50% isotropyl alcohol

Thank you all for ur help,wouldnt a plastic putty knife scratch the chip? Goof Off. Then the 2 part artic clean. mix the atric cleaner with goof off?

Last edited:
No, the top is plastic. Putty knife, kitchen knife, just be slow and careful. If this is on a mobo inside the case, you should have the mobo on a well lit comfortable surface already..... Out of the case.

Take your time. If it's Tpaste it could be very hard and almost like glue.

No, I didn't say mix them. The first part of Artic clean is a pretty powerful natural solvent. Goop off is stronger. So if the first part of AC didn't work, move up the food chain.

So scrape, etc, just do it, use the goop off with qtips and let soak on the top, then use qtips to clean it off etc. Then Artic clean it.

It's ahrd to explain from 1000 miles. Maybe a few properly sized GOOD pics would be nice.

Thank you, i called n can get some 99% alcohol, so i be getting that the 1st of the week, also was wondering what about a hair dryer, set on low temps and not to close to the motherboard. again thank y'all

Part of this one has, just one corner is like bonded to it, i gonna try what u said to do and will let u know, thank you

Back