• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning monitor with 409??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XprincoX

bargain hunter
Ok i've been kinda debating this with my roomate. He was cleaning his monitor with 409, the window cleaner kind. I'm thinkin theres some pretty strong chemicals in there that could damage the monitor, but he does it all the time. Tho i wouldn't even wanna risk it with my 19" LCD. So what you guys think??

I would NEVER use any chemicals on my screen. I use just a wet paper towel or cloth and then dry it off right away. I only clean my screen maybe once a year. Its simple, don't touch the screen. And if it gets dusty, use a swiffer thingy. ;)

thats what im sayin!! Just use like tissue or a lil wet papertowel. But my roomates all like "it hasn't damaged anything" But im just thinking... yea just wait till its broken b4 u stop using it...

Yep, don't use any form of chemicals on your monitor........I made the mistake of using glass cleaner on my monitor, now there's quite a large scratch due to the anti-glare coating being removed.... :(

There is an additional danger to using commercial glass cleaners or other chemicals... most CRT monitors have a circuit board right under the CRT, and it's not unheard of for these chemicals to run down between the CRT and front bezel and blow the mainboard. Never had someone bring one of these to me for fixing yet, but I've heard of a few cases from fellow techs.

I'll admit I do use Windex on monitors I know don't have an anti-glare layer, but never spray the stuff right on the screen. For my FD Trinitron Dell, a 4:1 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol on a slightly damp cloth is enough if I need to clean stubborn spots off it that won't go away with a light dusting.

Back