• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED CM Hyper 212+ With top fan - Which way should I go about placing the fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DungeonOgre

Registered
Basically, I have a CM Hyper 212+ with the Fan able to go on either side of a heatsink. I only have one fan.

It can either point towards a large, 230mm fan on the top of the case, or towards the PCIE slots (and GTX 580 Video Card).

If I placed the fan facing the 230mm fan, would it make it somewhat useless considering the airflow from the 230mm fan is A- more powerful, and B- likely pushing the air that the 212+ fan is pushing out back towards the heatsink?

My original orientation was having the 212+ fan facing towards the PCIE slots, but I changed the fan to face towards the 230mm top fan. This freed up room near the PCIE slot, made it easier to plug in the fan wire, and keeps it more out of the way. Now I'm considering moving it back.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
You are not explaining yourself clearly. Stop saying where you're facing the fan. Which way do you want the airflow from the heatsink to go? If you have a top mounted exhaust, up is the best.

You are not explaining yourself clearly. Stop saying where you're facing the fan. Which way do you want the airflow from the heatsink to go? If you have a top mounted exhaust, up is the best.

pretty much that...

Also if you have the 230mm fan as an intake then it is incorrect... Top and back of the case should be exhaust and front and bottom should be intake. Otherwise you get a vortex type air movement and all the heat stays in the case.

I never thought about that actually. Based on your post, I realized that the top fan is actually a top mounted exhaust (not blowing inward, as I originally thought). That answers my post perfectly and solves this problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back