• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM Stacker (original) - PSU on the bottom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silencer51

My hands were itching today so I took apart my main rig and cleaned up everything (dusted fans etc.).

I also decided to try placing the PSU on the bottom.

I thought that since hot air travels upwards, 2 80mm fans on the top where the PSU originally was would help more than if they were on the bottom.

Also cable management appeared to be easier with the PSU on the bottom.

Placing the PSU on the bottom also lowered the center of gravity, so the case is harder to tip over now.

I have a question though: my PSU is an OCZ ModXstream with a 12" fan on the bottom.

Initially I thought about placing it with the fan facing upwards, but I was afraid of any screws falling into it.

I know that you 're supposed to install it with the exhaust fan facing downwards, but to tell you the truth the Stacker's grill on the bottom doesn't look like its good for airflow...

I unscrewed it and screwed it back on the outside of the case, giving the exhaust fan some more space to move air.

To those of you with Stackers, where do you place the PSU?

bottom, facing down IIRC.

I took my stacker down when I got the two rocketfish though as the stacker was underutilized and just TOO big for what I was doing.

Stacker was too big and the rocketfish was not???
lol

My rocketfish case is larger on the outside, but does not have the efficent use of space inside the case like the stacker does.

I placed my PSU on the bottom of my stacker with fan facing up. never had a problem with it.

Back