• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM V8 or Corsair H60/70?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mower

Registered
Currently running a CM V8 on a i7920 oc to 3.9 with excellent temps, ~75 under load, ~40 idle.

Switching now to a 4670K which I will oc to ~4-4.5, do you think the V8 will suffice with respect to the haswell's high heat or should I look to water cooling? It would have to be cheap AIO like Corsair H60/70 etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on what your goals are with Haswell. I would imagine the MEH performing v8 would still get a chip to 4.3-4.5Ghz+ depending on the CPU and voltage it needs to get there...

My goal with Haswell will be a modest but respectful stable over clock in the low-to-mid 4 ghz range, depending upon how good a K chip I get int he "lottery". Cheers.

The V8 I have has been soldering well since 2009 but I wonder if its too dated to do the job with Haswell.

Should be fine for those goals. Try it. If you need something else, then get it... but at least make it an H80i. The H50/60 won't cut it.

Because the H50/60 is not much if any better than that V8. THe H80i performs a bit better than the 50/60.

Dont like all that weight of the V8 hanging on my mobo, it just cant be right, switching to liquid.

Dont like all that weight of the V8 hanging on my mobo, it just cant be right, switching to liquid.

Having used (custom) wc and high end air extensively, I personally feel like air might put less strain on the board. The tubing for WC puts weird tension on stuff. That said, there are plenty of people using high end air with no issue. As long as you have the mobo connected to all the standoffs, its ability to flex should be minimal, and without flexing, it will be very hard to break.

People concern about all the weight with high end cooler. My experience with big heatsink no problem with weight at all. As you can see in the picture, I mounted 3 much heavier fan than stock fan. Delta high power fan 5500rpm @252cfm pwm 120 x 38 and 120 x 25 4000rpm 150cfm pwm. Love this combo cooled my 3930K @4.6ghz nicely.

Image1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_cpu 2 2.jpg
    IMG_cpu 2 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:
People concern about all the weight with high end cooler. My experience with big heatsink no problem with weight at all. As you can see in the picture, I mounted 3 much heavier fan than stock fan. Delta high power fan 5500rpm @252cfm pwm 120 x 38 and 120 x 25 4000rpm 150cfm pwm. Love this combo cooled my 3930K @4.6ghz nicely.

With that setup couldn't you get more than 4.6 Ghz out of your 3930K? I have
my i3820 at 3.7 Ghz and my cooling solution is nowhere near as good. What kind of voltages were you running?

With that setup couldn't you get more than 4.6 Ghz out of your 3930K? I have
my i3820 at 3.7 Ghz and my cooling solution is nowhere near as good. What kind of voltages were you running?

4.6Ghz was the sweet spot, maximun Vcore voltage right at 1.352v temp never got pass 73c. I have also run it @ 4.7Ghz at around 1.388v temp is climbing up fast 81c+. At 4.8Ghz my delta fan at maximun 5000rpm+ could not cooled it down. Since then, I decide to go water cooling and happily run at 5.0Ghz. I can't see myself downclock to 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 or 4.9Ghz. The thing is when I was running it less than 5.0Ghz, I 've always tried to tweak it for more. Now I got 5.0Ghz and running 5.0Ghz 24/7 I don't have the nitch or the desire to tweak it any more.

Bottom fan is being restricted by your vid card.

The high power Delta fan, can still whipping some serious airflow. 38 thick @5000+rpm, I do not think there is resriction isssue. 3930k pushing a lot lot of heat at high clock and high voltage. Air cool just ain't going to cut it.

Not if it can't draw air. You can't even stick your finger between that card and the fan. Not to mention, you're drawing heat right off the back of the card.

Not if it can't draw air. You can't even stick your finger between that card and the fan. Not to mention, you're drawing heat right off the back of the card.

There just about 1/2 inch gap between video card and fan. True, it will suck the warm air out of the video card and pushing it thru the heatsink. I felt this combo is good 4.6-4.7ghz. For a 6 cores running 4.8ghz+ you really want to go water cooled to get good temp. I had the heatsink configured this way because I can not rotate it toward the rear of the tower because the heatsink would not cleared the GS Skill memroy sticks.

Last edited:
Had a V8 once on i7 920, its a great looking cooler but not very functional, fan sits in the middle behind shroud and can be a pain to clean, plus it doesn't cool all that well I'd say on par with mid range air coolers.
My H80 keeps 3820 @ 4.7GHz 1.37V ~70C in prime95.

@BruceUSA
Whats size your pagefile set to with 64 gigs of ram?

I don't understand what your asking. If you mean the settings and voltage of the ram? I leave the ram stock and auto. I tried to run it at 2133mhz but causing my computer not running stable. I read an articcle somewhere, said that X79 platform, if your filling up all 8 dimm memory slot can cause overclocking problem in regards to memroy speed and stabilty. I will probably try to run it at 2133mhz agian and more testing is needed.

Back