• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cmos checksum bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuda'71

Having a "little" problem and i am lookin for advice.

My system : mobo-msi p6n sli plat (650i)
cpu- e6600 @3.4 g
vid card - 8800 gts 640
ram- 4x1g ddr2 800 (gskill)
psu- p&c 610w (49a 12v rail 670 peak watts)
rom-asus dvd rw
HD- 150gb 10k rpm western digital
case- antec 900 (4 case fans)
This is a 2yr old build and have had no problems so far.

I installed an msi gtx 260 oc2(655mhz) card and attatched it to a new acer 23' monitor. I installed the newest drivers and rebooted...everything works...so i go through a couple games @45 mins with no issues.

I then start surfing around for a good hd wallpaper....which i set as my background. The pic is a nasa mars rover with a black border and a nasa logo.

I go into photoshop to crop it out...and as i am doing so my screen freezes and presents a lot of blue artifacts on the screen.

I power down and try to reboot, but it wont reboot. The lights come on and the fans spin and the HD will briefly spin but no dice.

I then take out the 260 and re-install my 8800. I get booted up and am greeted with a cmos checksum bad error. I load default settings and i am on my way.

I dont think it is my cmos battery..i can unplug the psu and boot up just fine afterwards...other times (without a cmos reset) i will get another cmos checksum bad error after rebooting.

I flashed my bios and updated all chipset drivers

My psu should be plenty to power my system and all of the volts are correctly reporting.

If the 260 died would it cause this type of error?

Back