• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coca cola in the wc system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
-maddog- said:
and that sugar will destroy your pump and cause clogs.

thats what I was thinking soon as I started reading this thread. the poor pump would have coke sugars and gunk to deal with

the carbonation would hurt the temps also wouldnt it? instead of the heat coming off the cpu into the water block and into the water it would be going into the coke which would have a large amount of carbonation and crap that wouldnt take the heat on as well as the liquid.... id think anyway.

this might be fun to just do to say you did it (cant help but think of the people who were using toothpaste as t.i.m) but in the end i wouldnt want to run this way for 24/7 use and id think the negative aspects of the coke in the lines would far outweigh the ability to reply to someone with "actually thats coca cola cooling my cpu"

Might I add, when you start bleeding fresh Coke, it will develop foam and cause pressure in the loop.

-GearShift3r

custom90gt said:
So coke is acidic then why does it neutralize battery acid?

*on edit* I haven't actually tried coke to neutralize an acid, but I've heard it numerous times so I figured it was true.
I dont think its battery acid that it neutralizes.. it just cleans corroed battery contacts. the reaction of the battery acid with the metal.. I guess :shrug:

Also, would a normal pump even 'pla well' with coke running through it? Also remember its not like we are dunking a waterblock into coke. We are forcing coke through it with a pump. Would be like sand blasting on a much smaller scale, but using an acid instead of sand...bad idea.

yeah id go with water dyed brownish....i mean even if you say its coke i highly doubt anyone would know...

Unless they wanted to taste it....then they're just wierd

hell thinking about it I wouldnt think that saying coke would really impress anyone who would be impressed with watercooling in the first place. you might just have them say something like " why use coke instead of a antifreeze/water mix that would be more efficient and get you better results"

thats my train of thought though ive always been for better performance and less for the looks of things

Just think: pure distilled H2O will develop growth, will become ionized(galvalic corrosion and other nasties), will kill any live component it leaks on. Cola has sugar which will become a real breading grown for all kind of growth and remember what sugar+heat=caramel. Cola has a lot more ions and will be more conductive. Most of us are afraid just to use tap water because it's too contaminated,cola ain't better...besides I'd be afraid to get a deposit in my block and degrade performence enough to cause overheating...

yeah unless its someone like new into computers theyd be all over the watercooling
but if it was someone more into it....they would be as rawkr said.."Wtf are you using coke for."

Tekko said:
Most of us are afraid just to use tap water because it's too contaminated

man people use tap water?! I always have a couple gallons of distilled laying about. its to cheap to not just get a gallon of purified water and even then i always add some antifreeze with the biocide crap into it so i dont feel compelled to clean my loop out once a month. Id think the tap water would cloud up after a week or two and start taking away from the efficency as it started caking the inside of the waterblock and pumps impeller.

Coke = Terrible idea

If you've ever had to change containers for a fountain drink dispensor, you know how sticky and ****ty soft drink syrup gets after the water evaporates. Now ask yourself... do you *really* want to put that crap in your watercooling setup? Do you *really* want to put in in your body?

Bump :-/

well well let's get started and talk about diet coke then?
well i dunno how it will affect the corossion? and the sugar+heat=caramel problem is solved :D :clap:

diet coke is pretty much the same thing, just different ingredients. I still stick by my idea of putting brown-colored water. nobody will know the difference.

Janus67 said:
diet coke is pretty much the same thing, just different ingredients. I still stick by my idea of putting brown-colored water. nobody will know the difference.

How to fake the bubbles ;)

You should put guinnes in it...will make the bubbles go rock bottom :clap:

I really think you should use Pepsi instead, or maybe Dr. Pepper.

Of course, just think, instead of having to just drain your loop, you could just drink it. After all, you wouldn't have to worry about anything growing in it...

Sjaak said:
How to fake the bubbles ;)

You should put guinnes in it...will make the bubbles go rock bottom :clap:
at the beginning though he said he would have to let it get flat first.

Tekko said:
Just think: pure distilled H2O will develop growth, will become ionized(galvalic corrosion and other nasties), will kill any live component it leaks on. Cola has sugar which will become a real breading grown for all kind of growth and remember what sugar+heat=caramel. Cola has a lot more ions and will be more conductive. Most of us are afraid just to use tap water because it's too contaminated,cola ain't better...besides I'd be afraid to get a deposit in my block and degrade performence enough to cause overheating...

No way would the heat from your cpu be hot enough to turn sugar into caramel. Caramel is the last thing sugar turns into before burning btw.

Not using tap water has nothing to do with contamination, and everything to do with ions conducting electricity if your rig happens to get a leak.

But yes, the biggest reason you don't use coke is becase of the sugar build up that will happen in a relatively short amount of time.

Janus67 said:

Diet soda causes cancer; stay away from artificial sugars and sweetners.

Back