• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Code 34 memory initialization error (Solved)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I have, or probably had, a Rampage IV black. After I installed the phase change, I was getting the code 34 error. It doesn't look like any pins are bent, but it's kind of hard to tell looking at that many pins.

I took it out and installed a cheap Intel type cooler, old memory, an old Radeon I have with a 500w OCZ PSU and I get the same thing.

Could anything else but the CPU or socket cause this error? I'm going to throw the 4930 into my Rampage IV board that has a 3930 in it and see if the CPU is still good. I have to update the BIOS first. Even if the CPU is toast, it shouldn't hurt my other board should it?

This is all new to me. I never lose any parts due to my fault. I used too much eraser I think. No more removing the socket hold down and using eraser under it. I think that's probably what did it.

Last edited:
My guess would be a pin got bent. Have you tried ram in all the various slots?

I tried it in my Rampage IV Extreme that currently has a 3930 in it and it still errors out at 34 on that board too. I upgraded to the latest BIOS first. I think Ivy Bridge support was added three versions before the newest BIOS. I'm working with Intel on an RMA. What stinks is that I missed my return period to Amazon by only 11 days.

This is just plain BS. Like I said yesterday, I tried the 4930 in the PC I am using right now with my 3930 and the same 27" Viewsonic monitor connected via HDMI that I have used for years. I got nothing on the monitor, nothing if I hit DEL or F1. It was the same code 34 error. After what Coyote said, and trolling the net, I went out and got an 89.00 monitor with DVI. I plug it in and voila.

11j2f43.jpg
[/IMG]

The temps suck because I only used an Intel like cooler, but the CPU and mobo work.

30a4dqa.jpg
[/IMG]

What really sucks is the board was all insulated for phase and the watercooling all setup for the 780 TI's. I ripped it all apart. Why is it that taking it apart takes a third of the time to build it?

I wasn't giving up. I had a huge magnifying glass looking for bent pins and nothing.

Thanks Coyote

Now my phase change works thanks to a new controller and the motherboard and CPU work. I get to start all over again. Yippee!

Last edited:
Exactly why my first question was if you were using a HDMI setup. I've seen this issue a few times before with that same 34 post code.

This is just plain BS. Like I said yesterday, I tried the 4930 in the PC I am using right now with my 3930 and the same 27" Viewsonic monitor connected via HDMI that I have used for years. I got nothing on the monitor, nothing if I hit DEL or F1. It was the same code 34 error. After what Coyote said, and trolling the net, I went out and got an 89.00 monitor with DVI. I plug it in and voila.

I can't recall a problem resembling any of that, even when turning off my monitor. Sounded more like you bumped a RAM stick.

When my RAM isn't seated properly, my 775 motherboards will play dead and not even bleep, (Symptom resembling crushed processor die!) which, ironically, the BIOS on older boards were more likely to give a bleep code.

Back