• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

compression fitting newbie question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sgt panties

I started liquid cooling back in the early 90's when we used copper pipe caps brazed to copper plate for our block, and standard brass barb fittings from Lowes to connect everything (and we liked it, dammit!).

Anyway, I have a real Swiftech block now and find myself graduating from the barbed fittings to the compression type for soft tube. My big question is, when tightening (or loosening for that matter) a compression fitting, how do you get a good grip on the narrower side? Both the thick ring and narrow ring are normally knurled, but I can seldom get a good grip on the narrow ring. If the fitting has a pretty anodized finish and I try to use some needle nose plyers I'm sure I'm going to ruin the finish.

What I need are some soft-jaw very narrow channel lock plyers. I've looked everywhere online for such a thing and can't find it... unless there's some trick I'm missing. How do you experts do it?

You don't need tools because you only need to tighten them by hand. I use nitrile gloves so i get a better grip and keep my finger's skin intact.

What brand of fittings? I've only used Bitspower, and they seemed to have enough knurled space on the base fitting for me to grip. It did require some effort, but it was not impossible and I did not need to use tools. If I did need tools I would simply take some rubber (like from a bicycle tire inner tube or fat rubber band that you get around veggies like asparagus) and wrap the ends of regular needle nose pliers.

I used xspc initially then tried ek(even worse). The easiest to bottom out were bitspower 90s with the big ends but only a little easier than the others. I never bothered with reg bp compression fittings. They were all 1/2in x 3/4in. Ive since switched to 14mm hardline and they are waaay easier to bottom out. I can tighten the byski fittings i have with gloves alone.
Innertube sounds like it would work well tho. I tried one of those round rubber discs that help with jar and bottle opening but it just tore to easily.

Well being single for about 8 years now I have no problem tightening them. But then again I can tight lug nuts on a gar by hand.

Back