• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer boot looping, shows bios for a second then restarts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm... he would have to had changed the BIOS option to IDE as these boards all default (including yours/Z97) to AHCI. Prior to the system going down though, it worked fine.

Stranger things have happened1

What about the possibility of the water cooling system having gone bad? Water not circulating. Get's hot and exceeds the thermal shutdown temp of the CPU after a few seconds.

This build is my only build with a 6th Gen Intel CPU. I hardly think it's the bios options because it just crapped out on me in the middle of my game, then wouldn't boot after. I haven't been in my bios in a few weeks, and I used my computer every day after that (no life). Going to call gigabyte in an hour or two, and I'll update you guys once that's done. I really appreciate you guys' help through all of this. You're amazing!

What about the possibility of the water cooling system having gone bad? Water not circulating. Get's hot and exceeds the thermal shutdown temp of the CPU after a few seconds.

I highly doubt that, because when turning on my PC after many hours of being off, I can hear the water cycle for the first few times before it goes silent. I felt the waterblock, and it was a bit warm, like it always is. Also, the logo goes red if it's too hot, which it stayed white for me, as it should.

Okay, just throwing out some ideas.

Have you tried removing the video card and going with the IGP?

Yeah, I removed the card, still nothing. However, some good news: I called Gigabyte and they confirmed the problem with the motherboard. They said to call Newegg (where I bought it) and they're going to replace it for me. I'll update you all when it comes back. Thanks again for all the support ;)

Keep us posted.

Do you have a backup system to use in the meantime?

Keep us posted.

Do you have a backup system to use in the meantime?

I still have my old motherboard, cpu, and ram (thankfully), and I'm using that in the meantime.

One more question. There's no chance it could be the CPU, right? I've never overclocked it (besides the OC button on the motherboard itself). It always stays cool. I'd think that if it were the CPU, the system wouldn't boot or the bios wouldn't work. The fact that I see the temp of my cpu should tell me it is working, but I'm just making sure. Also, in my experience, only one of the RAM sticks go bad. I've tried both of them as single channel, nothing changed. I'm just making sure of this because I'm sending back the motherboard to Newegg tomorrow.

I'm reasonably certain at this point after exploring all the other possibilities it's the motherboard.

Will wait for RMA refusal due to damaged pins.
Hope you took before pics brah.

Will wait for RMA refusal due to damaged pins.
Hope you took before pics brah.

I didn't take any pictures of it (facepalm), however I made sure to put the protector on the socket before i did anything else with it. Since I bought it on newegg, I'm pretty sure all they do is make sure everything is there, then they send me a new one, while sending the old one out to Gigabyte. Then newegg would sell my old board a refurbished once gigabyte fixes it. That's just my theory. I have a very good rep on newegg (Spent $2000+, had no issues before this), and I made sure to take a look at the socket before packaging it all back up. We'll just wait and see how this goes, and I'll keep you all up to date.

Isnt it past the 30 day exchange period?
You made a thread on june 23rd with the same hardware.

I was wondering why(how) it was going back to newegg... I was under the impression after 30 days it goes to the MFG.

Isnt it past the 30 day exchange period?
You made a thread on june 23rd with the same hardware.

I guess maybe Gigabyte worked that out with his Egg rep. For his sake I hope that is the case.

How would Giga talk to "his" newegg rep? Are you saying that Giga has something already setup with newegg past their typical 30 day return policy?

it boots for about 10 seconds, then bluescreens with the same error "irql_not_less_or_equal". Now, I'm thinking it's a problem with the motherboard. Any advice? Thanks.

Clear the CMOS. That's a known (to me) CPU instability code, if it's "0x0000000A" or "0xA". Looks like the CPU is too unstable to even get halfway into the Windows installation routine! But, why?

Last edited:
How would Giga talk to "his" newegg rep? Are you saying that Giga has something already setup with newegg past their typical 30 day return policy?

I was referring to post #23. I took that to mean that Gigabyte had communicated with NewEgg and NewEgg had authorized the return. I have no doubts that the major motherboard manufacturers' reps have a working relationship with major vendors like NewEgg.

It could also be that since the problems with this board began previous to the expiration of the 30 day Egg return window his return qualified, especially if he can document that with his posts on this forum or contact with the manufacturer.

I didn't take that away from post #23...and doubt that would happen anyway. There isn't a back and forth with Giga and newegg outside of whatever they setup to begin with. It is previously established what is to be done on each party. Anything else is at the discretion of the company. But I do not believe they made contact about this specific case (any specific case, honestly).

I wish we lived in a world where they would go back because the problem started before the warranty... :rofl:... not in mine though.

Back