• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer boot looping, shows bios for a second then restarts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys. I got an update for all who have helped me with this. I sent the motherboard back to newegg for a replacement, and they sent me a brand new one. Knowing my luck, didn't fix it though -.- I went to bestbuy to buy some new DDR4 ram to test to see if it was the ram. I didn't plan on keeping it, because bestbuy has 10 day returns. It wasn't the ram though. And here we are, the conclusion I didn't want to have to face. At this point it HAS to be the CPU because with my old mobo, cpu, and ram combo it worked fine, which rules out hard drives, case, dvd drive (lol), power supply which I just replaced, and my watercooler. And I know it isn't the motherboard or RAM, it has to be the CPU. If it isn't, my computer is cursed and there will be an official giveaway of my computer to the first victim who wants it. Anyways, I contacted Intel for a replacement, and I'm sending it out tomorrow. Here's where I start to worry. They said that if I overclocked my CPU then they would know and they would send me my old CPU back. I haven't overclocked, but a few times I hit that OC button on my motherboard when it was on, which didn't seem to do anything besides light up. Then when I went to restart, the backlight on the button was off like it had always been. I don't know if it overclocked or switched on the "I have been overclocked" thing in the CPU. I really hope it didn't, because if so I'm out $315.

Also, I have no friends who have 6th gen hardware to help me with this for those who were asking.

I don't see how Intel would know if you had overclocked it unless that had been done to the point of frying the chip. That sounds like a bluff.

Bah, even I the chip is fried, they replace without asking a question...

Heck, I even sent oem cpu (1 year warranty) after a couple of years. I just "forgot" to mention it was oem and overclocked!

:p

Ok thanks, well you both just relieved me for the most part :) I'll post another update when I get the CPU. Had to buy two more tubes of thermal paste because I am switching out my motherboards so much

You should only use a pea-sized blob of thermal paste placed in the middle of the CPU top. Don't try to spread it. Just lower the cooler and secure it in place. The clamping pressure will spread the TIM evenly. By one big tube instead of two small ones. You can get lager tubes on ebay or NewEgg that will last awhile and be more economical.

Last update for you all. It turns out it was my CPU which was causing the problem somehow. Intel shipped me a brand new one and it did the trick. Hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks to all who helped!

Back