• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos Snake

I have a friend that has asked for my help in putting a computer together for him. What he is going to be using it for is sound editing, lots of sound editing, and only for sound editing (he runs a band and wants to use it for recording and editing his music :attn: ). I ahve fallen out of the loop on whos got the best gear on the markert right now, thats why I'm asking for your help. I was told that I'll have a 1-2k budget to work with, but the lower the better cause everyone likes to save a bit of cash. The things that I wa told were a must; he want to use a Intel based processor, at least one gig of RAM, at least a 17' LCD monitor, and he already got the sound card and sound capure devices that he wants to use (PCI slots). It will never hit the net and won't overclock, he just needs a fast powerfull rock stable machine. Any help would be great, thanks.

Wow lots of cash to spend on a machine that doesn't need to be too powerful.

He can save a crapload if he goes with AMD and get the same performance.... but if he really wants Intel I would suggest a 2.4C, whatever the popular Intel simi value mobo is.. simple CD burner and 1 larger HDD.

Most of your cash will go into the monitor and RAM.... i'll post more later when i'm not falling asleep...

With that budget ($1-2K), he can aim a lot higher than a 2.4C, and still have cash left over.

I'd think 3.2EE or something in the Opteron family myself. The crux is, go that high, and get into PCI Express now, or build something plenty strong enough for this application today (S478) for less money, but with possibly a limited upgrade path tomorrow...

Something of a tough call, but definitely something to consider... It might not be a bad thing given the application, to allow for the upgrade to a 64 bit OS in the future. ;)

Last edited:
Back