• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer build - I need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One not worth it likely... That would be a small SSD as far as capacity goes. If you are lucky, 128GB, which allows and OS and maybe two/three games.

If this is a gaming machine, your focus should really be on the GPU, not the SSD. If you want a solid gaming rig and an worthwhile SSD (capacity wise) you will raise your budget. Throwing in a monitor with that same budget kills things a bit..

You would be better off just sticking with the HDD like e_d says with the budget you wouldn't get a very big SSD at all.

Here is a similar build with a better GPU (GTX 760)

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/X4tkcf

I would personally consider the 760 to be the minimum "acceptable" video card out there right now for 1080P. Anything below it will not have good enough performance for my personal preferences. It will play most games on high settings at 1080P with some AA and AF, whereas with the 750Ti you would have to probably turn AA and AF off, or even go with lower settings.

Also, I would suggest that you overclock that CPU. It will make a difference and give you higher framerates. Here is the build with a decent CPU cooler included that should get you to 4.4 or 4.5Ghz

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/Vjjv6h

You really do need to overclock with FX cpus to get decent performance as their IPC is very low compared to Intel chips.

I'd get the CPU/MoBo/GPU used from Ebay or some classified.

You can get a decent i5+MoBo combo (3570k+z77 mid range motherboard) for €200 and a 280x for €120.

Still a powerful config for 1080p gaming. Sure, not all games will be maxed out, but a lot will be with some sacrifice on anti aliasing.

You can get a decent i5+MoBo combo (3570k+z77 mid range motherboard) for €200 and a 280x for €120.

Still a powerful config for 1080p gaming. Sure, not all games will be maxed out, but a lot will be with some sacrifice on anti aliasing.

Agreed. If the OP is ok with used you can always buy last gen's high end for the price of current gen's mid range.

Here is a similar build with a better GPU (GTX 760)

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/X4tkcf

I would personally consider the 760 to be the minimum "acceptable" video card out there right now for 1080P. Anything below it will not have good enough performance for my personal preferences. It will play most games on high settings at 1080P with some AA and AF, whereas with the 750Ti you would have to probably turn AA and AF off, or even go with lower settings.

Also, I would suggest that you overclock that CPU. It will make a difference and give you higher framerates. Here is the build with a decent CPU cooler included that should get you to 4.4 or 4.5Ghz

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/Vjjv6h

You really do need to overclock with FX cpus to get decent performance as their IPC is very low compared to Intel chips.

Hey thanks. I will stick with your build i guess.do u think that 500W PSU is ok? Also is it possible to make a SLi with GTX760 later ? And why u choosed Zotac? Is it ok if i get the gigabyte release?

Hey thanks for the answer ! Actually i had Intel my entire life and i am thinking to buy AMD for long time, just for a little change and see how it goes. If you think u can make a much better build with used one then i will be glad to see it. :)

You plan on building a gaming pc, And doesn't go well for this...

Have a look at eBay and classified. Check also this French site(leboncoin.fr). Very good deals on CPU's and MoBo. I got a 3770k one year ago for €150.

I'd go with:

- 3570k, €150max (boxed CPU's have a 3 years manufacturer's warranty).
- Z77 motherboard (asrock pro3/4, extreme 3/4) €50/60
- amd 7970/280x (preferably voltage unlocked) €130 max. If you can find one still under warranty, by S/Not, that's even better
- 2*4gb of ddr3, 1600MHz/CL8 or better (usually lifetime warranty or 10 years minimum) €50 max

That's €380/400

To buy new:
- PSU, 600W quality one (Corsair CX600M, BeQuiet pure power 550w, EVGA SuperNova...)
€50
- SSD 250gb €100 (Samsung EVO)
- HDD 1TB €70
- Whatever case you like for €40/60

That's +/- €650/700

You plan on building a gaming pc, And doesn't go well for this...

Have a look at eBay and classified. Check also this French site(leboncoin.fr). Very good deals on CPU's and MoBo. I got a 3770k one year ago for €150.

I'd go with:

- 3570k, €150max (boxed CPU's have a 3 years manufacturer's warranty).
- Z77 motherboard (asrock pro3/4, extreme 3/4) €50/60
- amd 7970/280x (preferably voltage unlocked) €130 max. If you can find one still under warranty, by S/Not, that's even better
- 2*4gb of ddr3, 1600MHz/CL8 or better (usually lifetime warranty or 10 years minimum) €50 max

That's €380/400

To buy new:
- PSU, 600W quality one (Corsair CX600M, BeQuiet pure power 550w, EVGA SuperNova...)
€50
- SSD 250gb €100 (Samsung EVO)
- HDD 1TB €70
- Whatever case you like for €40/60

That's +/- €650/700

I rarely disagree with my fellow Pink Team brother, and this is no exception. If you want the best bang for your buck, then follow his advice. Otherwise...

Hey thanks. I will stick with your build i guess.do u think that 500W PSU is ok? Also is it possible to make a SLi with GTX760 later ? And why u choosed Zotac? Is it ok if i get the gigabyte release?

500W is ok for any single GPU. It is possible to SLI with another 760 later on but you will need a higher wattage PSU for this. Why did I choose Zotac? It was the cheapest one. That's pretty much it. You can get any card you want. Gigabyte, Asus, MSi, Zotac, Galax, PNY, doesn't make much difference in terms of stock operation. When you go to overclock the various aftermarket cooling solutions will make a difference. The better the power delivery section and the better the cooler the better the overclocking potential. But GPUs are just like CPUs. Sometimes you lose the silicon lottery and even the great aftermarket card you get won't overclock very well. I'm not familiar with any 760 where the GPU is "binned" or "cherry picked" for optimum overclocking performance. Basiclally, grab a cheap one. It's all you need.

Having said that, Manu 2b's suggestion is a good suggestion. Getting the CPU and board used will really save you a ton of money, and an R9 280X (better yet an R9 290 if you can get it cheap) is much better than a GTX 760, and those cards have 1 and 2GB more VRAM than the 760, respectively.

Previously enjoyed hardware=cheaper=higher performance for less money. I agree with Manu2b about getting certain parts new like the power supply.

It's your choice, either way you will have a half decent gaming experience.

I rarely disagree with my fellow Pink Team brother, and this is no exception. If you want the best bang for your buck, then follow his advice. Otherwise...

500W is ok for any single GPU. It is possible to SLI with another 760 later on but you will need a higher wattage PSU for this. Why did I choose Zotac? It was the cheapest one. That's pretty much it. You can get any card you want. Gigabyte, Asus, MSi, Zotac, Galax, PNY, doesn't make much difference in terms of stock operation. When you go to overclock the various aftermarket cooling solutions will make a difference. The better the power delivery section and the better the cooler the better the overclocking potential. But GPUs are just like CPUs. Sometimes you lose the silicon lottery and even the great aftermarket card you get won't overclock very well. I'm not familiar with any 760 where the GPU is "binned" or "cherry picked" for optimum overclocking performance. Basiclally, grab a cheap one. It's all you need.

Having said that, Manu 2b's suggestion is a good suggestion. Getting the CPU and board used will really save you a ton of money, and an R9 280X (better yet an R9 290 if you can get it cheap) is much better than a GTX 760, and those cards have 1 and 2GB more VRAM than the 760, respectively.

Previously enjoyed hardware=cheaper=higher performance for less money. I agree with Manu2b about getting certain parts new like the power supply.

It's your choice, either way you will have a half decent gaming experience.

Thanks a lot for the reply i will have a look for used combo of cpu motherboard and gpu.

Thanks a lot for the reply i will have a look for used combo of cpu motherboard and gpu.

You will be well served by a 3570K, a decent Z77 board, and an R9 280X or R9 290. The 290 is significantly faster than the 280X and the 280X is significanly faster than the 760.

Avoid ECS, Biostar (sometimes good but often not. Best avoided) and EVGA motherboards is my advice. If you see a used board you want to buy make a post here with the board name and we will let you know if its a good one. You should also pick up a decent heatsink. Used is fine if it's in good condition. Don't buy a used liquid cooler but used air heatsinks are fine. You should be able to pick up a decent cooler for about 30 squid.

I'm helping someone build a computer at 5am and I haven't slept... I'm starting to wonder if I'm a total loser.

well the lower price for R9 290 was 200 euro which is very good . and for R9 280x was 165 euro. The lowest price for 3570K was 152 euro and for motherboard the prices varies with 47E for a gigabyte , 52E for an Asrock and 70E for an Asus.I dont have to mention that all of these are used .

well the lower price for R9 290 was 200 euro which is very good . and for R9 280x was 165 euro. The lowest price for 3570K was 152 euro and for motherboard the prices varies with 47E for a gigabyte , 52E for an Asrock and 70E for an Asus.I dont have to mention that all of these are used .

What specific motherboards are they? Model no's please.

Back