• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer freezing/rebooting when inserting USB devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
Just about 90% of the time when I plug in a USB device (external HD, ipod, etc) my computer will just lock up...can't move mouse, can't even control alt delete...nothing so of course I'm forced to reboot.

I haven't found many solutions except the one Linked Here. So I make the notepad dialog and add it to the registry, but then the second step is to "Unplug ALL usb devices" and proceed to Device Manager to "Uninstall all devices under USB controllers" well both my mouse and keyboard are USB devices, so obviously if I unplug them nothing works, so I just attempt to uninstall what I can and of course eventually it uninstalls the drivers for my mouse and keyboard therefore rendering them useless... I have no idea what to do but this is extremely annoying and I refuse to accept it. I have the latest BIOS on my motherboard

Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB 3
Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
12GB Ram
All "important updates" are installed (windows update) but I know this isn't the problem because I had about 25 to install for months now and never had these USB errors.

Obviously I'd like to avoid doing a clean install of my OS but if that's what I have to do Ill do it.

Once you reboot, it will load default drivers and your keyboard/mouse to work. They come native to the chipset.

You also may want to remove the external links in your signature.. I believe those are against the rules.

also be sure your not full of static electricity when plugging them in, ive had that happen i touched my webcam when i was benching live and zapped it with static and it stopped working until i restarted it.

Okay well the mouse/KB arent an issue? And rebooting does nothing..when I plug in a device my computer freezes or reboots and thats the issue?

I wish it was as simple as static electricity but this issue just popped up in the last two or so weeks

earth dog, you have links in your sig too. friggin hypocrite.

ANY HORSE

check the i/o shield in the back of your computer. make sure those little tabs on the back of the i/o plate are making contact with the ports on your board.

try doing a reinstall of windows. didnt work?

it could be your case...are you using a cheap case? i suggest getting the 50 dollars or more cases off of newegg. at least thats what my friend suggested me when i was building my computer.

or maybe your motherboard is being quirky. check out my suggestions here

earth dog, you have links in your sig too. friggin hypocrite.
They are all internal to THIS site...also senior members are allowed to have an external link. Its in the rules... I also specifically said EXTERNAL links so someone wouldnt make the mistake you did. LOL! That failed.

They are all internal to THIS site...also senior members are allowed to have an external link. Its in the rules... I also specifically said EXTERNAL links so someone wouldnt make the mistake you did. LOL! That failed.

the mis-reading part in my learning disability is flying on streams of rainbow colors in my room right now.

NNNNNOOOOOOO!!! *falls on hands and knees*

it could be your case...are you using a cheap case? i suggest getting the 50 dollars or more cases off of newegg. at least thats what my friend suggested me when i was building my computer.

actually OP you might try taking the motherboard out of the case and see how that works. or unplug the front headers, it could be a grounding issue. i dont think that would be linked to the price of the case though, ive only ever bought 1 case that cost over 40 bucks never had any problems with them.

actually OP you might try taking the motherboard out of the case and see how that works. or unplug the front headers, it could be a grounding issue. i dont think that would be linked to the price of the case though, ive only ever bought 1 case that cost over 40 bucks never had any problems with them.

didnt know that...i had problems with a 20 dollar case so i dont know if maybe 30 is the real limit...arr

Back