• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer No Longer Boots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf4141

Hello

I have a strange problem. I was trying to get the BIOS to turn on my computer every morning at 6:00AM. However, it didn't, so I tried going into the BIOS again. Didn't work again, so I tried updating my BIOS. After updating the BIOS, my computer no longer boots. What happens is, it gets to the startup page. If I hit esc it boots to the secondary screen where it asks me to hit esc again for the BIOS menu. Here, it always freezes. If I don't hit ESC the first time, it freezes on that screen. If I tap numlock over and over I can see my keyboard LED light flash on and off for about 15 seconds the it freezes (always on one of those two screens). Thus, the issue is loading the BIOS or my hardware. I should also mention that after updating my bios I went into the bios after the automatic shutdown(perhaps bad idea), then turned it off. When I turned it back on, the issues started.

I could use some help. I actually have to leave for college and need my computer working before I go back...tomorrow morning. Hopefully you guys are as helpful as they say.

Thanks! :chair:

What motherboard are you using? Also, just on a long shot, have you tried clearing the CMOS since you updated the BIOS?

I should also mention that after updating my bios I went into the bios after the automatic shutdown(perhaps bad idea), then turned it off. When I turned it back on, the issues started.
This scares me. If it was turned off before the boot block and DMI pool were cleared the bios chip is now corrupted. Couple things you can try.
1) Clear the CMOS
2) While powered off hold the insert and delete keys down and try to power up the board. This forces the optimized defaults to be loaded.

Make and model of mobo would be nice. Hopefully it has a backup flash tool.

Link doesn't work. But I see enough to know it's an OEM HP unit.
If the bios is corrupt, you'll not get that back. HP uses their own chip and flashing package. You need to send it to them.

I didn't find a way to recover the BIOS on the desktops, but I did find a way to recover it on the notebooks through the HP support site here. You can try it, or you can try contacting HP directly. They may have some sort of recovery tool that you can download and try. Worst case scenario is what Mr.Scott said, you may have to send it in if it's covered under warranty.

Hmm, the link works for me. Its HP Pavilion Elite HPE-547c Desktop. The mobo is Cleveland Micro-ATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches), Intel H66. I also have a HP pavilion Elite m9426f, not sure if something can be swapped or salvaged because this one has a broken HDD.

EDIT: Also looking into this, http://www.ehow.com/how_7467656_flash-corrupted-bios.html, will this work? Only problem is I cannot seem to find my BIOS for download anywhere.

Last edited:
Well if needed you can pull the hdd out of the HPE-547c and put it in the m9426f, and you may have to re-install the OS but you'll at least have a functional PC for college, assuming you have everything important backed up.

As for that ehow guide, it might work, it might not, depending on how corrupt it is. You can give it a shot. As for the file download, it may have been part of the file you downloaded to update the BIOS the first time around. Do you remember where you got it from?

Got the file. HP offers the drivers for this motherboard and only as .exe so you have to open the .exe and convert the rom file into a .bin. Im assuming the flash drive works (no idea). After hitting esc and getting to the POST screen (which works) I am not able to boot from flash drive it freezes as the POST screen. Must be loading BIOS from motherboard and not flashdrive which means either I dont have the flashdrive right or my computer wont accept it presently.

I do have a laptop for college. This computer is for running a server on. Worst cast scenario I can perhaps get the files from the HDD by using another computer and copy them to my laptop. Hosting a server from my laptop is not ideal but it might be my only choice. Actually this computers HDD sucks. I doubt I can fit a 2TB flash drive in my dvd slot but I know this laptop has that capabillity.

Did you try calling HP for Bios.

Nope I said I found the BIOS. I followed this tutorial only I got the .rom from the inside of the .exe and change the .rom to .bin. http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=15265 Didnt work due to either my computer being too messed up or this tutorial didnt work for my flash drive.

If I must go the replaced HDD route, do I have to do anything with my OS if I'm replacing a HDD with windows 7 with another with windows 7?

Last edited:
Did you try removing the power cord then remove the battery, clear the cmos after that push the power button to clear all the power then revers everything and see if that works.

If that does not work you will need to call HP and see if you can get bios that will install with DOS because the bios on there site needs to be installed in windows.

Wow...most frustrating experiance of my life. I opened up my PC. Doesnt sound like much for you guys but this was my first time. My jaw dropped when I opened it, then a few minutes later I actually started doing things and realizes how easy it is. Anyways, I first tried to take out the battery because I could not located configuration jumpers. So, I was trying to pull out the battery but it wouldn't budge so I moved on to plan B. I removed the HDD from my system after an hour of work and fear of electric discharge. Anyways, I got the HDD out finally and plugged my pc back in without the HDD. Immedietly, I got a message "Default bios settings loaded" and the bios menu worked perfectly fine......GRRRRRRR. Its 2:00AM and I have to get up at 5:00AM to leave for college so obviously I dont have enough time to put the HDD back in and resetup my server. And the computer doesn't work because it has no HDD. My theory is this computer doesnt allow you to take out the battery but the pushpin Iw as trying to release it with disconnected it everytime I pressed it. Either way, GRRRR.

Just wondering, my HDD couldn't be the problem? I mean it crashed on the BIOS everytime. And this happened immedietly after messing with the bios settings and updating it. Better not be the HDD....

Back