• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not sleeping properly, seams like it hibernates instead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

When I use either the sleep button or the UI to initiate sleep, it seams like everything works properly. However, upon awake, the PC powers up, turns off, powers up, turns off, then power up, displays "Resuming Windows" then goes to the log on screen. Because it was due for one, I've actually reformatted, updated the motherboard's BIOS (to v3), and loaded BIOS defaults. Still nothing. When I disabled the hibernation function in Windows, then tried to sleep, it stated that Windows cannot resume and made me reboot. Any thoughts? I'm hoping this isn't a power supply thing as I have a Corsair AX860 that's only like a year old.

UPDATE: I was pouring through the BIOS settings and disabled "Suspend to RAM." The computer no longer restarts the power upon wake up, but i know get a blue screen that says "waking from hibernation." It seems as though this is a settings issue, but I have to get it to sleep and wake properly.

May not be the solution you want, but I would say disable hibernation and sleep mode. If you're overclocking at all, sleep modes can cause some instability sometimes. If you're not overclocking, make sure your ssd isn't "sleeping" either, that can cause issues too.

Disable all that sleep and hibernation garbage. It is very often problematic. Go into Control Panel>Power Options and set it to High Performance under "Other OPtions". Check the details of that option and make sure that hard drive spin down is disabled and also suspend to RAM. By default, the HIgh Performance mode will still allow the monitor to black out.

Back